Banjos and Bluegrass recommendations
Mar 9, 2008 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
I rather like Banjo and Bluegrass-style country music. Can anyone recommend any good CDs or collections?

Thanks,
Brad

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 33
I still play Steve Earle & The Del McCoury Band's The Mountain monthly after owning for years. There's a lot of modern/contemporary Bluegrass I like (mostly under then less used lately alt.country banner), though the majority of it is quite awful. As you move back in time the classics seem more apparent, but I can't recommend The Mountain enough. Greatest thing The Del McCoury Band has put out and one of Earles best. In fact the tour of the album caused them to stop speaking. Call it roughed-up/loose Bluegrass. Not the sterile, pristine stuff of many country outlets.

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 33
I have one track from that off of some collection that I borrowed from my supervisor - but I'll go and look for it.

I love the sound of the banjo.

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #4 of 33
Alison Krauss & Union Station, especially if you like silky female vocals to go with the bluegrass.
wink.gif
I recommend all discs by AKUS and Alison Krauss independently, with probably the exception of AK's Forget About It, which gravitates more towards alternative than bluegrass. Also scratch AK's Raising Sand, it is not bluegrass.

Mar 9, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 33
Four Men and a Dog

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 33
bascom-and-mule.jpg

Bascom Lamar Lunsford, the quintessential Southern Highlands songcatcher. I don't feel like writing any more, he's all over the internet. Listen for a lesson in American culture history. This record is like a time machine; the distinct musical geography + Lunsford's endearing baritone make it a classic.

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #9 of 33
If you have Netflix, check out the DVDs of a TV series from 1962 called Pete Seeger's Rainbow Quest. It has amazing guests, like Roscoe Holcombe, The Stanley Bros and Johnny Cash.

See ya
Steve

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 33
Be aware that bluegrass has changed a lot over the years. Personally I don't care much for most of what's come out of Nashville since the 80's... but then again, some people don't like anything else. For great banjo picking I think that an old Stanley Brothers album would be a great place to start. The Vern Williams Band's Bluegrass From the Gold Country is also excellent in this respect (and in many others as well).

The old-timey (as opposed to bluegrass) picking on Riley Baugus' Long Steel Rail might appeal to you, also. It's a high quality modern recording.

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 33
Thanks for all the replies so far - I'm going to have to make a list of these and take them with me the next time I go out music shopping. I just hope that HMV or Chapters has them.

Keep'm coming, if you've got'm

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #13 of 33
I highly recommend anything by Del McCoury. I saw him play the Opry last year and he's just amazing. Roscoe Holcombe and The Stanley Bros., are awfully good, too.

If you don't mind a plug, check out the feed from KCSN here:

Listen to KCSN Online

Saturday mornings from 10AM-2PM (PST) is Cowboy Nick's show, Twang. Cowboy Nick is a friend and his show has bluegrass, classic country and some alt.country thrown in. No commercials, just good music. Check it out.

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #14 of 33
I'd look into Sufjan Stevens, "Come on Feel the Illinoise!" is a great CD, one of my favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back