Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Mar 24, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #2,237 of 2,875
I picked a pair oh H6 2nd gen up from beoplay refurb store on eBay for £99. They look like brand new, my burned them in for 48 hours before use and I am very impressed. They have way more deep bass than I thought they would. I compared them with my B&W P7 wireless with the cable in, and while I think the P7 wins slightly in sound quality, the H6 are way more comfortable , you wouldn’t know you’re wearing them. All in all I made extremely happy with my purchase, a fantastic product

Mar 24, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #2,238 of 2,875
99 USD for them is a proper steal :)

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #2,239 of 2,875
I've been using my pair of H6 1st gens for a month or so at work; last week I decided that I would get a pair of 2nd gens just to compare apples to other apples. To start with, let me say that I use my 1st gens with the headband at the absolute smallest setting and it is perfect on my head. The 2nd gens, even at their smallest setting, are too big to fit comfortably. I noticed an increase in bass response with the 2nd gens, but swapping the pads onto the 1st gens increased the bass on them - I'd be curious to see some testing done, but I do not have the requisite equipment to do this myself.

Mar 27, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #2,241 of 2,875
It should be possible to bend the metal of the headband a little bit to improve the fit.

It's not that they're too loose, they just sit too low on my head - I apparently have the melon of a small child. If the headband is resting on my gourd, then the ear pads are too low; if I set the ear pads properly, I have probably 1/2" of free space between my dome and the headband.

Not a huge problem, I've EQ'd the 1st gens using APO to give them a little more kick and will be returning the 2nd gens. I am, however, seriously interested in a pair of Rapha ear pads but they're out of stock and I can't find them even used anywhere. If anyone knows of anything let me know, please :)

Mar 28, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #2,242 of 2,875
Hey guys,

Been using the first gen H6 for a year or so now, and they have been such a great headphone. Impressive bass response, great balanced sound with nice detail. Really a gem of a headphone.

I know the first gen has a bit higher impedance than the second gen, and I was wondering if you think I would benefit from an amp? I use them at work and at the moment they are just plugged into my computer (my Sabre DAC got poached for another system). I don’t listen terribly loud and have plenty of volume, but my HD6XX certainly benefit from good amplification.

Was looking at something like the Schiit Fulla 2 as a small desktop solution in my office, hoping that would pair well.

Also, has anyone upgraded the cable? I bought one of those cheap Chinese ones off amazon (new Fantasia?) and it’s worked fine, but it’s a stiff cable and a bit shorter than I would like. Any recommendations for something that is pliable but not super pricey?

Thanks!

Mar 28, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #2,243 of 2,875
Hey guys,

Was looking at something like the Schiit Fulla 2 as a small desktop solution in my office, hoping that would pair well.

Also, has anyone upgraded the cable? I bought one of those cheap Chinese ones off amazon (new Fantasia?) and it’s worked fine, but it’s a stiff cable and a bit shorter than I would like. Any recommendations for something that is pliable but not super pricey?

Thanks!

Hey Transman,
I am using a Fulla 2 at work, and with the gain set at 0 I have to keep the volume knob under 9 o'clock. It's not bad, but it really doesn't do anything to help the light bass on these. A quick EQ adjustment (if you desire) can be done for free, and the Fulla 2 has plenty of overhead to cover a gain decrease so that clipping doesn't occur.

As for the cable, I'm currently using https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYTR7KQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1 with no issues. It fits great, sounds good, is plenty durable, and long enough for my usage.
You didn't ask, but I also tried https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074W4J3XQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to transport them safely to/from work and it works like a gem - I can't recommend this case enough.

Hope this helped!

Mar 28, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #2,244 of 2,875
Hey Transman,
I am using a Fulla 2 at work, and with the gain set at 0 I have to keep the volume knob under 9 o'clock. It's not bad, but it really doesn't do anything to help the light bass on these. A quick EQ adjustment (if you desire) can be done for free, and the Fulla 2 has plenty of overhead to cover a gain decrease so that clipping doesn't occur.

As for the cable, I'm currently using https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYTR7KQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1 with no issues. It fits great, sounds good, is plenty durable, and long enough for my usage.
You didn't ask, but I also tried https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074W4J3XQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to transport them safely to/from work and it works like a gem - I can't recommend this case enough.

Hope this helped!

Thanks!! This is a big help, sounds like an amp won’t be too huge of a benefit, but I wonder if it’s still worth getting for the DAC? I like having a physical volume knob to adjust, and I don’t know that I’d find something like that cheaper.

That cable is currently out of stock but I’ll set a reminder, hopefully it’s more flexible than the one I have.

