Bass - happy medium between Darth 770s and HD650s?
Jul 20, 2005 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

DAYTA

New Head-Fier
Just as the title says, is there a can (open or closed) that combines the positive bass attributes (IMO) of the Darth 770s and the HD650s?

I'm finding that when I use the bass boost on my SMv3 with the Darths there is an INSANE amount of bass, but so much so that I believe the vibrations from the woodies disrupt the path of the treble and mids to my ears, resulting in a somewhat boomy/grainy presentation.

With the HD650s I've heard paired with the SMv3, I love their overall clarity and accurate, albeit slightly colored, bass response. However, even with the bass boost switch on, I find myself desiring a bit more presence in the lower region.

So bottom-line, is there a can out there with the bass presence of the Darth 770s and the bass accuracy/control of the HD650s???

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 27
You've got quite a request lol. Hmm, maybe a deep-can grado with CPads? Grado provides the slam, Cpads capture that bass air. I have no doubt that PS-1 with Cpads would...actually nevermind, it would be even more bassy than the DT770 lol. Maybe the 325/MS2 with CPads? Or an RS-1 with Cpads? Something like that.

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I have no doubt that PS-1 with Cpads would...actually nevermind, it would be even more bassy than the DT770 lol.

No way, Jahn.....I've never heard them before (though I'd really like to), but do you think the PS-1s w/ C-pads really have more bass than the Darths? I thought the 770s, even stock, were unsurpassed in terms of bass quantity.

I should also clarify that although I am an admitted basshead, I enjoy clarity across the spectrum. I'm not looking to simply strap two subs to my head......

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 27
The PS-1s are a very bassy headphone, I consider it the bassheads reference phone. If they weren't so expensive I'd nab a pair in a minute. You may want to try the DT990, they are basically the open version of the DT770, you still get satisfying bass however it is not as overblown as the DT770 which makes it a much more balanced sounding phone. If you shop around you should be able to find a new pair in the $150-200 range.

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAYTA
No way, Jahn.....I've never heard them before (though I'd really like to), but do you think the PS-1s w/ C-pads really have more bass than the Darths? I thought the 770s, even stock, were unsurpassed in terms of bass quantity.

I should also clarify that although I am an admitted basshead, I enjoy clarity across the spectrum. I'm not looking to simply strap two subs to my head......

I dont think so. IMHO any Grado has just as much bass as a darth beyer

edit:
and if you've never heard PS-1's, who are you to say they won't have 100x the bass of the darth?

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 27
I'm sorry, I have the RS1 and maple darth beyers. The RS1s particularly DO NOT have anything approaching the low bass that hte 770s have. Unfortunately, that's why I have PS1 lust. Anyone hate their PS1s, and want something else? PM me for trade potentials
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I'm sorry, I have the RS1 and maple darth beyers. The RS1s particularly DO NOT have anything approaching the low bass that hte 770s have. Unfortunately, that's why I have PS1 lust. Anyone hate their PS1s, and want something else? PM me for trade potentials
smily_headphones1.gif

I find the beyer bass to be hidden. It only comes out at reasonably loud volumes. I still think my Grado SR60 was better down low than the beyers were.

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb367
I dont think so. IMHO any Grado has just as much bass as a darth beyer

edit:
and if you've never heard PS-1's, who are you to say they won't have 100x the bass of the darth?

I never said the PS-1's WON'T have equal amounts of bass to the Darths because like I said before, I've personally never heard them - which was why I asked the question in the first place.

And if we're talking about the same thing, you're the first person I can think of that feels any Grado has the same levels of bass (quantity-wise) as the Darths (and I've heard the entire current Grado line except for the PS-1s, so yes I can say that... )

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAYTA
I never said the PS-1's WON'T have equal amounts of bass to the Darths because like I said before, I've personally never heard them - which was why I asked the question in the first place.

And if we're talking about the same thing, you're the first person I can think of that feels any Grado has the same levels of bass (quantity-wise) as the Darths (and I've heard the entire current Grado line except for the PS-1s, so yes I can say that... )

I understand. It seemed that you said the PS1 wouldn't have as much bass as the 770. I stand corrected. I guess this shows my average feelings about the darth beyer's.

edit:
I also think my grado bass king statement would be better reflected by impact, not bass. I bet if I really listened, the 770 would extend past a grado, but I take more liking to the grado impact.

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 27
I've been doing some pretty careful listening over the last few days, and the RS1s in particular, when driven by a blueberry audio emotion+ amp (627s biased to class A), don't extend anywhere near as low as the 770s. Even if I use an EQ and boost 36hz by 12db, there's nothing there. The bass it does reproduce sounds good, it's just not the same.
basshead.gif
rs1smile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I've been doing some pretty careful listening over the last few days, and the RS1s in particular, when driven by a blueberry audio emotion+ amp (627s biased to class A), don't extend anywhere near as low as the 770s. Even if I use an EQ and boost 36hz by 12db, there's nothing there. The bass it does reproduce sounds good, it's just not the same.
basshead.gif
rs1smile.gif
orphsmile.gif

And I have done alot of carefull listening and the SR60 with no bass boost owns the 770. Its all relative huh?

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 27
Bass Slam = Grado. DT770 can't hold a candle to it.

Bass depth, like you just Brown Noised yourself = DT770. Oops I Crapped My Pants.

PS-1. Scary. Grado Slam and the depth charge. Like someone crapped in a diaper and hit you upside the head with it. PS-1 with flats from the right amp (Melos Maestrobator) will destroy you. Honestly, I thought I was a basshead, but the PS-1 proved me wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back