Bass clipping (I think) on HD 595 -- looking for advice
Mar 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #46 of 65
Got the K601s. I have played Birdland once at about the same volume, and they survived. ;^) Considerably less bass than the 595s though so it didn't feel like it was stressing the headphones as much.

For piano, at least, I can't tell the difference between the V-Can and the NAD hi-fi amp.
Pianos (in the piano software I am using, at least - Pianoteq) now sound brighter and airier, partly due to less bass, and partly because of the good midtone response (? I think) I feel the need to EQ some bass back in though.

Greg.

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #47 of 65
Just an update: I am finding that the V-Can is clipping when I play solo piano at a loud level (i.e as in me actually playing the digital piano sound on the piano, live). When I switch to the NAD 320BEE's headphone output, this clipping disappears.

The K601s are still going strong and I love them. These headphones have quite a high impedance and I'm guessing this is causing the problem for the V-Can.

Since I can't tell the difference in fidelity between the two amps, I see no reason to continue using the V-Can. In fact, I may as well sell it.

Note that I am not doing the heavy bass pounding that I mentioned earlier in the thread - I'm just playing normally. When I increase the V-Can's volume control so that the level is "a bit loud", there is harsh clipping on the attack transients.

The NAD's headphone amp must be a pretty good one I think.

Greg.

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #48 of 65
Are you using the V-Can out of your PC at all? Like hp out to the V-Can?

EDIT: Read your first post and I had the same situation a while back with bass distortion.

There are three possibilities here:
1) The soundcard is actually not getting enough power.
2) You have the soundcards' volume up to loud, thus clipping occurs.
3) You are applying too much volume to the card (having pc volume maxed, then increasing it further with software volume boost)

Try setting the max PC volume to 60%-75% and also lower the apps volume a little bit.

On my pc with my X-Can if I have the PC volume maxed as well as VLC's I get a lot of clipping/distortion. Lowering the volume to the numbers I listed got rid of the issue.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #49 of 65
Possibility 4) The V-Can can't drive my headphones as well as my NAD integrated amp. It's going.

I am driving the amp with consumer level line levels. When I reduce the volume of the V-Can slightly (by turning the V-Can's own volume control knob down), the clipping disappears. With the same line level signal connected to the NAD amp, the clipping does not occur, and I can adjust the NAD to a comfortably loud level.

I've said it before - playing a piano like this IS demanding on a system, and needs good components.

Greg.

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #50 of 65
it's possible, the HD595's do require a lot of current to drive without distortion.

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #51 of 65
These are not HD595's - they are Akai K601s. (I was using HD595's - see my earlier posts in this thread - I got rid of them).

As I said, the K601s have a rather high impedance, so I'm assuming that the V-Can doesn't have sufficient *voltage* to drive them. I've never had a problem listening to music with them through the V-Can - I think the problem is that when one plays solo piano, live, we tend to have the volume up higher, so that the experience is like playing a real piano. Also, commercial music is often heavily compressed to make it easier to listen to - I am playing very dynamic piano sounds.

Other than this problem, the V-Can is fine, and I would NOT disregard their higher end units because of this problem. I am using slightly atypical headphones, with slightly atypical content, and it's not quite managing it. (all IMHO of course)

Greg.

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #52 of 65
Sorry bout that I must has missed it when skimming through the pages.

I have a K601 as well and I have yet to hear distortion, but I am using a X-CanV8P. It could be synergy issues as with my amp the sound is full and smooth.

What stuff does it clip on? Know any songs this happens on? I tried some piano oriented stuff by Rick Wakeman and haven't heard any distortion either.

PS: On a side note, if you ever want to sell your V-Can I'd gladly take it off your hands.

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #53 of 65
I am hearing the clipping when I play a digital piano. I.e I am actually playing the song myself, on a digital piano. (sound is generated on the PC - soundcard is a professional grade one)

I haven't heard any clipping when listening to pre-recorded music. As I said, playing the piano oneself is different, I think, to listening to music.

I've contacted the store to see if they'll let me trade up to a better amp. If not, yes, I'd definitely consider selling it to you, although note that I'm in Australia, so it might not be worth the hassle.

