Be Careful what questions you ask this guy...
Jun 5, 2008 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

djbob

100+ Head-Fier
On the advice of TomB I was looking for a set of 12fm6 tubes, so I checked ebay. Found a seller and simply asked, "Are the tubes the same brand? Which brand? Are they side or top getters?"

Here is the reply I received (I found it rather amusing
biggrin.gif
)

"YES THESE ARE 7 PIN TESTED TUBES,A PAIR OF THE SAME BRAND,GETTERS,I HAVE NO TIME TO LOOK FOR THAT,THESE ARE A FEW BUCKS A TUBE,AFTER PAY PAL AND EBAY FEEs,I MAKE NOTHING.NO-ONE IN THE WAREHOUSE WILL LOOK OR OPEN BOXES,THEY ALL PRETTY MUCH DO NOT CARE ABOUT AUDIO THINGS,these are car radio tubes."

I guess this guy was having a bad day. I think I'm going to go ahead and order a set. Afterall, his response was timely and he did answer my questions to some extent.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by djbob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the advice of TomB I was looking for a set of 12fm6 tubes, so I checked ebay. Found a seller and simply asked, "Are the tubes the same brand? Which brand? Are they side or top getters?"

Here is the reply I received (I found it rather amusing
biggrin.gif
)

"YES THESE ARE 7 PIN TESTED TUBES,A PAIR OF THE SAME BRAND,GETTERS,I HAVE NO TIME TO LOOK FOR THAT,THESE ARE A FEW BUCKS A TUBE,AFTER PAY PAL AND EBAY FEEs,I MAKE NOTHING.NO-ONE IN THE WAREHOUSE WILL LOOK OR OPEN BOXES,THEY ALL PRETTY MUCH DO NOT CARE ABOUT AUDIO THINGS,these are car radio tubes."

I guess this guy was having a bad day. I think I'm going to go ahead and order a set. Afterall, his response was timely and he did answer my questions to some extent.
rolleyes.gif

Well, at the prices, they don't want to waste their time on checking boxes. They did say they're the same brand and tested. I don't think those kind of things matter much on Max tubes, they're pretty much the same. If unsure, spend $20 and buy 5 pairs of tubes and test
tongue.gif
, I'm pretty sure you won't even tell them apart in sound.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 11
He seems a little gruff. I get kindof tired of people pulling the "I make nothing" comment. Why on earth would you do it then?

Ah well, some people just don't understand what we all here know about getting matched tubes and all that...heh... Customer service be damned!!!
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He seems a little gruff. I get kindof tired of people pulling the "I make nothing" comment. Why on earth would you do it then?

Ah well, some people just don't understand what we all here know about getting matched tubes and all that...heh... Customer service be damned!!!
tongue.gif

He may not make nothing, but he definitely doesn't make enough to go rooting through tube boxes for a customer who is buying one pair of cheap tubes. Seems legitimate to me.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 11
You get what you pay for. It is a crap shoot on customer service on cheap prices for stuff. I love dealing with guys like that. Everything is up front and not personal.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by djbob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...AFTER PAY PAL AND EBAY FEEs,I MAKE NOTHING.

This wouldn't be at a car dealership, would it?
wink.gif

From what I've been told at every dealer I've been to, they never make money on anything.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 11
Part of the game! sympathy card.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #9 of 11
Unfortunately, you'd be surprised at some of the answers I've gotten that have been much worse. That guy is typical, unfortunately. Many of them think the idea is to sell a few 300B's then retire in comfort. There are some sellers who just happen to come by them and might be helpful - but then they won't know anything about tubes anyway.

The truth of the matter is that this is what you have to expect for these kind of tubes. You kind of have to roll the dice: buy whatever you can find then compare them yourself. I would try to offer that service if I could, but there's just not enough 12FM6's left in the world.

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 11
He obviously had a bad day, or just bad temper in general.
No other reason to should like that!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back