Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 (Wireless Noise Cancelling On-Ear Headphones)
Oct 16, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #331 of 374
I recently updated to the latest H8 firmware (via Mac application) and the bluetooth performance is now on par with my Noble BTS.  The test was done using my Samsung TV (which seems to have the bluetooth behind the screen so the signal isn't the strongest) at a distance of around 10ft.  Before the update, the H8 was completely unusable, stuttering and tearing and making digital fart noises.   After the update, as with the Noble BTS, it is more or less stable but will cut out if I turn the right earpiece away from the TV or if I walk into the kitchen.  The Noble BTS doesn't fare any better, I have to leave it on my lap and not really move it around.   

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #334 of 374
I will do my best to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. Despite what I wrote above, I ended up buying the H8s after finding them for 320euros and I couldn't resist the temptation.

Colours - Can't say much about argilia. I have the brown and really enjoy it.

Bluetooth - I haven't had one single issue during these 2 weeks that I used it. I had it in my pocket while walking, biking walked around my flat etc. Used with both iPhone and Mac computer. It works like a charm at all times for me. 

Sound - I have tried the H7 quickly in a store once, and only judging by that experience I prefer the H8 sound. It has a more lively, engaging sound. The bass is def. louder than other headphones but I find the bass to be fun and tight independent of genre. I don't find them overly bassy.

Over vs on-ear - The design of these - On ear with great looks is the main reason I wanted to buy them. The earcups with real leather and memory foam are really comfy so you never really think about the fact that it's an on ear headphone. Moreover they isolate passively better than my over ear headphones do. The almost isolate a bit too good at times, which I'm not that used to with on ear headphones.

The only downsides for me are the things like no siri activation - why are you able to double tap to call the last person in your call list. Who would ever need that instead of Siri activation?
As people mentioned the sound is different with ANC on. I prefer the sound with ANC off. However these headphoens sound even better in wired mode without being turned on. The momentums are also good wired passively, but I prefer both sound profile and stage on the H8s over the momentum both in wired and wireless mode. 

You also probably know that the bag is crap - and not very protective. I use a different fabric soft bag for it whenever I'm packing it, but since it's so comfortable to hang around the neck it often sits there when not in use on the go. 

I'll be happy to answer any other questions! 

This or QC35..:cold_sweat:

Dec 1, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #335 of 374
It is on the Beoplay support site IIRC. I am curious to hear the H9 when it comes out in December ...

It seems that the new H9 has already/now been launched.
I've received an info mail from B&O today, introducing the new H9. 
Checking their website the H9 is already "online" and can already be ordered.

As I've just ordered a H7 during amazon's cyber week, I think I'll skip the H9 (for now). 

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #336 of 374

It seems that the new H9 has already/now been launched.
I've received an info mail from B&O today, introducing the new H9. 
Checking their website the H9 is already "online" and can already be ordered.

As I've just ordered a H7 during amazon's cyber week, I think I'll skip the H9 (for now). 

If you preorder at a B&O store, you also get a free Form 2i.

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #337 of 374
I just bought the H9 from the B&O store (Canary Wharf in London). They weren't aware of the free Form 2i deal mentioned above. Boo. They had three in stock when I called this morning (two black and one tan), but they only had one black one left when I got there at lunch time. They're selling quickly!

For those that are interested, here's a quick review based on a very quick listen. Please bear in mind that I will be making a comparison to the H8 which I was listening to on the way to the shop. 

H9 vs H8 lightning review:
The H9 is over the ear (compared to the H8's on the ear) which makes the sound much more expansive and immersive. As you'd expect I suppose. It also has better passive noise isolation in addition to the ANC (which also seems to be more powerful) which makes it much more adept at cutting out the noise on the tube (i.e. train). Another benefit is that it keeps your ears warm when out and about in the freezing cold! From a visual perspective, the tan version is slightly darker than the H7 (tan is darker, and it's a mid grey compared to a light silver). They didn't have a tan H8 in the shop to compare against. I couldn't tell any difference in colour between the black H7, H8 and H9. There isn't a brown H9 (I have a brown H8 and was hoping for a brown H9). Size-wise, it's obviously bigger than the H8 so when you rest them around your neck, it will feel bigger. I was wearing a scarf, jacket and coat, so the H9s ended up resting a little over my cheeks. Didn't really mind it, but something you may want to consider. 

Out of the box, it was boomy as anything but seemed to have much more clarity than the H8s in that you could pick out certain details better (e.g. tambourines, which could get lost in the mix came out pretty clearly). To be honest, the sound was a little bit all over the place, which I will attribute to the fact that it hasn't been burnt in yet. So let's see how it will sound after I set it to play music non-stop over night. Otherwise, sonically, I've been told by the shop assistant that the H9s are meant to sound very similar to the H7. I did find that the H9 was a little harder to drive (just using my iPhone 6) than the H8, so occasionally found myself with the volume at max. I do have a Questyle QP1R which has a built in amp (and will drive most anything) but I've yet to connect the H9 to it via an audio cable. I also have a Fiio X7 so maybe I'll post my findings about how that sounds through bluetooth.

So that's it. Pretty quick first impressions.

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #338 of 374
  I just bought the H9 from the B&O store (Canary Wharf in London). They weren't aware of the free Form 2i deal mentioned above. Boo. They had three in stock when I called this morning (two black and one tan), but they only had one black one left when I got there at lunch time. They're selling quickly!

For those that are interested, here's a quick review based on a very quick listen. Please bear in mind that I will be making a comparison to the H8 which I was listening to on the way to the shop. 

