Beats Audio
Oct 18, 2010 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

OrionPax

Head-Fier
I know the Beats audio headphones are, well, less than to be desired. Especially by most people on this forum, but what about the laptops that come with the Beats audio mod, for example, all the new HP Envy notebooks. Is this an upgraded sound card on them, or is it just purely a marketing gimmick trying to draw in the bulk of the mainstream "audiophile" consumers? Is there truly a benefit to buying one of these laptops as opposed to any other laptop?

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 18

Quote:
or is it just purely a marketing gimmick trying to draw in the bulk of the mainstream "audiophile" consumers?

You got it. Beats Audio seems to be just a piece of software that processes the sound through a DSP. Not unlike the Crystillizer and CMSS-3D that comes in the Creative software suite that supposedly makes mp3's sound better. Hardware-wise, it has better speakers and a new design. It would sound like the Beats headphones.

You are probably better off getting any other laptop that doesn't have gaudy design (for less!) and getting a decent USB or Expresscard soundcard with the savings.

Oh, and a big welcome to Head-fi!

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 18
First off, I want to thank you for the welcoming

Secondly, I don't want you to think I'm actually contemplating buying one of these laptops. I'm an Easy Tech Associate at Staples (computer sales) and I have a number of people coming in to the store asking if we have any laptops with Beats Audio. I'm merely wondering whether I can justify wanting to shake them and yell at them to buy a USB soundcard instead of spending an extra $600 on a computer just for the words "Beats Audio" printed on it. 

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 18
Maybe you should sneak some Head-Fi flyers into the sales pamphlets
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 18
I would love to. I don't think anyone on this forum can fully appreciate how painful it is for me to help someone pick out their favorite color of Skullcandy Dub headphones. There's nothing I can do. I try to upsell to at least metro.fi 170's, but spending more than $15 on a pair of headphones is an absolute travesty to some people. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 18
Feb 3, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 18
Well...the Envy without the Beats on sound REALLY bad. My friend has it. However, that aside, Envy is still a really good laptop at its price point though...

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #9 of 18
 I recently purchased an HP Pavilion dv7 with the beats audio and could not believe how bad the sound is, there is absolutely no bass what so ever and it doesn't even recognize that it has three speakers (sub woofer plus left and right) so when you go to the control center and try to tweak it all it does is make it sound just a hair louder...totally underwhelmed with it.....does anyone have a clue on how to modify this thing so atleast it will utilize the woofer?

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 18
I have a pailion dv7 non beats audio it's a year old, are you talking about the little 1inch woofer built into the back of the laptop???, try updating the drivers and bios you can get the latest versions from the hp website.

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 18
 I recently purchased an HP Pavilion dv7-4177nr and was truly underwhelmed with the so called Beats Audio sound system...is there anyway to tweak this? (tried all the panels to max) and it doesn't seem to have the sound quality of a set of 25 dollar add on speakers...added caveat....without having to buy something on line ...thanks
Sam

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #12 of 18
been there done that....seems like the thing just doesn't want to get loud and yes that is correct about the little sub-woofer...I have an el-cheapo set of Altec-Lansing speakers w/woofer and they blow the doors off this set up.....extremely disappointing sound

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #13 of 18
The built in speakers are rubbish lol what were you expecting for built-in speakers sound and volume to rival a pa system?, the built in speakers on mine are made by altec-lansing and for some built in speakers there not that bad ,if the sub isn't working on yours i think yours has faulty hardware.

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #14 of 18
 Yeah thats what I'm thinking and no I didn't think the things would sound like a PA system but I held hope for something what with todays technology that would be less underwhelming...and your'e right Altec-Lansing has very good little add ons....got a pair hooked to the flat screen that sound very good......

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #15 of 18
I have an Envy Laptop with Beats audio and, at my work a touchsmart pc with Beats audio.  Is it "audiophile" quality?  I don't think so.  It's pretty good, about the best laptop audio I've ever had - and I've had a lot of laptops.  At my office I put the headphone out jack of the touchsmart all in one into a Lisa Portable amp and listen with various headphones.  It's a pretty nice setup and when I need to hear something through speakers, the PC speakers do the job.  I've got a setup at home on my desktop where I run the audio out through an EMU 0404 usb and then into either a Little Dot amp, or an amp preamp combo into PSB L-1 speakers.  Is the home setup better than what comes out of the Beats Audio. Yes, hands down.  However, for stuff that comes built in, the Beats is decent.  I work with a lot of PCs and various equipment so wires on my desk can be overwhelming.  Wherever I can simplify at the office is good.  I guess I think the Beats is an improvement and more than just empty marketing hype.  It's not mindblowing or awesome are fantastic, but better than standard pc audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back