Bassheads Only? Sony Announces "Extra Bass" Series
Sep 25, 2008 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

kjk1281

1000+ Head-Fier
Bassheads rejoice! Sony announced a new series of headphones and canalphones designed specifically for low frequency response. Patented technologies such as the "Direct Vibe Structure" and "XB Driver Units" ensure that your eardrums will receive more bass than you could ever want or need. The XB700 in particular boasts an outrageous frequency response of 3Hz to 28kHz. The XB series should be available in Japan in November.

er0go4.jpg

MDR-XB20EX (left) and MDR-XB40EX

15x652h.jpg

From left to right: MDR-XB700, MDR-XB500, and MDR-XB300

「EX BASS」シリーズのカナル型イヤフォン AV Watch (Japanese)
低域重視の新ヘッドフォン「EXTRA BASS」シリーズ AV Watch(Japanese)

Well, at least the canalphones look good.
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 41
Since it is from Sony, I'll say as usual 85% of what they claimed is marketing, like any other big brand.

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 41
I really need to work on my sarcasm.
frown.gif
I knew I should have used my 'awesome' smiley (
2vt88wi.gif
).

Back on topic: I just found out that the XB headphones use a cable that's only 1.2m long. I really can't imagine anybody using these as portables.
redface.gif

What's really sad is that this tread already has more views than the ES55 thread. Those headphones are the same MSRP (~$120) as the XB700 but look like mini-ES7s, although there's no telling how they'll sound.

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 41
The size of those pads are bordering on being obnoxious in appearance.

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 41
Big as they may be, they sure do look uber comfy <3

Sep 27, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 41
Wear those outside and you'll get punched randomly in the face.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #13 of 41
Resurrecting this older thread somewhat but I haven't seen much written about the XB series.

Briefly auditioned the XB 700 at Sim Lim Square in Singapore this afternoon. Unfortunately I didn't have my Zune on me, so music was supplied by Sony (and could be coloured by the music they use to test devices).

Build looks interesting. It's light like an SA series and feels a bit fragile, however, the finish is pretty tight and the flat cables certainly add to the appeal of the unit.

Comfort was absolutely amazing. Warm on the ears, but soft soft soft. I think I could do a 3-4 hour stretch in these, no problems. Felt like they disappeared on my head. They were extremely light and felt secure (I have a narrow head, so there could be clamping issues for larger noggins).

Isolation was again, a surprise. I've read a few translated Japanese reviews that were a bit scathing on isolation. My wife was along with me and she could not hear the music once I put the cans on, so leakage was minimal to none. I could not hear her or the background din of a very crowded mall once the music started so in my opinion, I'd say they isolate well. Perfect for the office (which may be my preference with these cans).

Now, onto the sound. As I mentioned, I didn't have my own music with me, so I can't easily compare. They are bass heavy, but the bass isn't as sloppy as I was expecting it to be. In fact, if I had to compare the sound, it is similar to my Eggo D66 but a bit richer and fuller. Being closed the soundstage is much closer than the Eggo also. Overall, a non-fatiguing sound that enjoyed a lot. Definitely not analytical, more groove for your money though
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll likely pull the trigger on these in the next few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back