H9 vs H8 lightning review:
The H9 is over the ear (compared to the H8's on the ear) which makes the sound much more expansive and immersive. As you'd expect I suppose. It also has better passive noise isolation in addition to the ANC (which also seems to be more powerful) which makes it much more adept at cutting out the noise on the tube (i.e. train). Another benefit is that it keeps your ears warm when out and about in the freezing cold! From a visual perspective, the tan version is slightly darker than the H7 (tan is darker, and it's a mid grey compared to a light silver). They didn't have a tan H8 in the shop to compare against. I couldn't tell any difference in colour between the black H7, H8 and H9. There isn't a brown H9 (I have a brown H8 and was hoping for a brown H9). Size-wise, it's obviously bigger than the H8 so when you rest them around your neck, it will feel bigger. I was wearing a scarf, jacket and coat, so the H9s ended up resting a little over my cheeks. Didn't really mind it, but something you may want to consider. 

Out of the box, it was boomy as anything but seemed to have much more clarity than the H8s in that you could pick out certain details better (e.g. tambourines, which could get lost in the mix came out pretty clearly). To be honest, the sound was a little bit all over the place, which I will attribute to the fact that it hasn't been burnt in yet. So let's see how it will sound after I set it to play music non-stop over night. Otherwise, sonically, I've been told by the shop assistant that the H9s are meant to sound very similar to the H7. I did find that the H9 was a little harder to drive (just using my iPhone 6) than the H8, so occasionally found myself with the volume at max. I do have a Questyle QP1R which has a built in amp (and will drive most anything) but I've yet to connect the H9 to it via an audio cable. I also have a Fiio X7 so maybe I'll post my findings about how that sounds through bluetooth.

So that's it. Pretty quick first impressions.

Maybe the Form 2i is just a preorder thing in the US since it's not quite here yet. Even though I just got the Porsche Design/KEF Space One, it was hard to pass up since I also had a $75 off coupon (so I got both with tax for $450 US which is not bad). I had the H6 v1 (actually still have, need to sell) which I didn't love, but am hoping the H9 is an improvement since the H6 v2 and H7 are supposed to be better. I'm also going to be getting the WM1A at some point, so even if hard to drive, that can do it.

Like you I was hoping for a dark brown or some other color H9 other than the tan and black, but I preordered the black. I'm glad they have supposedly decent passive isolation as the Space One is OK there, not great. I'm curious to compare the ANC since I'm very familiar with the H8 at this point and have settled in on the Space One.

I was hoping I could get them before my long haul flight this upcoming Tuesday but the first batch (of which I have one reserved) should be in around the 10th I was told. I leave before and come back right after.

Dec 2, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #339 of 374

Maybe the Form 2i is just a preorder thing in the US since it's not quite here yet. Even though I just got the Porsche Design/KEF Space One, it was hard to pass up since I also had a $75 off coupon (so I got both with tax for $450 US which is not bad). I had the H6 v1 (actually still have, need to sell) which I didn't love, but am hoping the H9 is an improvement since the H6 v2 and H7 are supposed to be better. I'm also going to be getting the WM1A at some point, so even if hard to drive, that can do it.

Like you I was hoping for a dark brown or some other color H9 other than the tan and black, but I preordered the black. I'm glad they have supposedly decent passive isolation as the Space One is OK there, not great. I'm curious to compare the ANC since I'm very familiar with the H8 at this point and have settled in on the Space One.

I was hoping I could get them before my long haul flight this upcoming Tuesday but the first batch (of which I have one reserved) should be in around the 10th I was told. I leave before and come back right after.

Well, one thing I've always noticed was that there is a difference in sound with the ANC on and with it off for the H8 (it loses some fidelity and sounds compressed with the ANC on). There appears to be very little difference in sound with the ANC on and with it off for the H9, so kudos to B&O.

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #342 of 374
Oh boy, I'm excited about the H9... but I have a bad feeling...
I love my H6 Gen2 but I miss the excitement of the H8 a little bit... I really didn't like the H7, felt like such a step back from the H8 especially because it is unable to take those 3 Button cables with Mic... I need that functionality for calls, gaming etc.
I hope the H9 will be able to use those cables and I hope they will be somewhat a mixture of H8 and H6, that would awesome... one can dream.

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #344 of 374
Someone needs to start a thread about the new BeoPlay H9!

I'm excited, as I want something that offers active noise cancellation. I do love my H7, and I find them way better than H8 when it comes to fidelity and comfort (not on-ear) but these new ones seems perfect in my eyes. They add everything the H7 lacks.

But from their website, they don't mention anything about AAC? Both the H7 and H8 supports APTX + AAC, so they are perfect for both Android and iPhone. With the removal of the headphone jack on the new iPhone I can't for the life of me understand why B&O would drop AAC support on these new ones? I also noticed that both the H7 and the H8 seems to be in a new revision going forward? They are now listed as bluetooth 4.2 with APTX Low Latency + AAC, up from bluetooth 4.0 with APTX + AAC they had before?

No mentioning of "multi-point" like Bose QC35.

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #345 of 374
From Amazon's listing of the H9

"Beoplay H9 headphones utilize the latest Bluetooth 4.2 technology, supporting aptX and AAC codecs to ensure CD-like sound quality on wireless playback."

Strangely B&O's website is a bit lacking on technical details.

I just came into the market for wireless cans and settled on the B&W P7 wireless which I purchased last week (after demoing the QC35's and Sony 1000X). That said I preordered the H9's from Amazon and am looking forward to comparing the two. I will keep the best one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back