Beats By Dre? Anything better for $350?
Jun 4, 2009 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Aaquib

100+ Head-Fier
A friend of mine seems to think that the Beats By Dre are the best thing ever even at $350 because "It's made by Dr.Dre and has a nice bass". What other headphones could you recommend in this price range as a replacement to the Beats?

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonchalance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At that price you hit a goldmine...

Grado SR325i
Alessandro MS2/MS2i
Audiotechnica AD900
Sennheiser HD600
AKG K701
Denon D2000

Absolutely...all of the headphones listed here BLOW the Beats totally away. I even preferred the Bose QuietComfort 2s to the Beats.

Personally I would go with either the Grado SR325is or AKG K701. Both are much much much better!

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 47
OP, do you need isolation?

There's a whole lot better at that price, especially if you don't mind open headphones. And if you need isolation, there are a number of IEMs around that price range that will destroy the Beats.

IEMs are typically going to get you better sound quality than active noise cancellation.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I regret missing out on aduditioning the Beats at Canjam...

Dre Beats at CamJam ??
confused_face_2.gif

You're kidding right ?
confused_face.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonchalance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At that price you hit a goldmine...

Grado SR325i
Alessandro MS2/MS2i
Audiotechnica AD900
Sennheiser HD600
AKG K701
Denon D2000

This. The top three won't need an amp. The D2000 sounds better with one but doesn't need one.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakooon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dre Beats at CamJam ??
confused_face_2.gif

You're kidding right ?
confused_face.gif

Not kidding, in fact, Monster Cable had the most staff at the event. They mainly promoted the Beats and Monster Turbine IEM in separate area. Additionally, they donated many things as raffle prizes. I happened to win a Monster power center in the raffle but it doesn't look like I'll get the thing for another few weeks at least.

I almost get to audition the ALO recabled Beats at ALO's table but for some reason, it didn't work with the Amphora as Ken told me.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I almost get to audition the ALO recabled Beats at ALO's table but for some reason, it didn't work with the Amphora as Ken told me.

ALO recabled beats?

What?

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 47
Hmm, I didn't find them *that* overly bassy but the supersoft dynamics were the big letdown. Cymbals sound like they are covered with a couple of blankets...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back