Banjos and Bluegrass recommendations
Mar 10, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #18 of 33
I been hooked on Old Crow Medicine Show lately. Levon Helm's Dirt Farmer is also very good, but I'm not sure if it is bluegrass per se.

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm a bit confused by that too. Isn't Sufjan Stevens Rock?

Well, he does play banjo a lot, so maybe that's why he rec'd it. Not much of a bluegrass sound. In that indie rock vein, and with much more of a nod to bluegrass, is the great debut by the Old Canes from a few years ago, Early Morning Hymns. We've talked about it some around here before.

If you like the Alison Krauss rec, give a listen to the latest from the Dappled Grays. Pretty nice vocals and playing, with a lot of respect for tradition.

CD Baby: THE DAPPLED GRAYS: Doin My Job

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #20 of 33
Hey Davey, thanks for the excellent recommendation. Have you bought anything from CD Baby? I would be happy to buy this CD, but I wonder if I buy the CD will I also get the MP3 download too? THis music is fantastic!

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Davey, thanks for the excellent recommendation. Have you bought anything from CD Baby? I would be happy to buy this CD, but I wonder if I buy the CD will I also get the MP3 download too? THis music is fantastic!

Yea, I've bought from them before. Great site. But if you buy the CD, can't you rip it to whatever mp3 rate you like? Why would you want a low bitrate download? Just curious. Many of the new vinyl releases are including mp3 downloads, but don't know about CDs. Ask them.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #24 of 33
anything from New Grass Revival....on banjo, that's right Bela Fleck.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #25 of 33
Check out "Punch" by the Punch Brothers

j70587fjw2d.jpg

NPR Music: Bluegrass Suite Packs a Progressive 'Punch'

Edit: Forgot to suggest The Carolina Chocolate Drops
61uFWgw2DUL._AA240_.jpg

Video here:
YouTube - Carolina Chocolate Drops

Mar 11, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #26 of 33
Sry, I read Banjos and got excited, ill throw my support behind Old Crow Medicine Show (but see them live, its a completely different experience)

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, I've bought from them before. Great site. But if you buy the CD, can't you rip it to whatever mp3 rate you like? Why would you want a low bitrate download? Just curious. Many of the new vinyl releases are including mp3 downloads, but don't know about CDs. Ask them.

First let me tell you that my wallet hates you. I left it alone with the computer and it was in the process of trying to write you hate-mail, but I found it and kicked it's ass. Seriously - I have $200 of stuff on their website so far... And I spent all day on that website instead of working.

Yes I can, but then I have to wait for the delivery. Since I'm in Canuckia, and they're in the US it'll take 7-10 days - and I don't want to wait that long. Since I've already paid for the CD, I should have the rights to the music - why not let me download it too? That's what Nine INch Nails did and I think it's a great business model. Hell, if I could buy all my music online by getting downloads AND the CD I would, and I would buy a lot more music (instant gratification + bit perfect - what more can you ask for?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out "Punch" by the Punch Brothers

j70587fjw2d.jpg

NPR Music: Bluegrass Suite Packs a Progressive 'Punch'

Edit: Forgot to suggest The Carolina Chocolate Drops
61uFWgw2DUL._AA240_.jpg

Video here:
YouTube - Carolina Chocolate Drops

Thanks, I'll definitely give that a try too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This live album will send you straight to banjo heaven; Earl Scrugg's banjo picking is seething hot:

Also I've been enjoying Sam Bush's album Laps in Seven, a very solid album of traditional bluegrass with rock influences. An excellent banjo player, Scott Vestal, plays on each track.

I'm excited to hear some Earl Scrugg's too!
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for all the suggestions fellas!

Mar 11, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by brown274 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New Grass Revival
This is a must have for any bluegrass fan.

2325780341_3f4c236d24_o.jpg

Someday I'd like to open up a Newgrass hair salon. "Give me the Jerry Douglass today, Donna..."

I admit, I'm a little sad that everyone's all about the jammy/poppy/hybrid styles today, and no one likes the traditional stuff.

I think I've posted this before, but go nab this free lossless concert of classic Del McCoury: Shady Gap Bluegrass Festival, 1969.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back