Bang & Olufsen
Jan 6, 2008 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

vkvedam

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I have been reading about this Danish company a lot.
The prices are almost out of reach. Are they really worth it?
Has anyone tried their earphones & headphones (form2)?
Would anyone be able to share?
Or is it kind of a status symbol..........

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 46
yeah my dad had an old pair from the late 80s.

cons:
not too durable
lots of static (im almost positive this is the old, stiff cable on it in addition to the seemingly crappy line in jack.
overpriced

pros:
look good
decent soundstage
impressive bass for a sura-aural.

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 46
I got a pair of A8's a while ago and I think they are decent, but not for the money...

When you learn that the way they tell you to wear them is not the way to get he best sound, it makes them quite a bit better (they become a bit more bassy). But, overall, they are pretty much a balanced pair of earbuds...

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 46
50% appearance, 30% marketing, 20% competence. Ridiculus company with wealthy and dovelike middle class customers. Not as bad as Bose, though. Bose has 80% marketing.

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 46
I had a pair of A8s. The sound was way better than iBuds but not as good as many other & cheaper IEMs out there. Build quality was a little suspect. Mine broke after 6-7 weeks of use. I went to bed one night and woke up the next day and they did not work. I left them on the kitchen counter and treated them like precious jewels and have no clue why they just stopped working.

They were my first foray into IEMs and I was pleased, until they broke. There's better out there for the money.

Just my opinion.

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 46
There's only one thing B&O does right IMHO and that's the ICEpower digital amps which they sort of "bought" from a Ph.D researcher at a Danish university and hired him to further develop the technology. Before they acquired this technology they had absolutely nothing I would be interested in. Thankfully ICEpower technology is licensed out to other manufacturers who sell products based on it at reasonable prices.

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoNB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a pair of A8s. The sound was way better than iBuds but not as good as many other & cheaper IEMs out there. Build quality was a little suspect. Mine broke after 6-7 weeks of use. I went to bed one night and woke up the next day and they did not work. I left them on the kitchen counter and treated them like precious jewels and have no clue why they just stopped working.

They were my first foray into IEMs and I was pleased, until they broke. There's better out there for the money.

Just my opinion.

I also had A8s (sadly lost them). Build quality was perfect. Esp the sliding adjustment. Were your maybe fakes?

Aside from the BabyStax, best sounding portable audio I've tried.

Jan 6, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also had A8s (sadly lost them). Build quality was perfect. Esp the sliding adjustment. Were your maybe fakes?

Yeah, mine also were top drawer, quality-wise. Maybe you have a less-than-careful room-mate.

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 46
You'd have to be really clumsy to break your A8 clips, because I am pretty rough myself, and I only broke off the plastic cap that holds the rubber and metal rings together.

Besides, people don't buy B&O for the sound. I use a BeoCom 2 bought for decoration purposes
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
50% appearance, 30% marketing, 20% competence. Ridiculus company with wealthy and dovelike middle class customers. Not as bad as Bose, though. Bose has 80% marketing.

That was perfect.
I was afraid to say it.

Jan 7, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Besides, people don't buy B&O for the sound. I use a BeoCom 2 bought for decoration purposes
biggrin.gif

Very funny!
Social status!
cool.gif

Jan 7, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #13 of 46
Totally right. B&O is all about design, not sound quality.

Jan 7, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very funny!
Social status!
cool.gif

Extra money for the multifunction
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 46
You pay for for the nicest design available in the audioindustry IMO and you get good sound quality, but of course if you don't care for looks you can get better pure SQ for the price. For someone interested in interior design B&O is often a natural choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back