Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 (Wireless Noise Cancelling On-Ear Headphones)
Mar 11, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #301 of 374
I got Beats Wireless again, and now I can compare H8 to Beats. The mids and highs are much crispier than H8, and bass has more depth when scaled. It is easier to use with iMac Iphone Ipad etc. Did I mention you can get them for 290USD. 

H8s are going back. Nice design but not worth the money.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #302 of 374
Got my H8 a couple of months ago and I really like them. BUT I'm having some really weird problems with the NC.
Twice they got stuck in a high pitched squeaky sound loop in the subway. Both times when a train arrived to the station making it windy, and I moved the right piece off my ear to hear what another person was saying. The high pitched squeak volume just grew and grew and it got really uncomfortable, almost hurting. First time I turned them off and on again and the sound came back immediately. Had to turn them off for 5-10 seconds to get rid of it. 
They also seem to squeak as soon as i touch them to correct the fit or manage the volume. Also pushing them ever so slightly gives away a high short uncomfortable squeak.
And when walking the NC actually increases the normal low thump from the footstep with a "flopp" or "plopp" sound.
Noticed that cold weather, close or below freezing, makes them more "on the edge" for giving out the strange high pitched sounds.
And if listening to higher frequency music/electric guitar /bad quality radio interview, the NC goes a bit crazy and adds a lot of metallic distortion on top of everything, almost like they're close to go overboard to the high pitched squeak...

Anyone else that had these problems with the NC?

Sending them back to B&O in Denmark to have them checked out. Hope they either find a fix or get me a new pair that works as one would expect for that kind of price. A bit nervous since I got them as a present, although they were brand new thru eBay...
Guessing I'll have to tangle with the cord on my B&W P5 for a while now...

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #303 of 374
Are there still issues with BT connection or have they been addressed with firmware upgrades?

I am still considering of getting the H8 or Momentum Wireless or the Denon AH-GC20

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #304 of 374
So i took the plunge and bought the H8 in black.

No problems so far with bluetooth with my iPhone 6s Plus, no skips, no drops on these two days i have had the earphones.

Fit is also very good although I can see that i haven't used ANC headphones before, gets little time to get used to the "pressure" feeling.

But one thing I have a problem with is with my work pc/laptop. I just can't get the H8s to pair successfully to my Windows 7 laptop. The headphones pairs fine to my laptop but after the pairing is done they just show as light gray in the control panels device manager. Also the headphones don't show up on my audio devices so I can't listen to music or anything. They pair and work fine with my MAcbook Pro at home.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

EDIT: for some reason it seems Windows can't find drivers for the bluetooth devices. Are these downloadable from somewhere?

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #305 of 374
I love the concept and the design, but the audio quality still has lots of room for improvement.
Having experience only with the in-ear monitors, I am not familiar at all with the price tiers of the headphones at all, but I'd assume at this price range you'd expect a decent level of sound quality. I compared my friends H8 with my Shure SE535, and it was quite clear that if in terms of sound quality, the SE535 was better than the H8 with the only exception of sound stage, in which the headphones are naturally expected to be much superior than in ear monitors.
I guess it is okay quality for casual listeners, but certainly not for Hi-Fi.

May 1, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #307 of 374

Hey guys, any news on whether the bluetooth issues have been resolved (either by patch or by hardware revision)?  There was a post on the B&O forums claiming that serial #'s after a certain point have revised hardware.  I e-mailed B&O but haven't heard back yet.  Obviously, if anyone has first hand experience (even better with Apple products) that things are working as they should, that would be much appreciated.  Also wondering if the voice call mic performance has been improved at all.

General question, I'm mostly an IEM guy when traveling but wanted to look into ANC for flights.  Can anyone compare ANC vs. Comply as far as comfort in flight?  I am hoping for an improvement but Comply's are pretty much like ear plugs.  I can live with a bit of a hit to audio quality if that means I don't get tangled in a mess of wires when I need to go to the bathroom.  

May 9, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #308 of 374
Alright, thought I would post a quick update having since bought the H8's.   I e-mailed B&O re. hardware revisions and got a non-answer.   Rumours on the B&O forums is that later serials had something done, but no concrete answers.  Bought with a return policy so took the risk.  Went with grey/hazel because they look awesome.

Overall, the BT has been pretty solid for me at the office and at home.  The office is an extremely noisy environment with about 23 wi-fi networks that my Macbook can see, several dozen laptops all running on said networks and various bluetooth devices.   The connection with my Macbook pro  (running APTX, not sure if I did something previously to enable this) and iPhone 6 is very solid although the range in this environment is closer to maybe 10-15ft before I get drops.  The AK100ii seems to have a weaker signal and is prone to drop-outs when starting streaming.   That being said, putting it face down to my right with screen off, about 2 ft away has a very functional connection with the occasional hiccup.  I think if I sacrifice a goat and pour it's blood over the desk surface, it would work even better.  I blame A&K for this more than the H8.   

As for the thumping when walking, yes, I can get it to do that, although it takes some effort on my part to heel strike the floor and I'm a really heavy guy.  I'm not speed walking with these on, so a non-issue for me. 

The touch controls took about 5 minutes to figure out but I can get it to work consistently.  You don't press down hard, and the swiping has to be at a certain speed, but once you have it down, it works very well.  Lets me keep the AK100ii face down undisturbed...because...well, don't touch it!

