Bass Slam...Fact or Fiction?
Nov 16, 2013 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

imackler

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all! Got a question for you from a non-science guy...though I wish I were. Do you think some amps give more bass slam than others? Is bass slam subjective or is there science behind it? Subjectively, I seem to like amps that give bass slam to the HD600 and currently looking for one with the T50RP. People seem to suggest it has to do with voltage swing, but I really don't understand this stuff. I'm a little afraid that I think my Objective2 doesn't have "bass slam" because people say it doesn't and that the SR71A does because people say it does. Also curious, if it does exist, do you think bass slam a coloring? Really curious what you all think.

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 24
It is usually down to two factors:
- lack of proper level matching (very common) - louder sound is perceived to have more bass; a more powerful amp with (usually) higher gain is more likely to be run louder, because people are sub-consciously biased towards matching the position of the volume knobs, rather than the actual loudness, which is not easy to judge accurately by ear
- output impedance; with full size dynamic headphones, increasing the output impedance of the amplifier usually adds a varying amount of bass boost. It also slightly increases the bass distortion of the driver, though

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 24
Do you think some amps give more bass slam than others?

First you have to define bass slam. Hint: you probably can't because it's a meaningless description. Only four parameters affect audio fidelity: Frequency response, noise, distortion, and time-based errors (wow, flutter, jitter). Anything else is just empty words that mean different things to different people.

--Ethan

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 24
Every time I see a post on this forum from Ethan Winer, I get excited. :)

Thank you, Mr. Winer, for doing so much for audio reproduction, I wanted to take a moment to say that. People like you, Julian Hirsch, Ken Pohlmann, Bob Ludwig (all in different fields) have been my heroes since my teenage years at the start of hi-fi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 24
Not really science here or amplification. I think more to do with driver itself. I would describe "slam" as the thick heaviness in the attack of a bass response. At same SPL levels 2 different IEMs can have dramatically different levels of slam. Like W3 versus ER4.

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 24
I'm a little afraid that I think my Objective2 doesn't have "bass slam" because people say it doesn't and that the SR71A does because people say it does. Also curious, if it does exist, do you think bass slam a coloring? Really curious what you all think.

Next you'll say you were abducted and probed by aliens because some people say you were. And these people also said the spaceship had an awesome sound system...all the exotic metals and physics, you know.

The reason 'science' exists is because we don't and can't rely on what others say most of the time. Whom do you trust more? Science or other people?

Your choice.

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 24

And that is why I came to this part of the forum looking for answers! 

The question was, "Science or other people?"

I wonder what Head-Fiers are....

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 24
I remember when I was abducted by aliens, their spaceship had a 120 inch subwoofer that was so loud, it must have been over 180 decibels at 20 hertz. These aliens must really know about achieving loud bass.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 24
I guess that was quite

a slam!

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 24
It doesn't make sense to look for *bass slam* in an amp. It typically means a high output impedance, which often leads to a fatiguing sound. That's not "bass slam", that's destruction of fidelity. Ideally you want the output impedance to not affect the headphones at all. The HD600 is not a headphone with lots of bass, if that's what's meant by 'bass slam'. Get headphones that have strong bass response if you care about that.. Don't mess up the HD600's bass quality by using the wrong amp.

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 24
Is the CSD the most important measurement of time-based errors for headphones and IEMs?

CSD is actually related to frequency response, since both are derived from the impulse response. It is not a measurement of time based errors like jitter, as it assumes that a linear time invariant system is being measured.

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #14 of 24
I wonder what a similar term for treble would be.....Treble Shriek?

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #15 of 24
The perhaps loosely defined term "bass slam", to me means well covered (perhaps ~ 0 to 3 dB emphasis) mid to upper bass frequency response area (~100 to 250 Hz), relative to the rest of the frequency response spectrum. 

The closest to treble "shriek" I think I know would be "pierce" which maybe emphasis in the ~8 to 12.5 kHz area. For example, my now sold DT-990 where a bit piercing... IMO, YMMV, AFAIK, FWIW, FYI, ISTR, XYZ, 123.

As far as the O2 being bass light or perhaps give the perception of bass lightness... or lack of "bass slam"... I dunno, haven't heard phones driven by the O2 yet 
frown.gif
, but will check it out next time if I have a chance 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back