Basshead open-backed headphones?
Apr 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bassophile

100+ Head-Fier
The LCD2/3 is out of my budget, unfortunately.

I find the bass on my HD650's a bit lacking, but people will probably tell me I'm stupid for saying that because apparently they are some of the most bass-heavy open-backed headphones you can get.

I was thinking about the Ultrasone HFI 2400, or Phillips Fidelio X1, or Beyerdynamic DT990 as these are the only headphones I have heard about that are open-backed yet offer significant bass response, but yet I've seen it said at least once (for each of these headphones) that the HD650 is actually bassier than all of them!!

Is that true? And is there any other option in the mid-fi price range?

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 15
The HE-400 is the closest thing you'll get to the LCD2 bass, if you were looking specifically for LCD2 bass.  It's not truly a basshead headphone, although it has a good amount of bass and extension.  It EQs really well so you can blast your brain out with it if you EQ the bass up.

HD650 are not bass heavy at all.

DT990 will be the cheapest you'll get an open bassy headphone.  It has more mid-bass and less sub-bass than HE-400, but also a more fatiguing treble.

May 1, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
Look into the Philips Fidelio X1. Tyll at InnerFidelity claims they are the best basshead open backed headphones.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

Thanks.

The only things is that I've definately read a comment on here that they A/B'd the X1 with the HD650 and said the HD650 had more bass.

I do usually trust Tyll, but haha, ever since he said the Shire 840's are 'v-shaped' in sound signature I dunno....

May 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Thanks.

The only things is that I've definately read a comment on here that they A/B'd the X1 with the HD650 and said the HD650 had more bass.

I do usually trust Tyll, but haha, ever since he said the Shire 840's are 'v-shaped' in sound signature I dunno....

Yeah, Tyll definitely says some iffy things sometimes but I would too if I had that many headphones! You'd forget what all the rest sounded like haha. I can't speak for the HD650's or the Fidelio X1, all I know is that his review of the X1 made me very angry... angry that I now have yet another headphone I want. WHEN DOES THIS HEAD-FI MADNESS STOP?!

May 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Got a link? I'm certainly fallible.

One of the things I always do is read threads here about cans I'm reviewing (I often take an entire day doing so),   if some part of my impressions go against the common wisdom I do so with great trepidation. The three resources I have are measurements, the common wisdom, and my own impressions...probably in that order of importance. I know I'm fallible, so I tend to be very skeptical of my impressions. 

May 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Got a link? I'm certainly fallible.

One of the things I always do is read threads here about cans I'm reviewing (I often take an entire day doing so),   if some part of my impressions go against the common wisdom I do so with great trepidation. The three resources I have are measurements, the common wisdom, and my own impressions...probably in that order of importance. I know I'm fallible, so I tend to be very skeptical of my impressions. 

Hi Tyll,

Meant you no disrespect, and I still value your opinion.

Here is the link;

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

You actually said they were 'u-shaped' not 'v-shaped' - but I take the two to mean similar things? (Unlike 'n-shaped' which would be the opposite with recessed bass and treble offset by forward mids.) This is pretty much the only occasion where what you've said flew in the face of most of the stuff I've read on head-fi, which has claimed that the Shure SRH840 is, if anything, quite forward in the mids.

A further question Tyll, would you say that the DT880 (2005 Ed.) actually has less bass than the HD650, or if it has pretty similar bass, but it's only that the more emphasized treble make it seem like it has less? This is something I've been wondering about for a while.

Anyway, all the best - cheers!

May 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 15
I'd say HE-400 for some serious open can bass. Great quality bass, and if you eq, you have great quantity too. Suddenly got the urge for some bassyness!

May 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 15
What is your current source & amplification?

DT-990's are completely different sounding than the 650's (the Beyer's lust at treble). I would consider switching to a nice pair of closed headphones (the 'dark side').

Users who are viewing this thread

Back