I've used the H8 for bluetooth conference calls for a few hours.  No complaints about voice quality.   When asked for specific feedback, people said I sounded "normal".  I would say this function is working fine but I have yet to test in a very noisy environment.  This is with the latest firmware.

As for the audio performance, I'm liking it quite a bit.  Definitely a bass heavier sound signature that is great for rock and movies.  Personally, I would consider this to be excellent sound for a $300 headphone (which it is not) cabled or bluetooth with ANC off.  Bottom line, half of the money is going into the build quality and design (stellar), and the BT and ANC.  If you are looking for just a great sounding headphone, I would stay away.  I think there is better value elsewhere (no **** right?  It's B&O).  On the other hand, if you want a great travel headphone with all the bells and whistles, the ability to turn on ANC on the plane or in a hotel lobby, take calls, all wirelessly without looking like a dork with giant cans on your head in public, these are great!   Honestly, while getting out of a tangle of wires to go to the washroom on a plane is definitely a first world problem (and getting the cable on my Angie's snagged), it's something I no longer have to deal with.  I didn't have a mic solution for the Angie's so there was a lot of switching about, especially when you factor in balanced connections.   The H8's is an all-in-one solution.  Headphones stay on and do whatever I need.  The only other option was the Momentum Wireless, but I read there was issues with BT there as well, they were harder to pack (I prefer flat than a compact ball) and I find the H8's just sexier.

Will be getting on a plane soon and stomping around the airport so will update on long-term ANC use and if walking on hard surfaces produces any excessive thumping.

May 14, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #309 of 374
I've had my H8 for months , great build quality , BT ....crap lol. I think many factors influence it, and if you used two models in the same place with the same device it will have issues. At times it seems the BT needs line of sight to work, putting my phone in my pocket can and at times does create loss of connection . Maybe there is a new improved version, but I suspect it's just a poor BT device .

May 20, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #310 of 374
kinda quiet around here lately....:) Had the h8 for almost a year now...got them just after they launched. Gotta say, i'm a fan...fantastic build quality compared to sony mdr-1bt or philips m2bt, which i also have...comfort for me is even better then the sony's(which are over year). Is overall a very relaxing listen, warm, clear, though just a little too bassy for me. 
Just in case you didn't get the news, B&O just launched a companion app for iOS and Android, which features a "Tone Touch" mode.
Installed last night, and to my surprise, a great pair of phones, became even better. You get to tweak your sound signature, maybe depending on the music you listen, or on your mood, or on your personal preference...i was able to find some very nice balance, to bring the mids a little more forward, less bassy, and more spacious sound. I'm really impressed of how the app works, and the presentation of this equaliser is really special. 
I'm sure Giogio will come and say he put it on extreme warm, with bass boost from the iphone eq, and it has some distortions with those youtube vids at max volume.......but it will be his opinion..:p .....no offence man....But for me is really a great pair of phones....
If you didn't get the app yet, i recommend you give it a try...

May 20, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #311 of 374
I was playing with it but it seemed to reset itself on start-up.  Not sure if anyone can confirm.   I was ideally hoping that the EQ settings would stay put vs. having to change it each and every time I turned it on.  I'm connecting to multiple devices, so not sure if that is the source of the issue.

Had a nice long plane ride with them.   Very comfy.  Mild pressure after 4hrs.   The NC, which I normally leave off due to the pressure sensation, was very good on the plane.  Unlike IEM's, I could still hear voices, which is a pro or a con depending on how noisy the cabin is, but the engine noises cut down drastically.  I like the sound signature much better than my wired Momentums.

May 23, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #312 of 374

So far, for me, it looks like the setting is remembered by the headphone. I've restarted the phone, turned off the headphone, even paired it with my ipad. it played with the eq setting without the app installed.after i installed the app on the ipad, it opened with the last setting i set up on the iphone...so far i'm impressed....listening some jazz halfway between exciting and bright, classical halfway between exciting and warm...Is so easy to add just a little personal flavour to the music you listen...

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #313 of 374
I recently bought black H8 also. So far I'm very happy with these. They replaced my 13 months old Beats Studio Wireless where the plastic hinge cracked and a repair would be CA$249 (80% of the purchase price). Jazz, Classical, Soul all sound much better than on the Studios Wireless. They are pretty bass heavy, but with the beoplay app installed on my iphone it is possible to tone the bass down a bit (tone touch) - after which even hip hop and rap music sounds pretty good. Interestingly enough this is my 2nd pair of H8 - the first one was faulty - right side playing louder than the left. Got them replaced right away for a flawless pair. Looking forward to trying the NC on the plane in 2 weeks.

Jun 19, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #314 of 374
  I recently bought black H8 also. So far I'm very happy with these. They replaced my 13 months old Beats Studio Wireless where the plastic hinge cracked and a repair would be CA$249 (80% of the purchase price). Jazz, Classical, Soul all sound much better than on the Studios Wireless. They are pretty bass heavy, but with the beoplay app installed on my iphone it is possible to tone the bass down a bit (tone touch) - after which even hip hop and rap music sounds pretty good. Interestingly enough this is my 2nd pair of H8 - the first one was faulty - right side playing louder than the left. Got them replaced right away for a flawless pair. Looking forward to trying the NC on the plane in 2 weeks.

How does the bass compare to the Beats? Also how does the ANC compare?

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #315 of 374
The bass goes deeper on the Beats, however the H8 has it tighter. On the Beats I hated that re-sample feel to the sound - as if it went through some heavy digital processing. On the H8 I don't hear anything like that. Didn't have a chance to compare the ANC yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back