BE AMAZED UNDER $170 (140€)
Jun 9, 2011 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

acersales

New Head-Fier
HEY! I currently have SONY MDR-V6 and got tired of them. I am looking for better sound quality. My budget is $170 or (140 euro). 

- Sound signal will be from iPod and MacBook.
- Would not like to use an amplifier.
- Do not care about make, size or shape. Just want to reach optimal sound quality and definition. 

what is your suggestion? should i stick to my sony mdr-v6? would i notice a reasonable improvement if i bought different headphones?

thank you all in advance!

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 14
thanks for your quick answer!!

I do not care about shape (closed or open), just looking for best sound i can get without amp. You recon technica m50 will offer a noticeable improvement over v6 worth the price?

thanks!!!!

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 14
Grado anything for the ultimate detail and sound quality. They have more detail than headphones twice their price but sometimes too much detail and bright treble can be harsh on sensitive unacclimated ears. Make sure you buy the best Grado you can buy, otherwise you'll suffer from ugprade-its like everybody else who's had them. The 80's are a great place to start. The newer models have great bass now with the bigger chamber. The SR-125 gives you clearer treble with less of the brightness. The 225 is the perfect can.

I've never listened to the M50's but from what I understand they're relatively good at everything, they have more audible bass. The Grado has bass too with good recordings, it's clean bass though. I'm somewhat of a Grado fanboy so wait until other people post before you decide on these. There are enough good reviews on them to justify my ravings though.

The HD25 is a portable, it sounds great even compared to it's full sized brethren, but Sennheiser makes better headphones for less money, it's just that the HD-25 is the ultimate portable headphone that you can wear outside (GASP!)

The HD-558 series with a foam removal mod is pretty good, but it's mostly for movies and games where impact, soundstage, and boomyness is sometimes more important than absolute detail.

All four will be noticeably better than the Sony MDR-V6's that you have.

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 14
What kind of music you listen to? If you like Rock then the grados would stand out but since you mentioned euros I'm not sure if they're the right option since they're quite expensive outside the US. 

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 14
HD25. Forget the Grados
Grados can only reproduce music played with actual instruments that are recorded well.
ATH M50 I've never heard before.

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 14
i have heard that hd25 are more expensive because they are portable... can i get the same sound quality in other sennheiser model although with less portability (e.g. Senn hd558)

thanks

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 14
For electronic, from what I've personally listened to, there's also the Shure SRH750DJ, Phiaton MS400, or Ultrasone HFI-780. Out of those three, I enjoy the sound of the 750DJ the most for that genre (especially anything that's bassy). However, the MS400 is more comfortable (to me). There's more cans out there, of course, but since I haven't yet listened to them myself, I'll hold off on recommending them (hopefully, folks who've listened to other cans will weigh in as well). But definitely explore and see what you turn up in reviews, or visit the headphone rec thread.

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #13 of 14
Ultrasone are great for electronic. Either the HFi 580 (or DJ1 - they are basically the same) or HFi 780. The 580 has big bass and an aggressive, fun sound, the 780 is more detailed but has harsher highs. Both have somewhat recessed mids. Personally, I find the 580 to be one of the most fun pairs of headphones I have heard, and they sound great out of an ipod, and suit fast music very well (electronic, rock, metal). The 780 are more detailed, but benefit more from amping/recabling etc. Try and find somewhere to trial one/both of them.

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 14
Ultrasones, King of EDM (Electronic Dance Music). THe HFI-780 is way more harsh and fatiguing to listen to, at least for me. The HFI-580 do have toned down highs, but still retains the "love it or hate it" Ultrasone treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back