Bass - happy medium between Darth 770s and HD650s?
Jul 20, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #16 of 27
I wasn't talking about ownage, I'm just talking about simple reproduction of sound. On the grados, it don't go down there.

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I wasn't talking about ownage, I'm just talking about simple reproduction of sound. On the grados, it don't go down there.

To a certain extent, I will agree.

To get back on topic, I'm not going to recommend anything I haven't heard, but it might be worth your time to see what a grado can with flats will do for you. Or maybe try a cable upgrade?

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I have no doubt that PS-1 with Cpads would...

I really want to find someone with this combo and get impressions - unported C-pads and PS-1 would probably leave nothing but a smoking stump in place of a head
biggrin.gif

I prefer the bass of my SR225 and C-pads to my DT770, and they're just all-round more musical.

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
I really want to find someone with this combo and get impressions - unported C-pads and PS-1 would probably leave nothing but a smoking stump in place of a head
biggrin.gif

I prefer the bass of my SR225 and C-pads to my DT770, and they're just all-round more musical.

Yeah I can't imagine the PS-1 with unported Zetas. Even with my HP-2 I have to keep all the ports open to stay sane.

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #21 of 27
IMO there is no substitute for bass extension. And I don't think "a can (open or closed) that combines the positive bass attributes (IMO) of the Darth 770s and the HD650s" would lack the DEEPNESS.

Beyer DT-250 or DT990! Also, no personal experience with them, but the Ultrasone PROline 750s are supposed to have some incredible bass.

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #22 of 27
Salt Peanuts has both PS-1's with Zeta Flat Port C-Pads (used to have closed Beta) and screened woody 770 Darth Beyers so he would be able to shed some light if someone asked...

Jul 21, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #24 of 27
After messing around with the EQ, I've gotta say that the Darth's bass is sounding much, much better - very prominent but controlled, the way I had always hoped they would. I realized that using the SMv3 bass boost switch with already bass-heavy cans was just overkill (please no
rolleyes.gif
from anyone...). It is obviously better suited for more bass-light phones, although the E5s do sound pretty amazing and controlled with the switch on. I've decided on using the Latin EQ Ipod preset which gives the Darths control over an added bass presence, as well as sparkles the highs (again, please no
rolleyes.gif
from all you "non-EQ" elitist...).

I know preset EQ's are next to useless, and I understand colored sound is not what an audiophile looks for. But from my limited experience, I've never heard what I would consider a "neutral" can to begin with, so my rationale with EQing at this point is "Go with the flow..."

Just IMO (preparing flame suit). I know I don't know much, but I know I'm significantly happier.

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAYTA
After messing around with the EQ, I've gotta say that the Darth's bass is sounding much, much better - very prominent but controlled, the way I had always hoped they would. I realized that using the SMv3 bass boost switch with already bass-heavy cans was just overkill (please no
rolleyes.gif
from anyone...). It is obviously better suited for more bass-light phones, although the E5s do sound pretty amazing and controlled with the switch on. I've decided on using the Latin EQ Ipod preset which gives the Darths control over an added bass presence, as well as sparkles the highs (again, please no
rolleyes.gif
from all you "non-EQ" elitist...).

I know preset EQ's are next to useless, and I understand colored sound is not what an audiophile looks for. But from my limited experience, I've never heard what I would consider a "neutral" can to begin with, so my rationale with EQing at this point is "Go with the flow..."

Just IMO (preparing flame suit). I know I don't know much, but I know I'm significantly happier.

There's nothing at all wrong with liking colored sound. Heck, the choice in headphones is just the distinction between flavors and colors! EQs, many believe, "muddies" the sound, but if you don't mind, it's your music, so whatever.

I still can't believe HD650s with bass boost wasn't enough for you, though. That's crazy talk from where I'm sitting.

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #26 of 27
DT880's.

Jul 27, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #27 of 27
The PS1s (with beta Cpads) are IMHO the perfect headphone. They have every bit of the depth of the DT770s (maybe more), while being clear and precise through the whole spectrum. I just ran them through the "Zemo Rocks" test tracks from this site and am now listening to the DVD mix of the Flaming Lips - Zaireeka. This is how music sounds, not how it sounds in headphones, or on stereo, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back