Bay Area Meet (California): February 19th, 2011
Jan 3, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #136 of 527
New News:  NuForce is at CES and will be going to Asia on Feb 19th, but has offered to loan us some DACs.

I know many of us will be interested in hearing them...

As for iBasso, I have the D12 and will bring it to the meet!

Moving right along...
atsmile.gif

Quote:
I was wondering whether anyone will be bringing any portable amps, such as iBasso or NuForce products.  I'm thinking of making a move up from my PA2V2 and would like to check out options with my tank of a iH140.

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #137 of 527
Updated the diagram and the Yosemite (quiet?) room is full!

It's just the beginning of January, so I'm pretty sure the Tahoe room will be happening too...  Edit:  Both rooms are certainly hopping!

NOTES:   If I have not listed you (maybe because you had fewer items, did not have a source, or did not ask for specific space) maybe you could ask to share some table space when you see how big the set-ups are?       Or, the other room should end up pretty busy too...     This might be a great opportunity to get to know some other Head-Fiers pretty closely and/or possibly babysit some of each other's stuff so we can all look around.   I'm not sure exactly how this works, maybe a veteran could chime in from experience???

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #138 of 527

Quote:
New News:  NuForce is at CES and will be going to Asia on Feb 19th, but has offered to loan us some DACs.

I know many of us will be interested in hearing them...

As for iBasso, I have the D12 and will bring it to the meet!

Moving right along...
atsmile.gif

Quote:
I was wondering whether anyone will be bringing any portable amps, such as iBasso or NuForce products.  I'm thinking of making a move up from my PA2V2 and would like to check out options with my tank of a iH140.

This is shaping up to be a great event, especially for newbs.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #139 of 527
[size=10pt]If this post is setting up unreasonable expectations on Frank, I truly apologize to him.  I’m just thrilled that Frank Cooter is coming to the meet. There are already some very special Head-Fi members coming, but my favorite is certainly Frank. [/size]

[size=10pt]Let me share a little history.  I’ve never actually met Frank, but I spent some serious time getting to know his over-the-top DIY amp several years ago.  Here is a photo of it:[/size]
[size=10pt]http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/291921/mayberry-s-trippin-balls-fairfax-ca-cross-coastal-meet/60#post_3752675[/size]

[size=10pt]What you see on the table in the photo is my Grado HP1000 and three of the boxes that comprise Frank’s amp.  It really did have those enormous tubes in the center and those amazingly seductive glowing blue tubes on the boxes on the sides.  What you can’t see in the photo is the two arc welder power supplies (I’m not kidding!) that were sitting on the floor beneath the table.  This monster exotic tube amp transformed my Grados into something I had never heard before, nor have I heard since.  Sheer bliss![/size]

[size=10pt]Voltron’s home provided a comfortable leather recliner right next to Frank’s amp.  Most of the attendees at Voltron’s meet spent a lot of time in that chair listening to Frank’s amp.  The sound it produced was truly magic, and everyone was captivated by it. [/size]

[size=10pt]In addition to the locals, a number of the Head-Fi elite had flown in from around (and outside of) the country to discuss preparations for the national Head-Fi meet. Frank Cooter’s amp stunned everyone.[/size]

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #140 of 527
^^ And did you notice CEE TEE put you adjacent to Frank?

CEE TEE, you are doing an amazing job of getting this all together. Great thanks.

This is going to be Something...!

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #141 of 527
Just saw this thread, hopefully I'll be able to attend. My setup are barely done since moving to the bay area recently but I can help with taking pictures.

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #142 of 527
Just wondering if anyone here would like to have a Mega-mini-portable-rig meet outside Audiovisionsf at some point in the next two weeks? (Not trying to thread-jack)

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #143 of 527
^^Better to start a new thread and edit your post above to link to your "Mega-mini-portable-rig meet" you are trying to put together...that should work fine!

wink.gif

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #144 of 527
Well I was just wondering if anyone would like to go on the same day as me basically. Not really a meet, more of a group browse. :p

EDIT:

PM Me if you would like to meet at AudiovisionSF sometime in the next two weeks, we can bring our portable rigs and browse a bit!

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #145 of 527

Quote:
^^ And did you notice CEE TEE put you adjacent to Frank?

CEE TEE, you are doing an amazing job of getting this all together. Great thanks.

This is going to be Something...!

I second the thought.

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #146 of 527

Quote:
[size=10pt]Let me share a little history.  I’ve never actually met Frank, but I spent some serious time getting to know his over-the-top DIY amp several years ago.  Here is a photo of it:[/size] [size=10pt]http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/291921/mayberry-s-trippin-balls-fairfax-ca-cross-coastal-meet/60#post_3752675[/size]

Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost to make?  From Frank's initial post, he was very low key, but that is very impressive looking.

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #147 of 527

Quote:
gooky said:
Quote:
[size=10pt]Let me share a little history.  I’ve never actually met Frank, but I spent some serious time getting to know his over-the-top DIY amp several years ago.  Here is a photo of it:[/size] [size=10pt]http://www.head-fi.org/forum/t[/size]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[size=10pt]hread/291921/mayberry-s-trippin-balls-fairfax-ca-cross-coastal-meet/60#post_3752675[/size]

Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost to make?  From Frank's initial post, he was very low key, but that is very impressive looking.

Presumably Frank will be able to answer your question about the cost of his creation at CeeTee's meet next month.  The photo I linked to really doesn't do his amp justice.  It is not only a visual work of art, but an even better sound source.  The wood and metal work is pristine.  The top surfaces are copper and gorgeous.   The tubes are rare, exotic, and fascinating .  But the appearance is secondary to the sound.  The amp really is stunning.  If you read the posts in the meet impressions thread that I linked to you will quickly discover that I am not exaggerating the enthusiasm for this amp at all.  Everyone was blown away by it.

I'm very pleased that some of the Bay Area's elite are checking in for this meet. Based on my limited experience with the some of these head-fiers and their gear (from previous meets), here's my dream 'Bay Area -- Best On the Planet' system.  We really could do this.  Maybe it will happen.
  1.  Source - Top choice has to be IronButt's Bottlehead tape deck playing his master tapes.  It doesn't get any better than this.  In lieu of that we would want neilvg's hyper fancy (and expensive) EMM stack.  Even if you mortgaged your house you probably couldn't buy it -- but you probably could mortgage the EMM stack to buy your house.
  2. Interconnects - Ori's latest concoction.  They're not pretty but they sound excellent.
  3. Amp - Frank Cooter's latest creation.  Nuff said.
  4. Cans - Here I'm a little out of touch with the latest gear.  Based on what I've heard in the past I would nominate neilvg's Orpheus electrostats.
  5. Chair - Certainly the most important ingredient in any good Head-Fi experience!  Top choice is Voltron's comfy leather chair, which many of us enjoyed at his 'Mayberry on Acid' meet.
  6. Single Malt Scotch - Another critical component for any world class Head-Fi system.  Without a doubt this choice has to go to mikeymad's 30 year old Macallen. Second choice is my 10 year old Talisker.

With the possible exception of the last two items, it's really possible that we could hear this system.  If it were to happen it would literally be the best headphone system that the planet (and lucky bay area head-fiers) have ever seen.

Thanks CeeTee for putting this together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back