Bassy Headphone Amp as good as the Dre Beats Amp?
Mar 15, 2010 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mochan

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, I know Monster and Dre get a really bad rep around here, but for those who aren't in auto-flame mode please here me out.

Have you tried the Dre Beats demo kiosk? It has some Beats HPs rigged to an amp. And man does that amp rock. I'm not that impressed by the Dre Beats headphones themselves -- their SQ is about the same as the Monster Turbines (which many here loved once upon a time) and that in turn is pretty close to UE's Metro Fi line.

What I have discovered through testing and ABing is that the sound that I loved from the Beats Studios was a result of that wonderful amp in that demo kiosk.

So if anyone has heard that demo kiosk amp, can someone recommend me an amp that I can buy that has the same raw, powerful bass as that amp? Or which can handle it?

I tried replicating the sound using Foobar and my Little Dot Mk2 and while I came reasonably close, the impact on the low end wasn't quite the same. If someone could point me to the right amp / DAP combo to do this I would be grateful.

If there is a portable amp that can do it... even better.

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 6
Only a few amps out there have bass boost built in.
Most are made to be kinda neutral-ish, although theyre not really, but they dont have huge bass like you want.

If you want big bass, get a player that has a decent EQ/BassBoost adjustment, and combine that with headphones that have the bass you want, and get a good amp with punch like a Portaphile Maxxed, RSA Hornet, or something like that.

Alot of the tone adjustments on players distort the sound or clip though.

Some of that bass you heard at that kiosk may be the production of their special demo CD itself, and may not have been associated equipment.

You could remaster all your music and record it with an EQ and then put it on your player if you want to go through the trouble.

My little C&C Box+ has a bass boost that works pretty well.
When using my M-Audio Q40 > C&C Box+ w/BassBoost on > Zune set on Acoustic EQ setting,............The bass on R&B tracks is crazy!

Mar 15, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Or if you get any DIY amp, adding adjustable bass boost takes about an hour and costs a mere $25 in parts.
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 6
Well doesn't necessarily need a bass boost built into the amp. I can always just EQ the source, what I'm really asking is what amp can keep up with the heavy bass EQ to provide the same effect.

I tried doing this with the Little Dot Mk.II and it couldn't keep up with it, didn't quite deliver the same visceral bass impact.

So you think it has more to do with the way the track was mastered? I guess that makes sense. I currently used FLACs in Foobar -> EQd to how I thought it would sound -> LD2 -> DT770 and Turbines and got a similar bass effect, but not quite exactly the same. It could just be the track.

I AB'd the Turbines at the Beats Demo Kiosk and they sound almost exactly the same as the Beats Studios so I know that the Turbines are capable of producing the sound, and the DT770 can easily keep up with the Turbines. Guess I just need to play around to really get that same sound, but if I have to remaster tracks to do it it wouldn't be worth effort.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Preamp with equalizer?

This is sort of what I was thinking. Any recommends for a good pre-amp to use? I already have a LD Mk.2 so something that can work with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back