Beats by dre Studio Alternatives under 200?
Mar 20, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #16 of 28
i own the turbines they are great for price imo for bassy iem

i also have AT a900 and from my experience i prefer the AT way over beats their sound stage and mids are just so much better

Mar 20, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll second the ATH-M50's
They are suppose to have plenty of bass.

There is also the Denon D1001 and Creative Aurvana Live!

Why do people love recommending stuff they've never heard?

Anyway the M50 is an alternative but it doesn't have quite the same level of bass as the Studios. I was able to replicate similar bass of the Studios on my Foobar -> LD2 rig using the M50's but it's not quite as good. I was able to get closer to the bass of the Beats Studio with the Shure SRH750. Still not quite there, though.

The closest I was able to get was with the Beyer DT770. Still wasn't quite the same, but I think this was more due to my setup not being as good as the source/amp at the Beats demo Kiosk.

Here's something you might be surprised at: the Monster Turbines sound almost exactly the same as the Beats Studios. They're IEMs but I've done direct AB testing of the Turbines and the Studios and they are practically the same phone, except one is big, has active noise cancelling and is $300 and the other is small, compact, and is like $100-$150.

Would like to do more testing here but here's a hint, if you listened to the Studios at the Beats demo kiosk, a big part of the sound you got was due to the source/amp. To get that same sound you need a similar setup. Just playing the Beats out of an iPod with no amp is not going to get you anywhere close to the same sound.

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by igotyofire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ath-m50s are a great phone, not 1 first time listener has ever dis-liked them when sharing mine to everyday normal non head-fi people. as for monster dre beats....they sounded like they could be good on the best buy rig, but they are definately not worth double the price of the M50s. no amp required for M50s, if you want a lil bit more bass thump then an amp will give u that, but u should be happy without one.

Donunus hated the M50s. He's more of a Beyer guy.
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawai_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive used the M50s and the beats straight from an ipod, though not on the same day, I could definitely tell the m50s were superior they had much better detail and a good sounding very present bass , the beats had bloated type of bass and not as good presentation of the rest of the of the music

Should take note that not everyone likes the "audiophile bass." Some people actually look for the bloated, boomy type of bass and prefer it... I'm guess the OP is one of these people.

With that in mind, if he is asking for the same bass quantity as the Studios, the M50s are going to come up short, even if they have "better bass."

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would like to do more testing here but here's a hint, if you listened to the Studios at the Beats demo kiosk, a big part of the sound you got was due to the source/amp. To get that same sound you need a similar setup. Just playing the Beats out of an iPod with no amp is not going to get you anywhere close to the same sound.

Why do people love claiming things they've never tested?

I very much doubt that the Beats were made to be amped.
They aren't audiophile headphones. Monster is quite aware that anyone who is going to be using a headphone amp/DAC is not going to within 10 feet of the Beats.

Alas, I am guilty of the same crime as you. I've never even heard the beats.. let alone test this theory....

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #23 of 28
Listened to Beats at a demo kiosk in best buy and at the apple store hooked up to an ipod. Difference is negligible, but then again I could pick out songs on the ipod, but the demo had its own songs it was playing.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #25 of 28
i heard the beats at a best buy kiosk and at an apple store straight from ipod.
i don't recall noting any difference either.

both sounded equally bad.
icon10.gif

JK. they're a decent closed phone with a mid-bass boost tall enough to go sledding on. and the noise cancelling was decent.

i'll say this, tho. the plastic headband is the thinnest and most brittle looking thing i've ever seen.
so the durability factor alone was enough for me to steer clear.

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do people love recommending stuff they've never heard?

That's pretty much why I try to stay away from recommending headphones on head-fi, and just talking about random stuff (usually related) once in a while. I just do NOT have much experience with high-end headphones yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back