Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Jan 24, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #616 of 2,875
Just to chime in: I've had the H6 for over a year, and recently started to use it more again. Personally, I can't say I hear any notable difference between stock cable and the vmoda boom mic.

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #617 of 2,875
i have been using my H6 for couple hours now. really don't like the sound lol. perhaps it needs more burn in time.
String play is great but not really liking other sounds. Also the cushion on headband is very soft almost like no cushion. 
My head feels the hard headband. Also expected the leather on headband to be more "leathery" instead of looking and feeling like a 
"sheet" of leather lol

i'll give it few more days if it doesn't work out then.. B&W P5 Series 2 it is.

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #619 of 2,875
i have been using my H6 for couple hours now. really don't like the sound lol. perhaps it needs more burn in time.
String play is great but not really liking other sounds. Also the cushion on headband is very soft almost like no cushion. 
My head feels the hard headband. Also expected the leather on headband to be more "leathery" instead of looking and feeling like a 
"sheet" of leather lol

i'll give it few more days if it doesn't work out then.. B&W P5 Series 2 it is.
the sound definitely becomes fuller with burn-in. The sounds was definitely a lot harsher when I first bought my pair and is pretty awesome now thanks to burn in.

To help with the comfort, try adjusting the headphones such that the ear cups go beyond your ear lobes, instead of just letting the cups rest on them. Definitely takes the pressure off your head.

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #621 of 2,875

The snob is still stuck in his skinny jeans in the lower mids, the two yobos deliver more thickness.
tongue.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #622 of 2,875
How would these compare to other closed headphones sonically such as the PM3 etc? They are different technologies, but am looking for a closed set and can't decide! Would these be more rugged for everyday use compared to a planar headphone?

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #623 of 2,875
How would these compare to other closed headphones sonically such as the PM3 etc? They are different technologies, but am looking for a closed set and can't decide! Would these be more rugged for everyday use compared to a planar headphone?

They are quite different headphones and both have their flaws.

Bass - Both very well extended but H6 has far more quantity
Midbass- The H6 has recessed midbass- which is it's main flaw IMHO. Due to this,the PM3 will likely sound fuller, particularly with voices where the H6 can sound a tad thin.
Mids - Both very nice and present, the PM3s are probably a pinch more present
Treble - The H6s are well extended but not harsh at all, while the PM3s are heavily rolled off which make them come off as dull sounding
Soundstage - The H6 destroys the PM3 in this department, the PM3 soundstage leaves a lot to be desired, even for a closed headphone
Build - Both are built extremely well but the H6 does use real leather while the PM3 uses a very nice but synthetic leather
Comfort - I never bought the PM3 so not sure how they are for long periods but during my demo I found them very comfortable but will probably sweat a bit. The H6 are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

The planar technology does give an overall tighter sound on the PM3s but for me, this is ruined by the lack of treble extension and soundstage.

Hope this helps! :)

Jan 29, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #624 of 2,875

Midbass- The H6 has recessed midbass- which is it's main flaw IMHO. Due to this,the PM3 will likely sound fuller, particularly with voices where the H6 can sound a tad thin.
Treble - The H6s are well extended but not harsh at all, while the PM3s are heavily rolled off which make them come off as dull sounding
Soundstage - The H6 destroys the PM3 in this department, the PM3 soundstage leaves a lot to be desired, even for a closed headphone
Build - Both are built extremely well but the H6 does use real leather while the PM3 uses a very nice but synthetic leather
Comfort - I never bought the PM3 so not sure how they are for long periods but during my demo I found them very comfortable but will probably sweat a bit. The H6 are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

The planar technology does give an overall tighter sound on the PM3s but for me, this is ruined by the lack of treble extension and soundstage.

Hope this helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thats an awesome summary. Thanks!

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #625 of 2,875

Hope this helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, nailed it.

I can add the color commentary that when I sat down for an extended A-B session with my H6 versus a shop`s PM-3, after a few minutes it became clear that, for me, the PM-3 has nothing to challenge the H6 with - the fight was not fair.  The Oppo is lifeless compared to the B&O.  A better battle is the H6 versus much more expensive gear like the beyer 1770 or T5p . .  and the H6 still wins against them, too!.   

