Basshead needs new earphones. Narrowed it down but need help to decide which one!
Jul 11, 2010 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

balleballe

New Head-Fier
So, my sony mdr-ex85's broke a while ago and i'm trying to replace them. I have tried a few IEM's and their base is seriously lacking when compared to mdr-ex85. I have narrowed it down to the following options:

1. Radium's atomic bass
  2. Soundmagic's pl-11
  3. Fischer Audio's eterna (off ebay)
  4. Audio Technica ATH-CKS70 "solid bass"
  5. Another pair of MDR-EX85

Any help is appreciated guys. I can't trial any of them so have to buy them to find out what they sound like.

Thanks

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
I've been put off by some people saying the treble is harsh.  Also, I cannot find a place that sells them in the UK, or that ships to the UK.  Thnks for your input

I don't think the treble is harsh. At all. I think they sound too warm!

They're great for Hip-Hop/Rap, Electronica & Rock. And I do mean really great for the price.
I'd be careful with Acoustic and especially Classical music, though.

Sorry, I haven't heard any other IEM on your list.

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 13
Hippo VB

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 13
If you fear hard-edged treble I'd go with the ViSang R03 (off ebay) aka the Brainwavz M2 or the Eterna. 

The bass freqs are complete garbage and the Vibes aren't built very well and even if they were the R03/Eterna/VB are several tiers up in sound quality.

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 13
ok great.  I've heard the eterna V2 is not as good as the original and the ebay seller that had the original is now sold out.  I can get a real good deal on both the s-jays (discontinued now) and the j-jays as well.

The hippo VB with postage works out at £65
The Brainwavz M2 / vising R03 works out at £38
The s-jays work out at £28
the j-jays work out at £22

Ideally I wouldn't want to go over £40, and I can get the jays here in the UK - so I am swaying towards those.  I don't know why the s-jays were discontinued, but they seem to be bang on the money judging from reviews.  Which ever option offers most bang-for-your-buck while being big on bass (the type i'm used to from my sony's)....i'll go for

So many to pick from, so little money (as is the case with most of us, lol)

Jul 25, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #11 of 13
I've read the midbass hump is what most casual listeners refer to as bass?  I don't quite understand the difference between sub-bass and mid-bass, all I know is that i'm after a thumping bass sound,  I've always considered my sony's to provide this but i've read reviews stating that their bass is incomplete and not 'full' - which confuses me as I've not heard an IEM with more bass.....

As you can tell, i'm a noob in this area - which is why i'm counting on the advice from those with more experience

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #13 of 13
Sub bass is the bass at very low frequency, according to wiki it's below 90Hz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-bass

Mid bass is bass at a higher frequency. According to this page it's somewhere from 70Hz to 150Hz (lower or higher): http://www.atlantictechnology.com/default.asp?IsDev=False&NodeId=117#M

A lot of earphones do not extend all the way into the sub bass without some sort of significant roll off. Anyway if I were you I'd taken ljokerl's and ClieOS's advice. Well, welcome to head-fi and sorry for your wallet. If you have chance to listen to some top tier earphones then you will know what you had been missing 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back