Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Feb 7, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #632 of 2,875
  It is, isn`t it?  

I owned the T5p for almost a year, and I have demo`d the newer 1770 several times, and did an A/B session with the PM-3, 1770, AKT5p and EL-8 closed.  The PM-3 and EL-8 were out immediately (PM-3 is gorgeously made and as comfortable as the H6 but sounds lifeless to me; the EL-8 is just nonsense, a mumbling head-weight device).  The AKT5p and 1770 both have excellent sound IMO; the former has that open-HP-like soundstage and intense detail and the AK version has the better low-end (IMO) especially with AK`s specific EQ; the 1770 has less-reference sound, more fun while also being high-quality.  The reasons I said the H6 is better than either of them are that, for me, the H6 sound is as good with most tracks, slightly better with some tracks, and the B&Os are much smaller, lighter, collapsible and cheaper.   

If you haven't already, be sure to try the open Audeze EL-8s.  I definitely agree with your statement re the closed version, but as a lover of my H6, I must admit that my open EL-8s take things to another level.  The main thing you may miss is the extra sub bass of the H6s (can be EQed back in easily if needed{, but on the open EL-8s you'll get those lower mids back that you lose with the H6,  a really smooth and luxurious midrange and treble that blows away any headphone and even loudspeaker / studio monitor I've heard.  Switching to the H6 after listening to the open EL-8s for a while leaves me a bit disappointed.  But I would never even dream of travelling with my EL-8s, even if the closed version sounded as good as the open, they are very heavy and honestly not as comfortable as the H6s at all.  But, they are extremely well made and overall do beat the H6s in terms of sound.

Feb 7, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #633 of 2,875
Thanks for the update.

I totally agree with you about the PM-3 (strangely dull and lifeless sounding) and the EL-8 Closed (they sounded so bad when I first demoed them, I literally thought they were broken).

I've recently become a Beyerdynamic convert thanks to the DT 990's and I plan on eventually getting a pair of either the T5p or T1.

I've only heard the H6 once before at an Apple store and I thought they sounded great but unfortunately they were connected to an iPod Touch and it just didn't have enough output to get them loud enough so I could really hear what they are capable of.  As has already been stated in this thread, even though the H6 were designed primarily for portable use, they only show how good they really are when powered by a high quality amp (and DAC).

So after having read through most of this thread, the H6's are now definitely on my Must Get list!

Agree ... to a point ... I have owned both for about 6 months and out of the box, the H6s sound clearer with a nice treble extension... I was also thinking of sending the PM3s back for the same reason that initially they sounded dull and lifeless ... however a couple of things have stopped me from doing this.
One, is that they do benefit from burn in ... I've probably played mine for about 80hrs now and they definitely have started to open up.
Secondly, unlike the H6s which are more than happy to be driven directly from my iPhone or iPad, the PM3s really do need a better source. When you use them with the HPA-2 or explorer 2 DAC and a min of CD quality rips they open up enormously, the bass extension and control just highlights how the H6s muddy things a tad at the bottom end, and the pm3s treble suddenly is back (but still not as bright as the H6s).
So overall, I would say I love them both but for different situations ... I know that Oppo market the PM3s as portable capable, but I really don't think they are and the H6s beat them hands down in this scenario, but for at home quality, with the amp/ DAC driving them, the PM3s take the overall detail to another level.
So I will keeping the H6s for the long term ... the pm3s may be replaced in the longer term with an open back alternative (as I really only use them at home) and may even consider the PM2s if the budget allows.

Horses for courses, me thinks ....

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #634 of 2,875
  Is there a difference in sound between the DJ Khaled branded H6 and the regular H6? I saw a review on youtube that said the DJ Khaled's have more bass. Is there any truth to this?

I believe it was this thread, earlier on, where the DJ Khaled was discussed.  I think an owner even posted . . . Anyway, according to the comments, the Khaled has different drivers, apparently, and is tuned to be bass-heavy, to have audible bass in a club situation.  

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #635 of 2,875
  Is there a difference in sound between the DJ Khaled branded H6 and the regular H6? I saw a review on youtube that said the DJ Khaled's have more bass. Is there any truth to this?

I have the DJ Khaled versions. Definitively more  bass.  I tried both the regular version and the DJ Khaled version at the same B&O shop. The DJ Khaled was more for me. 
I listen to all kinds of music and i think they work fine.

The only difference is the drivers, the headband(the headband have "we the people" stamped on it) and the cord. 

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #637 of 2,875
Hi there,

I've just joined the B&O H6 club after spending few hours trying different cans at hifi store. The number one priority now is to replace the stock cable. I haven't read the entire thread so apologies if my question has already been answered, where do people order custom cable for H6?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #638 of 2,875
T
  Hi there,

I've just joined the B&O H6 club after spending few hours trying different cans at hifi store. The number one priority now is to replace the stock cable. I haven't read the entire thread so apologies if my question has already been answered, where do people order custom cable for H6?

Thanks in advance.

Take a look on the VMODA cable, I was planning to get one but too bad they don't have a proper dealer in UK...

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #640 of 2,875
Thank you. I was actually hoping to get a custom made cable but google didn't produce any results.

There is really a CUSTOM-CABLE, but is pretty high-end cables are being sold in the website, can consider if you have the budget :p

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #641 of 2,875
Thank you. I was actually hoping to get a custom made cable but google didn't produce any results.

I use this cable from Furutech/Alpha Design Lab: 

You can see the long list of compatible headphones, which give you an idea how many cables the H6 can use.  As long as the 3.5 plug on the headphone end isn`t too wide, many many cables will work with the H6 . . . 

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #642 of 2,875

I use this cable from Furutech/Alpha Design Lab: 

You can see the long list of compatible headphones, which give you an idea how many cables the H6 can use.  As long as the 3.5 plug on the headphone end isn`t too wide, many many cables will work with the H6 . . . 

Would love to own this cable, wish it weren't 90 EUR here in Germany.

Are there any other decent cheaper alternatives excluding the v moda and FIIO cable?

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #643 of 2,875
Currently using the V-moda and it was an upgrade over stock. I am still burning it in but have high hopes for this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pure-Solid-Silver-upgrade-cable-for-BeoPlay-H6-NAD-VISO-HP50-Logitech-UE9000-/171436801450

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #644 of 2,875
Currently using the V-moda and it was an upgrade over stock. I am still burning it in but have high hopes for this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pure-Solid-Silver-upgrade-cable-for-BeoPlay-H6-NAD-VISO-HP50-Logitech-UE9000-/171436801450

Interesting, for me personally I would rather stick with copper as I fear silver would emphasise the treble little too much for me.

Looking forward to your findings.

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #645 of 2,875
Yeah, there may be a silver cable for sale on the appropriate forum here shortly :xf_eek:

My experience has been that if the cable is well made and has a high percentage of silver I can't tell the difference from copper after burn in; your millage may vary...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back