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #626 of 2,875

Yes, nailed it.

I can add the color commentary that when I sat down for an extended A-B session with my H6 versus a shop`s PM-3, after a few minutes it became clear that, for me, the PM-3 has nothing to challenge the H6 with - the fight was not fair.  The Oppo is lifeless compared to the B&O.  A better battle is the H6 versus much more expensive gear like the beyer 1770 or T5p . .  and the H6 still wins against them, too!.   

I completely agree.  Even against the closed Audeze EL-8s, I would take the H6s.  It's only when you start to compare the H6s to open headphones that they start to show their weaknesses.  I will admit that I do prefer my "open" EL-8s that essentially resolve all the issues of the H6 and have a tighter and more refined sound, but then again, I could never jump on the train with a pair of open headphones and the H6s are still more comfortable.

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #627 of 2,875
Been using H6 for a month now! really love it! But I still find my beloved T90 is more comfortable for me. Probably because the thicker velour ear pad wish there is velour ear pad for H6 that I can buy! The T90 has better soundstage and imaging too. However I really prefer H6's bass and the treble is not as harsh as well.

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #628 of 2,875

A better battle is the H6 versus much more expensive gear like the beyer 1770 or T5p . .  and the H6 still wins against them, too!.   

That's a bold statement!

I have DT 990's and they are one of the best sounding and imaging headphones I've ever heard.
Could you elaborate on this a little?
popcorn.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #629 of 2,875

That's a bold statement!

I have DT 990's and they are one of the best sounding and imaging headphones I've ever heard.
Could you elaborate on this a little?
popcorn.gif

It is, isn`t it?  

I owned the T5p for almost a year, and I have demo`d the newer 1770 several times, and did an A/B session with the PM-3, 1770, AKT5p and EL-8 closed.  The PM-3 and EL-8 were out immediately (PM-3 is gorgeously made and as comfortable as the H6 but sounds lifeless to me; the EL-8 is just nonsense, a mumbling head-weight device).  The AKT5p and 1770 both have excellent sound IMO; the former has that open-HP-like soundstage and intense detail and the AK version has the better low-end (IMO) especially with AK`s specific EQ; the 1770 has less-reference sound, more fun while also being high-quality.  The reasons I said the H6 is better than either of them are that, for me, the H6 sound is as good with most tracks, slightly better with some tracks, and the B&Os are much smaller, lighter, collapsible and cheaper.   

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #630 of 2,875

I owned the T5p for almost a year, and I have demo`d the newer 1770 several times, and did an A/B session with the PM-3, 1770, AKT5p and EL-8 closed.  The PM-3 and EL-8 were out immediately (PM-3 is gorgeously made and as comfortable as the H6 but sounds lifeless to me; the EL-8 is just nonsense, a mumbling head-weight device).  The AKT5p and 1770 both have excellent sound IMO; the former has that open-HP-like soundstage and intense detail and the AK version has the better low-end (IMO) especially with AK`s specific EQ; the 1770 has less-reference sound, more fun while also being high-quality.  The reasons I said the H6 is better than either of them are that, for me, the H6 sound is as good with most tracks, slightly better with some tracks, and the B&Os are much smaller, lighter, collapsible and cheaper.   

Thanks for the update.

I totally agree with you about the PM-3 (strangely dull and lifeless sounding) and the EL-8 Closed (they sounded so bad when I first demoed them, I literally thought they were broken).

I've recently become a Beyerdynamic convert thanks to the DT 990's and I plan on eventually getting a pair of either the T5p or T1.

I've only heard the H6 once before at an Apple store and I thought they sounded great but unfortunately they were connected to an iPod Touch and it just didn't have enough output to get them loud enough so I could really hear what they are capable of.  As has already been stated in this thread, even though the H6 were designed primarily for portable use, they only show how good they really are when powered by a high quality amp (and DAC).

So after having read through most of this thread, the H6's are now definitely on my Must Get list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back