Greg.

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #54 of 65
Hm I have a midi piano in my attic. I'll try it in a bit.

Have you had the V-Can looked at let? I have a feeling it has something to do with a setting on your PC since the hp's don't clip when using normal music. Browse threw your sound settings and make sure there is no loudness or decibel boost on. Another possibility is that the pianos default volume is too high.

I know people have probably told this to you before but please double check.

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #55 of 65
No, I have not had the V-Can looked at yet, and I'm not going to bother.

My soundcard does have a variable line level output, but it is set correctly. Moreover, if the signal going into the V-Can was too hot, I would still hear the clipping after turning down the V-Can's own volume control, but I do not - the clipping goes away when I do that.

Btw, I am using the same setup to listen to pre-recorded music.

Greg.

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #56 of 65
Also, I'll be EXTREMELY surprised if you hear clipping through your XCan, being a higher quality amp. I would definitely consider upgrading my V-Can to an Xcan - I do not feel that my problem warrants deserting the company altogether at all.

Greg.

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #57 of 65
Hm.. sorry to hear that. I'll see if I can figure it out for you.

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #58 of 65
The store has turned me down, so it's going on Ebay. (Zombie - PM me if you are interested, though)

I reckon I should save my pennies and just use the NAD, and not bother buying a dedicated amp.

Greg.

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #59 of 65
I see this is a somewhat old thread, but no doubt this issue is recurring for some people.

I have been searching for a pretty long time on google about an issue with a crackling, almost static type sound coming from only the right ear side of my HD600 (which, I give thanks to these forums as I lurked and read plenty of reviews on them, as I wondered which set to purchase).

I am in no way an expert, so I can't tell you if we have the same problem, but this, and a few other threads that I finally found seem to be the closest explanations. It occurs with somewhat louder bass, in just the right side, no matter how the HD600s are driven. My setup consists of an optical cable coming from a USB port, into my Zero DAC/AMP, with that outputting into an APHEX 204 (since I wanted to, at first, EQ audio externally from my computer, and after researching, found that this, in a roundabout way, was more in line with what I had in mind), and, finally, to my HD600s.

With all of that intro out of the way, the main reason I am posting, is that the sound did seem quite like something in the right side was 'loose' causing this rattling static sound only present with bass. I tested some audio files that swept from 0-100 hz at all different volume levels, finding that the noise was not present with the volume below 40% or so on my DAC/AMP used in the preamp mode, yet it was present with preamp off, or at any higher volume. This had been occurring until just a few minutes ago. I found someone saying that perhaps a hair was somewhere inside the headphone, and although it seemed like a hair couldn't possibly result in that much interference, I opened the headphones and saw what did look like a hair against the "plastic bubble" which oscillates at the frequency of whatever is coming through the headphones. To be more certain, I played the bass sweep noise, and watched as the little white root of the hair banged on this diaphragm like a bass drum mallet as its oscillations sped up. I very carefully, with a tweezer, pulled on the hair, and it turned out to be a lot longer than it at first appeared, seeming to have been wrapped under the plastic. After plugging it back in after a thorough cleaning of the pads and gently blowing away any other hair/lint I could find, both sides sound perfect once again with no crackle/distortion/rattle with bass at any volume.

So.... maybe I am lucky and was able to see the hair before it fully retreated under the diaphragm, or maybe it is an entirely different cause. I know that with a set of David Clark Aviation headphones that I once foolishly used with a Fender guitar amp, that turning the volume up much at all results in a painfully loud crackling static, so I know that there can be more than one cause for this. However, since I learned this, I figured I'd share it with anyone else who has this issue, and let you know that maybe there is actually something in the headphone that is out of sight, to which I can only say, good luck in finding a way to get it out without further damage to the fragile components within it.

My apologies for the length here, just would hate to leave something out that could be useful without knowing, seeing as how I am not as knowledgeable as most of you here.

Thanks everyone.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #60 of 65
Sorry skip129 didn't see your post about buying it. I bought one for $70 so I think I'm good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back