Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Feb 7, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #2,582 of 2,875
I had: m2.0 over ear, pm3, p7 wired and wireless, dt770 pro, qc35, and h6 as well as m50x .... remember momentum 2.0 a mix of all these .... but right now I think m50x + fiio bta10 win by quality / price

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #2,583 of 2,875
I used to love the M50x, it was my first headphone and had it for a few years; but I decided to replace it because issues with comfort finally got to me. I replaced it with the DT 770 Pro which I tried to like but I couldn’t stand the treble.

After A LOT of research on here, Reddit and elsewhere, I landed on the H6 and after using it for close to a year now (wow I can’t believe it’s been that long) I can’t belive I ever liked the M50x. My biggest problem is with the treble, never realized how artificial and metallic it sounded until hearing the H6 and the HD6XX. Mids, yeah they’re my biggest issue with the H6 but they’re not bad. I don’t find them any better or worse than the M50x except that the M50x are more forward.

At the end of the day we all have what we like and don’t like. But they are pretty different. As someone said the H6 is innovensive for the most part and I like that light and airy sound, and it can still be authoritative depending on the recording and the inclusion of an additional source, same reason I like my HD6XX; easy listening without the elements being shoved in your face. The M50x to me has worse sound quality but I did enjoy my time with them because they ARE in fact engaging! The bass is pretty fun on them I will say. But after comparing the two I find the H6 more sophisticated and balanced overall.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #2,585 of 2,875
the articulation of the sound of m50x seems more cheap in comparison with h6, as well as the built. but the listening experience is more engaging. p7 was too heavy instead. pm3 too turned off. dt770pro too empty in the mids and uncomfortable to wear, artificial and expensive qc35, m2.0 treble and soundstage less convincing. h6 are delicious, relaxing, open .... but they are not adrenaline, they do not excite and some details are lost in the space of the scene. Imho. you're right: we all have what we want

Feb 7, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #2,588 of 2,875
I am currently convinced that for my use: iphone, ipad, mac, netflix, straming movies .... a non-portable headset, power hungry, and very expensive, is something I can sacrifice by virtue of an energetic and practical sound , in a portable and not too expensive form: m50x + fiio bta10 seem the solution

Feb 7, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #2,590 of 2,875
h6 is a very refined and relaxing set but in the movies there is no thickness to the voices, the music is a distant one by virtue of the air of the scene, and this virtue, becomes (for me) a defect
I’m with you, I do wish the H6 mids were better. But every headphone has a defect or two and I guess it’s more like finding the defects that bother you the least lol. Based on reading reviews on all these headphones the H6 seemed the least flawed to me. I’d rather have great bass and great treble with decent/good mids than good/great mids with bad bass and bad treble, or whatnot. Also it seems a lot of the headphones in this price range have different characters so it’s finding the right one that is the game. Maybe I’ll find something better than the H6 someday, but I don’t want to worry too much about it.

Sometimes I miss the days before I was picky; when the M50x was the only thing I knew I didn’t care about anything else.

Feb 7, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #2,591 of 2,875
perfect speech. I think the same about the flaws. and in fact m50x defects it has: built, then sound unrefined, not very refined. do not hide that a certain weight has the absence of bluetooth adapters for h6 as fiio bta10 on m50x

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #2,593 of 2,875
I wound up ordering the New Fantasia cable (the one that is often recommended and costs $12 on Amazon) and I gotta say it’s a nice cable. I like the metal tips and the nylon fishnet sheath that covers the cable is very nice quality. It has a thick feeling to it and it’s a lot nicer than the stock cable for sure. Haven’t had any issues with microphonics, the only time the cable makes a little noise is if you deliberately rub it against itself. I think it actually fits into the barrel of the H6 better than the stock cable (a more satisfying click is made) and feels more tight and secure.

In terms of sound, I think I do hear a very small change. It sounds like the low end has a little more punch to it (I felt like I was noticing bass lines a little more), upper mid I felt had a little bit of shout to it that may be slightly reduced a bit, and the treble sounds a little smoother. Just very small refinements is what I’m hearing, or it’s just placebo lol. But the cable is still worth it because it’s nicely built and feels more premium than the stock cable.

Mar 5, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #2,594 of 2,875
That's not placebo. Swapping cables is all about small refinements.
I have this cable and my impressions are exactly as your description.
Though I do prefer PCOCC braided cable even better (I was linking it earlier in the thread).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back