Bang & Olufsen U70: K100 killer!
Dec 1, 2007 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, they could be
wink.gif

Anyone heard of them/used them?

bo_u70_perso_1.JPG

They were originally made between 1978 - 1984 and they ALMOST look like some of those Stax headphones.

3752_3.JPG

Some info here: U70 Headphones

K1000 killers? They seem to pop up on ebay alot, and there is currently a set on Trademe for $40...

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 21
try the orthodynamic thread, post 20 and a few later ones. These are MB orthodynamics, designed when MB was still owned by Peerless and not yet Quart. It's the smaller MB driver and probably the worst of all implementations of a Jecklin float frame. Though they are certainly not K1000 killers, they may live up to your thread-name typo by being K100 killers.

cheers, FV

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try the orthodynamic thread, post 20 and a few later ones. These are MB orthodynamics, designed when MB was still owned by Peerless and not yet Quart. It's the smaller MB driver and probably the worst of all implementations of a Jecklin float frame. Though they are certainly not K1000 killers, they may live up to your thread-name typo by being K100 killers.

cheers, FV

Aah ok. I searched but I couldn't find anything... So are they worth $40?

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

B&O have some excellent products, but the rest of them are more like Bose... more marketing than quality, in comparison to other high-ends.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That pair is in pretty solid condition, so maybe up to around $40 for historical curiosity. For great sq, you'd be better off with a cheapo Yamaha, AT, or Realistic orthodynamic.

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though they are certainly not K1000 killers, they may live up to your thread-name typo by being K100 killers.

I think the ibuds could be a contender for the mantle of K100 killer, so that isn't saying much.

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 21
The U70 pads should be black, not white, but the stuff flakes off very easily. They usually go on eBay for more than they are worth. I've seen more than £100 for one set.

$40 being £20 is a price I'd pay for a set though.

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 21
Duggeh makes a good point about typical prices. Just because these say B&O, they'll probably sell for more than they're worth. I doubt the $40 will do it.

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 21
Yeah, pretty much what you guys have said. They're interesting, they were made by MB Quart BITD, so just like the pads on my Goodmans, the pleather is flakey-dead, but the sound is disappointing, to say the least.

Not that they couldn't be ginned up somehow into some killer 'phones; mostly it's that it's not worth the trouble it would take. Besides, a good chunk of the value in the U70 is the très swifty industrial design job by Jacob Jensen.

To disassemble the U70 for mods, you have only to release the tabs that hold the aluminum-covered plastic body together. The real challenge will be to get it to have anything approaching bass. Note that it already has a nice dense damping pad and still doesn't sound all that great.

Dec 2, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy
So not worth $40? The bid seems to be staying on that ATM...

Depends. Think of it this way: For $40 you can own a work of art that happens to double as a working headphone. Which is another way of saying that it doesn't sound as good as it looks, but who cares? It's art, and many people want it and can enjoy it for that and that only. But know that the demimonde of orthodynamica holds many far more exotic delights. It's just that they're for the ear rather than the eye.

Is $40 a pittance to you? Grab it. Is $40 your entire headphone budget for the coming summer months? Look for a better deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back