Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
May 2, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #1,741 of 2,875
Well my Lavricables Reference Silver cable (1.5 m) arrived today. Very pleased with the grey silk sleeving and the ViaBlue 3.5 mm plug that Konstantin ( @lavricables ) put on it. It was a pleasure dealing with Konstantin. I'll report after a week or so of listening.

20170502_221030.jpg
B&O H6v1 + Lavricables Reference Silver.jpg

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #1,743 of 2,875
UPDATE:

I made two (2) adjustments to the EQ offset as a result of my yearly visit to my otolaryngologist today.

After my tests I showed the doctor Tyll’s frequency response signature of the B&O H6v.1, as well as my first stab at a Harman Target Response Curve EQ Offset. He agreed that my first four corrections/adjustments (@125-130 Hz; 165-170 Hz; 1 kHz; and 2.6 kHz) looked spot on, then the surprise came… he pointed out a dip on the response curve and gently questioned why I had not corrected the recess at 4 kHz! I had completely missed it! He suggested that if I adjusted that by +2 to +3 dB vocals would be more defined and clearer (especially in my case as one of my weak areas is @ 3.5-4.5 kHz) and he was right. Point ‘One’ for the doc!

Innerfidelity_TyllHertsens_BOH6Measurements-Copy.png

Regarding my fifth and last correction at 17-17.5 kHz he thought it was unnecessary… the B&O H6’s hot area after 10 kHz with the significant rise up from 12.5 to 17.5 kHz was well under -10dB at its highest and still too low to be audibly harsh or significantly disturbing. He asked if I had noted any change when I had applied the -8dB correction at 17-17.5 Hz and I honestly said I could not. He replied that he believed that the human ear has great difficulty in discerning differences and separating sounds starting somewhere around 15.5-16 kHz. On his behest when I arrived home I applied a 20 dB increase at 17-17.5 kHz and heard nothing, no distortions even, so I removed the correction at 17-17.5 kHz completely. Point ‘Two’ for the doc!

BOH6v1_HarmanTargetResponseCurve-EQOffset.png

Well as many of you might have figured and/or predicted my recent mad EQ experimentation with my B&O H6s ended in a bloody disaster! I thoroughly confused my brain and tortured my ears with this initial exercise in futility. The distortions royally screwed up my headphone's sound signature making some of my music files and genres totally unlistenable. In fact, I say it nearly went as badly as my ignorant foray into open-backs (via LCD-2s)... the hearing-impaired + chatty Siamese women + Thai tv soaps 24/7 open-backs!

I received some helpful advice from @zambz and enlightenment from a few other members and soon realized that I really had no idea what I was doing so I decided to study up on the Harman Target Response Curve; headphone response measurements; parametric eqs; and headphone eq’ing techniques for an entire night and day… especially learning a lot from the following @Tyll Hertsens articles and videos and Head-Fi member @Lunatique post:
I then studied Tyll’s headphone frequency response plot and square wave measurements for the B&O H6 v.1

Innerfidelity_TyllHertsens_BOH6Measurements.png

After some momentous foobar2k plugin crashes and extension hiccups I finally managed to find and successfully cooperate with a parametric equalizer (hooray for me!): Kjaerhus Audio’s Golden Equalizer (GEQ-7S) via Foobar2000 VST 2.4 adapter extension. With very pleasing and satisfactorily results I believe I was able to correct/adjust the five (5) known and concerning signature hiccups on my first generation B&O H6s as follows:

BOH6_HarmonTargetResponseCurve-EQOffsetCurve.png

20 – 250 Hz (Two Corrections)
The H6 v.1’s very nice upward transition into the bass from 250 Hz to 20 Hz is interrupted by a strange and very sharp 5dB dip at 165-170 kHz and a 2+dB peak at 125-130 Hz; both were corrected to smooth out this upward curve.

250 Hz – 3 kHz (One Correction / One Adjustment )
The H6 v.1’s long and smooth linear rise from 250 Hz to 3 kHz is interrupted by a slight ~2db peak at exactly 1 kHz and a minor 3db dip at 2.6 kHz; both were corrected to smooth out this otherwise excellent rise.

