Beating a dead horse, Bose AE2 review, and recommendations for something else
Jan 24, 2011 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

donedj

100+ Head-Fier
Well, first of all I do know that in the community the Bose products are low regarded, and I agree.
This is just a quick review of AE2, and then will want recommendations of something else.

A little background;

I have a long history of music, not the classic audiophile type, because I have been in music for long years. I was a DJ for about 10 years, playing in many clubs, and in various countries in Europe, then life changed and I went onto corporate world, moved up etc...
Anyways, those days of living with music in the music are gone. I worked with many types of equipment, from old Pioneer tube amps, to modern EV amps, to Yamaha full range EQs... Back in the day these equipments were expensive, mostly made in USA, Germany or Japan, and not extremely easy to find...

Anyways;

Nowadays I have some foreign assignment, and will be traveling more, and staying in hotel suites, etc... So I will need some headphones.

So it starts here;

Being the most accessible stuff out there, and supposedly high quality (which I never did own before), I went to the Bose store, and got myself AE2, and IE2 to test out, until I find the good stuff I am looking for. They offer 30 day return policy which gives ample time to try the stuff. I know this is not the forum for IE2, but they are extremely comfortable earpieces, with decent sound quality, some distorted bass, good mids, decent treble. But they are just what they are not the best in quality, but extremely comfortable.

Now for the AE2

Yes, these headphones are once again, extremely comfortable. Really great stuff. Amazing. Light, comfy, does not hurt, I wore them for about 6 hours couple days ago straight, and they did not bother me for a single minute.

The quality seems to be decent at most, definitely not worth $150. Maybe $40. Decent quality plastic, cable is thin and not confidence giver, the cups are great, looks well made, but replacements are expensive. The actual drivers, (did not really look in extreme detail) seem to be decent made, but for sure not $150 worth. They come with carrying case, and that is it.

Sound;
I am extremely mixed with this. good and bad.
The one thing that comes to sound, and how to describe it quickest is "Does no tire you".
That is the way to describe it, the sound will not tire you a bit, as I mentioned 6 hours of listening to stuff straight, just did not tire me a bit. But in the 6 hours, what you end up realizing is that the sound is tireless as well as lifeless... It feels like Bose just created a headphone that will appeal to the masses, they way they want to see. A big action Hollywood movie you see and then once you are done you forget about it... There is no deep plotline, there is no character actors, no subplots etc.

The headphones show their best offering while listening to acoustic driven music, softer stuff. While listening to various music, the Lionel Richie - Hello started, and in that song the headphones literally shined. Amazing I said, then Cindi Lauper had Time after Time, the same excellent outcome... But that is not what I always listen to.

The bass is almost non-existent with these things, very mellow, and loses itself in transition, and confusion. It does not know what to do with it. In club songs that I was listening, at times it was extremely muddy, at times it was clear but way in the background.

In conclusion;
I do not recommend these for $150. For $50 they are a good buy. For $75 a decent buy, for more no go.

After this testing of the headphones, I have decided to look and ask for advice, as I have been out of the game for quite a while.

I will be commuting a bit with these headphones, and will be using in my residence as well. I will be using my Android phone to run them, and my laptop. So the requirements become a bit of a hassle.

What I am looking for;

1 - Good/great sound quality
2 - To be used by a portable media player (smartphone), so the phones should not need an amp
3 - Must keep the sound in mostly, and not open up to outside too much (do not want to disturb people)
4 - Must be light, and in decent size (If the actual pads are the same or similar size to Bose AE2 it would be great). I do not want a 1lb brick to carry on my head. Maybe up to 8-9oz, 250gr.
5 - Price up to $200
6 - I do not like Made in China stuff, and do not find value in paying $200 for stuff that is made using $1 labor... So I would prefer made elsewhere. Of course the cheaper it gets, the more I don't care where it is made. But if the quality, sound, comfort all there, I will let myself accept the phones no matter where they are made in.
7 - I listen to all kinds of music, mostly classic rock, hard-rock, 80's metal, house/underground, brit pop, top 40... and anything else I feel like. These will be at times used for watching movies etc. I do not want a boombox, with massive amounts of base, a good clean base with good amounts of it. I am for the quality over quantity when it comes to base.
8 - No i do not want in-ear, in-canal phones.

Am I asking too much?

Well that is why I am here.
To get opinions from you guys.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 7
I suggest you check out the Audio Technica ATH-M50. I bought mine a few hours ago. Been using it for 12 straight hours and I would still want to use them except my music source battery needs some juice. Look at the ATH-M50 reviews over the net. You wont get wrong with this product.In the Philippines, they had to lower the price of the Bose AE2 to compete with the phenomenal sales of the ATH-M50. You had to reserve one to buy the ATH-M50 here. It is this good.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 7
Best you're going to do for high quality cans that can be powered by a portable is gonna be the Grado SR80i, Ultrasone HFI-580, Sennheiser HD-448, or the Audio Technica ATH-M50.

The AE2s are the first around-ears I've found to be as light and comfy as they are; perfect for portable.  It's a shame their audio range is so limited.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 7
the sennheiser HD25 1-ii fits under all your criteria, very good cans, almost legendary

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 7
I have ordered the Denon 1100s and so far pretty happy with them.
They have very well pronounced base, but I am a bit underwhelmed with the soundstage. I expected a bit more, but the burn in is not complete yet, so hopefully will get better.
Denon's are great for listening to rap, hip-hop, dance, techno, R&B, pop
But for rock, metal etc, i think they could have been a bit better.

Of course compared to Bose, no comparison. Bose is like a street hooker, Denon's are like Hollywood call girls that Charlie Sheen hangs out with :)

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I have ordered the Denon 1100s and so far pretty happy with them.
They have very well pronounced base, but I am a bit underwhelmed with the soundstage. I expected a bit more, but the burn in is not complete yet, so hopefully will get better.
Denon's are great for listening to rap, hip-hop, dance, techno, R&B, pop
But for rock, metal etc, i think they could have been a bit better.

Of course compared to Bose, no comparison. Bose is like a street hooker, Denon's are like Hollywood call girls that Charlie Sheen hangs out with :)

for half the price of the sennheiser HD25's, denon's aren't a bad choice either

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 7
You may be interested in the extensive comparison I wrote between the Triport/AE1s and the AE2s:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/540462/bose-ae2-vs-tri-port-ae1-comparison-and-review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back