Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Feb 3, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #2,221 of 2,875
Hi All,

Picked up a pair of black H6 refurbished on a Groupon. Super happy with them, except one thing: I use an iPhone 7+ with a lightning connector.

Searching google and Amazon for a 3.5mm to Lightning cord WITH a microphone (don't care so much about the volume etc controls, but I do take calls through the headphones) it seems there are three that I can find, and I am curious if anyone has opinions before I buy.

I am currently using the Apple 3.5mm to Lightning adaptor, and it works fine, but I'd rather have one cord than two.

So here's what I can find:

Scosche has one (currently $27 on Amazon), only 2.9 stars: https://www.amazon.com/StrikeLine-Certified-Lightning-Microphone-Controls/dp/B01LWK36EW

Wero has one (currently $39 on Amazon) with no ratings or reviews: https://www.amazon.com/WERO-Lightni...rd_wg=qHWqu&psc=1&refRID=6X6C5R3Q60RSA8NAK9CZ

and Neomusica has one for $20, with 3.4 stars: https://www.amazon.com/NEOMUSICIA-r...sr=1-1&keywords=neomusicia+lightning+to+3.5mm

I'd be happy to spend more than any of these on a high quality cable. Doesn't B&O deal with the Apple Lightning issue?
I would try asking a question in the Amazon app under each of those listings if they work with the H6. I thought the H6 had some type of propriety connector but I’m not sure. Usually the seller of the item watches the “Ask Question” forum and should be able to answer it for you.
Im currently using the dongle adapter that Apple included with my iphone. I plug it into the end of the stock H6 cable and leave it attached. That way I plug it right into the phone and don’t worry about it.

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #2,222 of 2,875
I have the scosche strikeline cable. It works great with the H2. I don't recognise a difference in audio quality on these cans. I like the cable and how it's built.
I am searching for a lightning to 3,5 mm cable for a year now. This is the only decent one I have found. I had one of the other two cables you posted, I don't remember which. But as far as I remember both should be bad quality...
I think the scosche is the only good one so far... The 3,5mm fits into the H6 gen1 (DJ version) and as far as I remember audio quality was also the same. But I don't have these any more.
I like it. Only downside to it that doesn't make it the perfect 3,5 to lightning cable... call quality in the built in remote is crap... like Major crap. It pics up EVERYTHING around you. The person I call can't understand anything I'm saying ...

Feb 9, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #2,225 of 2,875
Wow, seems like B&O are really streamlining their Beoplay product range... still no H6 and H2 is gone as well. The only cable ones are the Form 2i and the in ear range. Their product page doesn’t look as messy as some while ago. No H3 ANC and E4 next to each other. Fine, but they are missing one great cable on-ear headphone ... I guess H6 really will be a collectors item. I see why they concentrate on wireless but why kill the H6 and H2 ...

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #2,226 of 2,875
Wow, seems like B&O are really streamlining their Beoplay product range... still no H6 and H2 is gone as well. The only cable ones are the Form 2i and the in ear range. Their product page doesn’t look as messy as some while ago. No H3 ANC and E4 next to each other. Fine, but they are missing one great cable on-ear headphone ... I guess H6 really will be a collectors item. I see why they concentrate on wireless but why kill the H6 and H2 ...
H6 gen1 is the most valualbe can from Beoplay ever made. Very nice scale up and reflecting the source characteristic :3 nice. A mini HD800 :))

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #2,228 of 2,875
Has anyone reterminated the H6 to balance connection? If so, what type of difference in sound could I expect?

Thanks!
I have it on my mind but not make it real yet :))
From Amiron Home case, going to balance could improve much in sound stage.

Feb 19, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #2,229 of 2,875

Scosche was a failure. Cable is a little thin and flimsy, but my wife said the sound quality on a telephone call using the microphone was HORRIBLE. This cable picks up every bit of background noise, and my wife said it was basically unintelligible to listen to me call her from the basement, 20 feet away from a fan running.

I then switched back to the B&O cable and the little white Apple 3.5mm female to Lightning adaptor, and she said, "Ahhh, now I can hear you!"

Going to return the Scosche to Amazon and try the Wero next.

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #2,230 of 2,875
Scosche was a failure. Cable is a little thin and flimsy, but my wife said the sound quality on a telephone call using the microphone was HORRIBLE. This cable picks up every bit of background noise, and my wife said it was basically unintelligible to listen to me call her from the basement, 20 feet away from a fan running.

I then switched back to the B&O cable and the little white Apple 3.5mm female to Lightning adaptor, and she said, "Ahhh, now I can hear you!"

On a side note I like the iphone adapter. I find it takes the beating vs my B&O cable. So after time replacing the adapter is much easier and preserved my cable.

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #2,231 of 2,875

The Wero only has one review and it's bad... What beats the Wero's purpose is the control box being so close to the Phone. It's an adapter, not a lightning to 3,5mm cable.
Sadly the Scosche is the only one I found that's okay, just the Mic is absolutely useless.
I use it often with my H2 and trained myself to unplug and use the phone for calls.
I finally got an H6 Gen1 again! I guess they are going to be more and more expensive when the stock runs out..
SO I'm back in the lightning to 3,5mm quest...
I ordered the Fiio i1. It is supposed to have a nice Mic and in theory, when attaching a short 3,5mm to 3,5mm cable to it, from the Fiio to the H6, it should be like a cable with DAC AMP and Mic... I will try it out...
Sadly I don't find any good and short cables that would fit into the H6's plug...

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #2,232 of 2,875
My gosh, has anyone ever made 1nd Gen earpads fit on 2st Gen H6?
I have a pre-owned pair of 2nd Gen H6 in black. I wanted to replace the earpads because I got some Rapha replacement earpads from a colleague.
I can't for the life of me fit the right earpad on the H6... the left fits like a glove.
I tried fitting my 1st gen H6 in natural earpads on my 2nd Gen black one... same thing. The rotation mechanism inside seems to be a bit different in the right earcup.
Anyone ever made them fit? Am I stupid?

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #2,233 of 2,875
My gosh, has anyone ever made 1nd Gen earpads fit on 2st Gen H6?
I have a pre-owned pair of 2nd Gen H6 in black. I wanted to replace the earpads because I got some Rapha replacement earpads from a colleague.
I can't for the life of me fit the right earpad on the H6... the left fits like a glove.
I tried fitting my 1st gen H6 in natural earpads on my 2nd Gen black one... same thing. The rotation mechanism inside seems to be a bit different in the right earcup.
Anyone ever made them fit? Am I stupid?

Just takes a little fiddling. It may help to experiment with how you're lining the tabs and slots up.

Mar 23, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #2,234 of 2,875
I have both gen1 and gen2 and there is no problem with changing pads on them, though 1st gen pads on 2gen headphones do fit tighter.

Mar 23, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #2,235 of 2,875
Unbelievable. The fiddling trick actually worked.
I studied both earpads, Gen1 and Gen2. I compared them and discovered, one rail of the rotation mechanism on the Gen2 has a break/ is split in two rails, and on the Gen1 earpad is just one seamless rail.
So me, Sherlock Holmes, compared the Gen2 headphone and the Gen1 earpad and assumed, it won't fit.
Then you came with the fiddling advice and ... I was just not thinking practically... While the earpads are made to be attached parallel to the earcup, and the plastic alinement is made to NOT fit, when I approached the earcup kinda diagonally and attached the side with the misaligned plastic rail first and then moved it parallel and attached the rest... it fit and I could rotate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back