BC mini-Meet #2: Impressions
Dec 30, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #16 of 29
Vento, some woodie AT cans, please? :p

Impressions later... shower first.
tongue.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooo, I'm a big port fan, especially tawny, but have never tried the chocolate variety! Port can pack quite a punch though, eh? I love foie gras too, but haven't tried it at Nu. I've had the Feenie burger with foie gras, that's pretty tasty
biggrin.gif

I love port too. And good quality chocolate (We can buy Leonidas Belgian for a round trip of only 42 miles.) But for a wine that is really like a chocolate tree outside your window, you should try Mas Amiel, which appears to be a fortified grenache. Don't bother buying the 10 year old one (apricot label); it isn't as good as the recent vintage (purple label). My local supplier (West Cork smalltown) now charges more for the late than the vintage, and won't be restocking the vintage when it is gone.

Quote:

Gee, we should have a foodie sub-forum on here...okay, back on topic...It is pretty impressive... I would love to get ahold of a pro-bias energiser and some SR-404's... seems silly to spend a few g-notes on a killer electrostatic amp when I have this beast sitting here.

Right, and just for respectability, so the on-topic cops don't get us...

I worked it out. All you need on Stax phones to reach 20kHz, the audio band normally given (some teenagers can hear up there) is about 10mA. 20mA will see you all the way up to the 41kHz advertised extension of the current crop of Stax earspeakers. I tried both on a tube amp I built and heard no difference except in the bass, which is at the wrong end to the theory! Musta been the Mas Amiel!

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Dec 30, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #18 of 29
First of all, gotta thank Diondi for hosting this great meet. Met a lot of nice people and had a great time testing out new gear.
I was very impressed by Nabwong's AT W10s...and they look so damn pretty.
redface.gif

I also enjoyed listening to the K701s, even though I thought the Gilmore Lite isn't the best amp for them (I didn't get to hear it with Iamsmart's Dynahi
frown.gif
).
What impressed me the most were Jeff's Cardas GR cables...my Stax 4040 system sounded very different. The sound is richer, bass had way more punch (it goes DEEP), and everything just seems to come alive. *sigh* Looks like I'm gonna have a another hole in my wallet soon.
404s with the pro-bias sounded very detailed, with great transparency. I personally found it a bit cold and shrill-sounding when listening to certain intstruments though. The Chinese Yun headphones were a surprise for me as well. I might get a pair for my girlfriend.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll post pictures shortly.

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

I'm never going to one of these meets again...
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2591896
Sorry Fidel, I couldn't wait until summer
wink.gif

Now to find a way to drive them...

Haha...judging from your excitement the other day, I knew this would happen.
lambda.gif

You should really try out the 717 amp at Commercial Electronics. You'll love'em.

Jan 10, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally unnecessary

OK, the SFT-1 was just to bolster the tower, but leave it out, and everything else is barely adequate...

I should also update the locals and say that I got a SRD-7 Pro to power my forthcoming SR-404s, and also went to Commercial Electronics to listen to the SR-007s. Will need to secure a home demo...

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #27 of 29
Haha...Jeff, I honestly don't know how much more detail you can get. Luckily you like electrostats, or you'd be purchasing the R10s/Qualia...

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha...Jeff, I honestly don't know how much more detail you can get. Luckily you like electrostats, or you'd be purchasing the R10s/Qualia...

Oh, I will go further... the Pass Labs power amp can stay, but the DAC and preamp will likely be the next stage of upgrades after I get the "earspeakers" sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back