Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Aug 14, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #437 of 2,875
I sold my P7's to buy the H6 some months back
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, you were ahead of me on this, but I am now a true believer.  Once upon a time I thought my P7's were awfully good...then I followed the H6 rabbit down the hole.  Oh well...

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #438 of 2,875

Well, you were ahead of me on this, but I am now a true believer.  Once upon a time I thought my P7's were awfully good...then I followed the H6 rabbit down the hole.  Oh well...

I`m also a former P7 owner who thought it awfully good, and a former Beyer T5P and T51P owner who thought them awfully good, AND a former Denon MM400 owner who it awfully good.  All of them are better than good IMO,  great in fact - sound quality, isolation, functionality (except T5P - non folding).  

But after picking up a set of the limited blue H6 last week I`m convinced these are thee best portable, closed, full-size headphones available. The detail, the separation, the bass quality (yes, including sub-bass) is EXACTLY what I like.  And they`re relatively low-profile, fold flat, isolate like earplugs (on my glasses-wearing cranium), are not hideous to look at and either are or seem extremely light.   

I have a couple of questions I couldn`t find answered in this thread or the others : 

1. What are the tech specs for the H6?  Out of my AK120ii, the volume is way up in the 50s (out of 75max).  Does anyone have the spec list, especially impedance and sensitivity?

2. Has anyone queried B&O about what`s going on with the wiring inside?  The whole daisy-chain functionality, while not something I think of using, interests me because it may mean the H6 is balance-able with either a split cable or a simple internal mod.  I would like to run it from my AK balanced . . .  

If no-one knows I will haul myself up from my deck chair and email B&O myself . . .   

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #439 of 2,875
Bang & Olufsen is horrible at providing technical specifications to their products in their website. But here is the sensitivity:

Frequency range:
20 - 22,000 Hz
Impedance
30 Ohm
Sensitivity
97 dB/mW @ 1kHz

It is not possible to make the H6 balanced without rewiring the drivers. The wiring to both sides share the same common ground so you would have to detach the cables in each side to the drivers and recable them inside by simply removing the connection to the cables crossing over the headband. The drivers are easily accessible though and since there is jack-input in each side it should be possible. 

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #440 of 2,875
Thanks, rasmushorn, that was the info I was looking for.  As I suspected the sensitivity is low - almost 10db less than Senn HD800 - which is a good thing IMO because I like to get the volume knob up in the middle ranges.  

I`m absolutely loving these headphones.  

Aug 22, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #441 of 2,875
Have had the H6 for two weeks now and probably have about 60 hours on them.  Been using them the last week with my JDS Labs C5, and quite pleased with the sound.  I will say, however, that the C5 adds less to the party than it does with some of my other headphones (P7, K7XXX, DT 1350).  For travel and portable use I would not hesitate to "travel light" and leave the C5 at home.

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #442 of 2,875
I recently just sold my B&O H6. 

I'd bought them for $200 because I got REALLLYYY lucky when they were having a sale. I sold them for $300. XD Best ******* deal I've ever made. 

I miss them a lot, but I have full sized speakers now... :)

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #444 of 2,875
There has been some discussion and suggestions for suitable travel cases for the H6.  I had one of the tablet sleeves (see below link) lying around and it seems to do a pretty good job.

http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Gear-Notebook-Computers-Assorted/dp/B00X69R42O/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1441364967&sr=8-19&keywords=swiss+gear+ipad+case

I use the outside pocket to stow my iPod Classic.  When folded the H6 fit nicely, and the sleeve offers adequate protection when stowing these in my messenger bag.  There are dozens of different styles for these types of sleeves available from just about everywhere.  This one seems to have a bit more padding than some of the cheaper models, and is less bulk than some of the hard shell cases I have looked at.

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #445 of 2,875
Just bought a pair of the H6 together with an DAC and amp (modi+magni). The headphones sound amazing, but I just wanted to point something out.
I had to listen to them directly from the source (macbook pro retina and Spotify) while I was sorting out the problems I had to set up the DAC and amp. I was impressed with the soundstage of the thing. I knew exactly where every instrument was located, but I felt something wasn't quite right.

The treble was too sharp, and the mids were sometimes vanishing because of this. Although vocals were clear and crystalline, it was like it was behind a lot of other stuff. Then I connected them with the DAC and amp. BOY. What a difference. The bass came alive. The treble, still perfectly clear, became well behaved and the mids gained a lot, A LOT, of life.

I know a lot of people in this thread said that these are easy to drive or that you don't need an amp with it. They're only 30ohm, for god sakes. But I couldn't recommend a good DAC and amp enough for listening with these. It will show how amazing the H6 can be.

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #446 of 2,875
I absolutely agree. The H6 scales very well. Some they sound boring and lifeless. But with good amping and good source they open up and they are technically better than just to be played from an iPhone. I often enjoy them with my Classic + Daccord. 

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #447 of 2,875
Ditto...I am using my H6 with my Classic>JDS C5 and find this combination to be my ideal portable rig...at least for the moment...

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #450 of 2,875
Just got the h6. Used them with a bunch of ipods. It seems the cable/plug is really finicky. If it wiggles just slightly, the sound from the heaphone crackles/fizzles. Then the sound turns thin and output from the left/right driver differs.

Is this normal?

What can i do about it?

Am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back