3 kHz – 22 kHz (One Correction)
The H6 v.1's treble in the top octave above 10 kHz runs a little hot with a significant spike (peak) at 17-17.5 kHz so I lowered this by 8db to settle it down. The second peak in the response at 8-10 kHz is normal for many headphones (Staxs; LCDs; HD800; HD600) and is thought to be due to an ear canal resonance… all the adjustments I made didn’t seem to help any and besides it is more than 5 db under the 0db line and doesn’t sound bad to me so I just left this peak alone.​

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #1,744 of 2,875
The £129.00 H6's on ebay that I bought are now back on sale at £239.00, so I guess maybe they are not being revised or discontinued.

I also noticed that one buyer purchased 100 pairs costing £12,900.00.

Thank you so much for calling that sale to our attention. I did order one in black for my husband. It will arrive tomorrow. Also the cable you found is great. My grey one arrived today and fits very easily into the V.2 with no force needed. Looks great with my headphones. I will post a photo later or tomorrow.

May 3, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #1,745 of 2,875
Here is mine in its Geekria case with the new grey Belkin cable. I had no problem with the stock cable but I wanted a spare. I have plenty of extra black cables but I wanted a grey one as the original is also grey.
R0012496.JPG

Attachments

• R0012496.JPG
    R0012496.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
May 4, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #1,748 of 2,875
Here is mine in its Geekria case with the new grey Belkin cable. I had no problem with the stock cable but I wanted a spare. I have plenty of extra black cables but I wanted a grey one as the original is also grey.

Glad to see that the grey Belkin goes well with the tan H6, my new headphones arrived today along with a grey Belkin and a black Belkin.

Here is the black with black H6.
Black Cable H6.jpg

These cables are sold as Aux cables but they are very good as H6 headphone cables.

May 4, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #1,749 of 2,875
Thank you so much for calling that sale to our attention. I did order one in black for my husband. It will arrive tomorrow. Also the cable you found is great. My grey one arrived today and fits very easily into the V.2 with no force needed. Looks great with my headphones. I will post a photo later or tomorrow.

No problem, I am glad you got a bargain.

May 5, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #1,752 of 2,875
Just a quick question. I really love my H6 but I would like to replace the ear pads. Will the ear pads for the 2nd Gen. H6 (all black) fit the regular H6?
Yes, they are interchangeable. I specifically put both B&O H6 v.1 OEM and Rapha Ear Pads on a set of version 2s a month or so back. Only major difference on the version 2 besides the different metal arms was the headphone ear cup jack which was a tad tighter (smaller diameter)... took some effort to plug-in the V-MODA audio only cable that I had been using on my version 1s but it did finally go in and worked fine.

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #1,753 of 2,875
Yes, they are interchangeable. I specifically put both B&O H6 v.1 OEM and Rapha Ear Pads on a set of version 2s a month or so back. Only major difference on the version 2 besides the different metal arms was the headphone ear cup jack which was a tad tighter (smaller diameter)... took some effort to plug-in the V-MODA audio only cable that I had been using on my version 1s but it did finally go in and worked fine.

Do you honestly hear any difference with these cables?

I cannot hear any difference between the OEM cable and the cheap Belkin Aux cable that I am using now.

May 5, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #1,754 of 2,875
I never notice differences among cables. I only replace original cables for comfort reasons...original is too long, too short, too sprongy, too microphonic etc.

If I am using my DAP those issues can annoy me and detract from my music. If I am at my desktop it does not matter too much as a I have a decent way to manage a too long cable plus I am not moving about. I only changed the Beoplay one because if the original were to become damaged none of the spare cables I have would work because of mine being the natural color ones.

I hate non-detachable cables. I really wish I could get rid of the cable that is attached to my Grado 325e. Its so heavy and thick it nearly pulls me off the sofa when I am trying to relax with my portable setup! :o2smile:

I really just get immersed in my music and don't really notice whatever differences there may be in sound when I change a cable.

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #1,755 of 2,875
:):):)
A much improved pic of my current 'wannabe' audiophile setup:

BOH6v1_DFB_Setup.jpg

I need to work on getting better photos of my headphones. I find it difficult. Those pads look cool (in both meanings of the word). All you need to do now is dye the tan part of the headband black :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back