Bay Area Meet (California): February 19th, 2011
Jan 25, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #196 of 527
Hey CEE TEE...
For those with rigs or other equipment to set up... what time will the tables be available?
8 AM?

I didn't see anything posted on the first page, so I thought I'd ask....
wink_face.gif

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #197 of 527
Thanks to CEE TEE for doing the leg work to arrange this.

Thanks to ALL participants and vendors, and especially those bringing their equipment to show, tell and share.

Very much appreciate it from someone that has been struggling to find headphone specific gear to demo from the local retailers to make an informed decision.

Plane ticket booked!
Rental car booked!

Bag almost packed.

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #198 of 527
I just looked at the pictures in the linked to thread from the prior meet. 

I

Cannot

Keep

From

Smiling.

Awesome !!  Can't Wait !!

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #199 of 527

Cee tee,
So speaking of setting up and breaking down, do you need any assistance with the general set up before folks get there or after they break down? Or any help for that matter? Glad to volunteer to help if I can!

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #200 of 527
Set-up (for those with tables and gear) starts at 8am.

1. This weekend I am actually going to the site and doing recon...yes I may need some help after I figure out what needs to be done and I really appreciate those who have been very forthcoming and have already offered their assistance (I may call on you).

1. I'm looking forward to figuring out some of the parking information, some of the restaurants near the hotel and some additional guidance so that when you get to the Burlingame Doubletree you will have an idea of where to find us.

1. Also, I will update the first post to request that those members/attendees that can help with the $800 fee for the space to remember to bring a bit of cash to support this effort...(I have already told vendors that we just appreciate their time and expense that they are already providing to make our meet memorable.)

1. So far, only one vendor (that is still tentative) has said they might bring something for a raffle so I have not yet made any plans to hold a raffle (in case anyone was wondering).  Edit: Raffle On!!

1. As for a dinner afterwards, maybe an easy plan will work itself out after I have scouted the area but right now I am focusing on the meet itself.  Maybe another member might want to try and set one up?  Feel free to PM me and maybe I'll have some suggestions after scouting near the Doubletree.  Edit:  Max's for dinner at 5pm!

1. I will remember nametags and need to find ones large enough so that we can have our Head-Fi handles and if we wish- our actual names.  (Though I think it will be fun to hear how I have been mis-pronouncing your name in my head all this time...
    tongue.gif
    )

1. I need to check out how many powerstrips I have, PLEASE REMEMBER TO BRING SOME POWERSTRIPS.  (Been told we won't blow fuses...am sure glad we aren't "Speaker-Fi.")

1. I will also go back to some PMs that a couple of veterans were nice enough to send to me and see if I have overlooked anything that would make our day great.

Thanks for all of the support and encouragement, this is our meet coming up and we deserve it!

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #201 of 527
I think everybody needs to bring at least a $20 bill, beyond what we anticipate for food, parking, and impulse can/amp acquisitions. Forty of us and CT's deposit is covered. I bet we have the desirable problem of deciding what to do with the excess.

I wouldn't spend a lot of time researching restaurants. Most people will have to go home to the spouse and kids or other obligations, leaving a hardcore group who cannot tear themselves away.

Perhaps there is a Burlingame native among us who likes to dine out and knows the best local watering holes and troughs? I can speak authoritatively about Palo Alto and environs, but Burlingame is a foreign country. We can improvise on the day in question, methinks.  An easy option, failing other suggestions, is the Chutney Grill in the hotel, open till 10 pm.

I just noticed there is a Max's a short drive away, same side of the freeway.

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #202 of 527
Thanks, renlute.   I have a close friend that lived in Burlingame but a restaurant scalable to whomever hangs in there is a qualification- exact attendance is probably not feasible...

Edit:  15-20 reserved for the Banquet Room at Max's around a couple corners from the DoubleTree Hotel and meet.  I will hand out maps on how to get there at the meet, address on the picture of the location in the first post.

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #204 of 527
I don't eat often in Burlingame, but I know the area reasonably well.  If you look on a map, you will see that the Doubletree is on sort of a man-made island east of Hwy 101.  For eats and drinks you can just take Airport Blvd back towards the freeway, cross it and you will be on Broadway.  There are many decent places to eat there- Village Host Pizza, Japanese, Chinese, etc.  You can also go about a mile south (take either California Dr. or El Camino Real- they run parallel) and check out Burlingame Ave.  I would say the food here is a little better in choice and quality.  Also yes, Max's would be a good choice- it's just at the top of the map.

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #205 of 527
I just phoned Max's Burlingame, which is a little over half a mile away, a 3-minute drive. I asked about the possibility of a group of 10-20 people showing up on short notice around 5-6 pm on a Saturday.

"No problem," the reservationist said. They have a banquet room which can accommodate up to 45. We should call them in advance, on Saturday afternoon or before, if the idea appeals.

http://www.maxsworld.com/maxs/locations.php?Id=17

The Max's restaurants (I know the ones on Van Ness in the City and in Stanford Shopping Center) tend to be large, the prices are moderate, food interesting though generally not great -- but there's a broad array, something for every taste -- and yelp reviewers point out that portions are large. In any case it's convenient and easy to find. I didn't ask about parking but there's not going to be a shortage there.

This would likely not be a culinary experience as legendary as the auditory experience of some of the gear we will probably be hearing that day, but it would be easy to find, get to, and pay for, and there seems to be enough capacity.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #207 of 527
Max's sounds great!!  Thanks for the suggestion and calling to see if they could accommodate us... 

For those of you who don't know Max's restaurants, they have two signs on the door as you walk in:

"A good place for a diet."

"A bad place for a diet."

They have BIG deli sandwiches and great food (I enjoy it) as well as BIG desserts and BIG drinks.

I will have to attend even if exhausted!!

Edit: Max's at 5pm booked.  See first post in thread for pictures and additional details.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #208 of 527
Teaser:  There will be a raffle after all...

Sneak Peek:  There will be an audiologist as well...

(Details to follow this weekend!)

Edit:  Please see first post in this thread for more details!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back