BC mini-Meet #2: Impressions
Dec 28, 2006 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

nsjong

Headphoneus Supremus
Aw hell, I think we had more than enough equipment here!

Thanks to Fang from Head-direct for sending us some test buds! Lots were impressed by the PK2's and liked the bi-flanges on the in-ears.

Anyways, I did not know we had such hardcore listeners in BC! Seriously! Jesus, what is up with this?

Yeah, I didn't learn everyone's name this time and I doubt people had the time to do so due to the "TOWER OF MASSACRE" we have here. I think it was... Jeff?

Beats me.

Some late arrivals (nabwong and Dylan) broung the woodies of EVIL. The audio-technica W10 and the W2002 were here! Oh the madness!

What impressed me the most was the W10 and the RS1's. I fell in love with the Grado's instantly... except its price! D:

Thanks for everyone attending:
nabwong
camille
fidel (and his brother)
feckn_eejit
iamsmrt
eVITAERC

And thanks to Diondi for allowing us to host at his nice house!

C'mon guys, post the pics! I know you have them...

Dec 29, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 29
I think I'm the person you can't remember
icon10.gif

I had gobs of fun at the meet, with everyone being super-nice and talkative about their own gear. Apologies for anyone that caught a wiff of my Chinese music collection! I grew up on this stuff so I HAD to bring it (rolls eyes).

The tower of ABSOLUTE COMPLETE OVERKILL was simply awesome. 3-feet high stacks of source + power conditioner, and a 100 lb power amp, just to power a pair of Stax! It was a great first introduction to electrostatics, straight to the top of the pile with Pro-Sonus (and another) transports, Pass DAC1, Pass X2 preamp, Pass X250 (!!!) power amp all feeding the beast. That's not to mention that all this is fed from a P500 power conditioner and hooked up through thousands of dollars in CABLE. In the end the Stax were impressive, definitely the most resolving music reproduction equipment I've ever heard, and FUN! We had some great time listening rock music through those babies. Mucho thanks to feckn_eejit (and SO) for hauling all these gear.

Once again, loved the woodies, loved the RS-1, and most of all I've realized just how good the k701 is. Sorry but I still think the k501 is inferior
580smile.gif

The lack of tube amps is slightly disappointing. However the fun times and great atmosphere more than made up for it! I just wish they haven't made so many episodes of "Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series" (seriously, how long did it take to play all that!?
blink.gif
)

rock pedal rock pedal rock pedal..... I brought my..... PENCIL!
icon10.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 29
Hey, gimmie' somethin' to write on!

A bit too much VH at the meet, but what can you do!

The transport was actually a Parasound C/BD-2000, which is a belt-driven unit with internals built by CEC. The other transport which we didn't really touch was a Sonic Frontiers SFT-1. These are far from top of the heap... but nice gear nonetheless.

The power amp is a X250.5, and is apparantly 110 lbs
biggrin.gif

Cassandra got her reward for helping me with the beast - we tried Nu Restaurant, underneath the north side of the Granville street bridge. Pretty tasty, and one of the best creme brluee's I've had - simple, but just tasted perfect. I love beef tartare!

Cheers,
--jeff

Dec 29, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 29
I loved the SR-404's, will definitely need to acuqire a pair of those, preferably along with a Pro-bias energiser so I don't have to pony up for a SRM-717... it's like, Stax with BASS!!! Definitely my favourite bass I have heard from any headphone.

The surprise of the night for me was the Zhalou DAC - that thing is gonna slay once you're finished with it... but even in its current state it stood up very admirably against the mighty Pass D1.

Dec 30, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by eVITAERC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tower of ABSOLUTE COMPLETE OVERKILL was simply awesome. 3-feet high stacks of source + power conditioner, and a 100 lb power amp, just to power a pair of Stax! It was a great first introduction to electrostatics, straight to the top of the pile with Pro-Sonus (and another) transports, Pass DAC1, Pass X2 preamp, Pass X250 (!!!) power amp all feeding the beast. That's not to mention that all this is fed from a P500 power conditioner and hooked up through thousands of dollars in CABLE. In the end the Stax were impressive, definitely the most resolving music reproduction equipment I've ever heard, and FUN!

