Bass clipping (I think) on HD 595 -- looking for advice
Jul 5, 2007 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

Ryan Williams

New Head-Fier
I got some new HD 595s yesterday and I've noticed that when deep, loud bass comes up it sometimes seems to clip, and makes the characteristic popping sound. It's not a constant clipping, but it'll do it a few times during an explosion in a game like Battlefield 2142 for example (I haven't heard it during any music yet, but I've only had time to try one of my metal CDs).

It's being driven first through my computer's X-Fi soundcard (not the Audigy-based one) and then through an AIWA hifi/amp (can get model/specs later if need be). 'Enhancements' such as the Crystalizer and CMSS3D/etc are disabled, and I've ran it in bit-matched mode to no avail.

The volume isn't massively loud, and it does only seem to be the bass. Is there any known issue with the X-Fi that might cause this? Or do the headphones need 'breaking in'? It's worth noting that I didn't hear this with my old HD 212pro, but then the clarity was a lot more muddy then anyway.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.
redface.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 65
I would say these three are most likely...

1. Something like hair is in the driver.
2. Playing music too loudly.
3. Headphones are defective.

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #3 of 65
Check your sound settings and see if you have a bass boost setting on. If not, turn down the volume and see what happens. If poping presists, pull of the earpads, and the nylon covers and try to clean of your drivers.

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #4 of 65
Maybe the game won't work properly on audio-creation mode. Try game mode and see what happens.

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 65
I did try it with the three available modes and it didn't make a difference unfortunately. I also watched the Metal Gear Solid 4 TGS trailer and when some of the loud booms happened it did the same thing.

It's something to do with very deep bass with any significant volume, as everything else was fine and not even that loud in all honesty -- nothing else was clipping.

I'll have a closer look at my AIWA amp (inherited, needs replacing eventually) when I get back from work later to make sure none of the bass enhancement/etc is turned on.

I'll also check for hairs. That did cause me a problem with my 212pros at one point, although with these being new I didn't even consider it.

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Williams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did try it with the three available modes and it didn't make a difference unfortunately. I also watched the Metal Gear Solid 4 TGS trailer and when some of the loud booms happened it did the same thing.

It's something to do with very deep bass with any significant volume, as everything else was fine and not even that loud in all honesty -- nothing else was clipping.

I'll have a closer look at my AIWA amp (inherited, needs replacing eventually) when I get back from work later to make sure none of the bass enhancement/etc is turned on.

I'll also check for hairs. That did cause me a problem with my 212pros at one point, although with these being new I didn't even consider it.

It is quite hard for hairs to get into the driver housing, that nylon keeps alot out, but you never know.

Aug 4, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 65
sometimes you can hear brand new drivers flex, imagine taking a long saw and flopping it around. kinda the same thing.

Aug 4, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 65
Also, i remember the older Battlefield games sounded distorted with explosions. Try some other headphones if you have them to see if they make the same sound.

Aug 4, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 65
The only time hd595 clipped with bass for me was when using EQ to boost the bass - as opposed to lowering all the other frequencies. Software issue...BF might have that same problem.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #12 of 65
I've just bought a pair of HD595's, and they're clipping too easily IMHO.

Setup:
Professional grade soundcard (M-Audio Delta 66) through a NAD 320BEE.
Also tried a professional digital stage piano (Kawai MP9000), plugged directly into it's headphone output.

Now, interestingly, I didn't really hear any harsh clipping when I took them back to the store, but it was only a very quick test. I think I heard a bit of gentle distortion, but not the really harsh clipping I'm getting at home.

I am listening loud, but not VERY loud. When I reduce the volume slightly, yes, the clipping disappears. However, I think there is a problem *somewhere*.

Greg.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #13 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by skip129 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just bought a pair of HD595's, and they're clipping too easily IMHO.

Setup:
Professional grade soundcard (M-Audio Delta 66) through a NAD 320BEE.
Also tried a professional digital stage piano (Kawai MP9000), plugged directly into it's headphone output.

Now, interestingly, I didn't really hear any harsh clipping when I took them back to the store, but it was only a very quick test. I think I heard a bit of gentle distortion, but not the really harsh clipping I'm getting at home.

I am listening loud, but not VERY loud. When I reduce the volume slightly, yes, the clipping disappears. However, I think there is a problem *somewhere*.

Greg.

Holy bovine, what a thread bump!

But I can think of three things:

1.) It's not getting enough power
2.) You're using an EQ
3.) The song was poorly recorded to begin with

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #14 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy bovine, what a thread bump!

But I can think of three things:

1.) It's not getting enough power
2.) You're using an EQ
3.) The song was poorly recorded to begin with

Yes, it is a bit if a bump
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think 2 and 3 apply, because I took a song that was clipping at home into the store. (and I am definitely not using EQ at home) 1) is possible, because at the store, I listened through a headphone amplifier.

The salesman said I was simply listening at too loud a level, but I don't accept that. Not yet, anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif
In any case, even at that loud level at the store, I didn't hear the harsh clipping. At the store, I was tending to think that it would be my amp, but then when I heard the clipping from my digital piano, I wasn't so sure. Additionally, the general consensus at headphonereviews.org seems to be that these headphones have "high amplification", meaning that they don't need a dedicated headphone amp to get good results. (folks report that they can connect them up to iPod's with good results, for example) Some folks do say that they notice a big improvement with a headphone amp, though, although I don't think they gave specifics.

I've flicked off an email to a professional keyboard place, to see what they say. I might need to get some kind of professional musician's headphones.

I think I should also try to get hold of a headphone amp. If that solves the problem, then I'll keep the 595's.

Thanks,
Greg.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #15 of 65
I had the same clipping/distortion on bass with the HD-595 if I listened at a relatively high volume from a Pioneer non dedicated amplifier.

I bought the Graham Slee Solo SRG headphone amp, and now I can turn the volume up so much that my ears are begging for mercy before any clipping starts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back