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #2,245 of 2,875
Thanks!! This is a big help, sounds like an amp won’t be too huge of a benefit, but I wonder if it’s still worth getting for the DAC? I like having a physical volume knob to adjust, and I don’t know that I’d find something like that cheaper.

That cable is currently out of stock but I’ll set a reminder, hopefully it’s more flexible than the one I have.

The volume knob was one of the main reasons I got it; that and I was getting an awful lot of feedback due to the mass of wires and the old hardware I'm using at work (the audio port is junk). The Fulla 2 significantly reduced the amount of signal noise. For $100 it was well worth it for me to clean up the sound and get a physical knob.

edit: the cable is not the most flexible I've seen, and it has a bit of memory to it. But I really like the texture (and color options) and it feels significantly sturdier than the stock cable.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #2,246 of 2,875
The volume knob was one of the main reasons I got it; that and I was getting an awful lot of feedback due to the mass of wires and the old hardware I'm using at work (the audio port is junk). The Fulla 2 significantly reduced the amount of signal noise. For $100 it was well worth it for me to clean up the sound and get a physical knob.

edit: the cable is not the most flexible I've seen, and it has a bit of memory to it. But I really like the texture (and color options) and it feels significantly sturdier than the stock cable.

Yeah I think I’m sold on the Fulla 2, I’m not working with the cleanest of outputs either and I think the H6 has enough resolution to benefit from that upgrade.

Good to know on the cable, my NewFantasia one is built well and looks nice, but way too stiff. Sounds like that VModa one will be what I go with, the price is great as well!

Thanks for all the help!

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #2,247 of 2,875
Apologies in advance for threadjacking, but reading about these phones AND the Momentum 2.0 has made me VERY curious...

I just recently got the DT 770 Pro 32 Ohm. Fantastic headphone for their price range, in fact maybe even worth more than the $160 I paid for them. Velour pads came with it. The bass is just right, goes very deep when the music calls for it, mids are present, apparently the 80 ohm version has less. Clarity and detail, great.

My one negative on the sound spectrum, the treble can be a little too much sometimes. I can’t blast these with bright mastered material, as these phones can emphasize it. It’s also my first pair of “brighter” phones. I’m coming off the M50x, which were dark and boomy.

When I first got them I was a little alarmed by the sound but now I like them, just still a little too harsh in treble sometimes, but it is nicely detailed and extended.

I’m still wondering though, how do the H6 and M2 compare to these? Can someone chime in? I’d just dig some opinions. Comfort is also big for me. I stopped using the M50’s and got the 770’s because the M50’s were getting too uncomfortable.

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #2,248 of 2,875
So I owned the M2 for a short while as I was shopping for a nice closed set for work. The ear cups are a bit snug, though better than the first generation. As such they are warm headphones, and my ears did sweat a bit compared to the H6. Comfort was good assuming your ears fit, but long listening sessions are probably not practical, I’d say it was probably a wash overall.

Bass on both is good, it’s a strong suit of them. I’d give the edge to the H6 just because it’s mkre impactful and well defined. The mids are more forward on the M2, indicative of the Sennheiser house sound. Highs though go to the H6, very clear and detailed without being fatiguing. I felt myself wanting more on the top end with the M2, they come across veiled in comparison.

I ended up returning the M2 and keeping my H6, it was a more enjoyable sound for me and I could wear them for longer periods of time. Also I paid $199 for the first gen H6 compared to nearly $400 for the M2 when I was trying them, so it was a bargain I couldn’t pass up.

The H6 are a real gem in the headphone world and I feel like they are a bit under the radar for a lot of people. If they offered up a generation 3 with bigger cups that are removable, they’d probably sell like hot cakes.

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #2,249 of 2,875
I haven't used the Beyerdynamics, but they're known for being bright, I think. The H6 is definitely not a bright headphone; I've never had problems with brighter recordings on them. H6 also responds pretty well to EQ, if you need to make adjustments.

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #2,250 of 2,875
Just realized I forgot to compare them to the 770s, it’s been a while since I heard them but they definitely have the V shaped sound. Strong low end, maybe a bit more than the H6, but the mids are recessed and the highs are forward. I felt the treble was done better on the H6 as they gave me the detail without being fatiguing. Comfort is better on the 770s, but I don’t think the cable is removable if that matters.

My musical tastes lean towards classic rock and alt rock and acoustic stuff, so for me a nice rich mid range is great. While the M2 were the best for that, the veiled top end and overall fit knocked them below the H6. The 770 would be in last place for my tastes.

I also had the NAD HP50 and Sony MDR-1A to try and didn’t like either. The NAD did not fit well on my head and the Sony just seemed kind of boring sound wise. Didn’t really excel at anytbing in particular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back