Which Stax model are you talking about (Omega II, SR-404, ...)? ..and which 100lb power amplifier did you guys use to drive it?
Some more details, and possibly even an image, would be great!
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 29
worth.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Stax model are you talking about (Omega II, SR-404, ...)? ..and which 100lb power amplifier did you guys use to drive it?
Some more details, and possibly even an image, would be great!
wink.gif

It was in fact the lowly SR-Xmk3, with a SRD-7 energiser, hooked up to my 110lb Pass Labs X250.5

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 29
here you go guys:

^tower of power --- 604 style!!!
evil_smiley.gif

and here is the 100+ lb power amp (which was truly behemoth!)

more to come in a bit. dinner time!
rs1smile.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #9 of 29
Hey guys,

Just got back from whistler. It is by far the best mountain i've ever skied on.

Thanks for hosting the meet diondi. I had fun although i couldn't stay long. It would have been nice to compare the w2002 with the w10vtg.

I'm dead tired right now. Will post pics soon. Gonna be in Vancouver till thursday. It is an awesome city!

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

^tower of power --- 604 style!!!

I'm a 778.... I feel left out
mad.gif

Sorry to Jeff for misquoting a bunch of names, I blame it on alcohol (Tawny chocolate port is awsome, btw). I'm glad you guys went to Nu. I had lots of great memories of that place. I keep going back for the fries with froe gois & truffle oil sauce alone!

The Stax SR-404 along with the Pro-bias will probably forever linger in my mind as my ideal $bling $bling setup, at least until I managed to get me grubby paws on an Orpheus. It is simply magic in a (pair of visually offending and unwieldy) box. But seriously, why is it beige-brown
rolleyes.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

I'm a 778.... I feel left out
mad.gif

oops. BC style! (since i wont leave out any non-vancouverites)
tongue.gif

i just love the Stax 404s! when i gave a listen to "When I Was a Young Girl" by Feist (as suggested by Jeff); around the 33 second mark, there is this low note of bass i haven't heard before (and i've listened to this track many many times); simply put it was fantastic! near eargasmic! just blown away!

another notable highlight would be the rockin' air guitarin' playin' stylings of Van Halen's "1984" album through sliver 325s and RS-1s! truly hilarious! Diondi is certainly hot for teacher!!!
rs1smile.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #12 of 29
Wish I were there to join you guys.

I`m new to the forum and just getting into headphones.

I just left on holidays the day you guys had your meet. My family and I are currently in Japan and I will be checking out all the headphones and amps here and may be bringing some stuff back. Any suggestions???

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was in fact the lowly SR-Xmk3, with a SRD-7 energiser, hooked up to my 110lb Pass Labs X250.5

I see!
Vintage Stax' powered by a monster amplifier. Interesting...
lambda.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by vento1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wish I were there to join you guys.

I`m new to the forum and just getting into headphones.

I just left on holidays the day you guys had your meet. My family and I are currently in Japan and I will be checking out all the headphones and amps here and may be bringing some stuff back. Any suggestions???

Bring me back a pair of SR-404 Signatures...please...

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Sorry to Jeff for misquoting a bunch of names, I blame it on alcohol (Tawny chocolate port is awsome, btw). I'm glad you guys went to Nu. I had lots of great memories of that place. I keep going back for the fries with froe gois & truffle oil sauce alone!

Ooo, I'm a big port fan, especially tawny, but have never tried the chocolate variety! Port can pack quite a punch though, eh? I love foie gras too, but haven't tried it at Nu. I've had the Feenie burger with foie gras, that's pretty tasty
biggrin.gif

Gee, we should have a foodie sub-forum on here...okay, back on topic... Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see!
Vintage Stax' powered by a monster amplifier. Interesting...
lambda.gif

It is pretty impressive... I would love to get ahold of a pro-bias energiser and some SR-404's... seems silly to spend a few g-notes on a killer electrostatic amp when I have this beast sitting here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back