Bass Slam...Fact or Fiction?
Nov 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #16 of 24
It doesn't make sense to look for *bass slam* in an amp. It typically means a high output impedance, which often leads to a fatiguing sound. That's not "bass slam", that's destruction of fidelity. Ideally you want the output impedance to not affect the headphones at all. The HD600 is not a headphone with lots of bass, if that's what's meant by 'bass slam'. Get headphones that have strong bass response if you care about that.. Don't mess up the HD600's bass quality by using the wrong amp.

If you want bass slam, get earphones, not headphones.

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #18 of 24
1YvFoBJ.gif

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #19 of 24
For treble this would suffice:
the-scream-edvard-munch2.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #20 of 24
For treble this would suffice:
the-scream-edvard-munch2.gif

I've been staring at that for two minutes now and I think it is stealing my soul.

As for "bass slam", I've used the term before and I meant pretty much exactly what ultrabike mentioned - a boost in the frequency response around the mid-bass and upper-bass frequency ranges which gives an exaggerated feeling of, well, "slam" in percussion instruments, synthesized beats and the like.

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #21 of 24
Much prefer the original:

http://www.google.com/search?q=the+scream+munch&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=x_WZUo6HBcr0oASf-IHoDQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA#biv=i%7C47%3Bd%7ChMMz-uyujw7VmM%3A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #22 of 24
Thought I'd share a little bit of info from outside areas, on drummer forums somebody was asking what made one kick drum sound more punchy / have more slam to it than another. Going along with anetode, what I've heard is that the 40-60 Hz range provides the punch you feel, and the higher frequencies are responsible for the slam you hear.

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #23 of 24
what I've heard is that the 40-60 Hz range provides the punch you feel, and the higher frequencies are responsible for the slam you hear.

Yes, the sound and feel of a kick drum (and anything else) is due entirely to the frequencies present and at what level. There is no magic. A basic FFT display will show exactly what's going on.

--Ethan

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #24 of 24
Those earphones certainly do not have the same frequency response (that is same SPL at all frequencies).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back