Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Apr 24, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #1,681 of 2,875
  Does anyone know if the gen 2s would be good for music production? Or are they not flat or neutral enough?

as a pure monitoring can to listen as you track they'd be fine imo but pretty much anything closed will also do

if they're the only thing you'd be listening to your mixes with then I wouldn't recommend it, yes they have a boosted bass but thats not really the reason I wouldn't recommend it. it's more because back when I studied audio production we were always told every piece of gear sounds at least a little different, and you should always evaluate a mix through as diverse gear as possible.
so if you've got most if not all of the following, then you should be ok using the h6's
some studio monitors, another set or two of cans, a car stereo, a home hifi of some kind, inbuilt computer speakers, a phone with speakers and most importantly a buddy who is into production too who has most if not all of the previous that's not the same barand/model as yours who's willing to borrow/lend gear to check a mix's.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #1,682 of 2,875
Well I didn't like Marco Arment's recommended EQ Offset for the H6s:

Way too much distortion happening at the low end; some of my tracks are unlistenable...

I am now trying @zambz recommended EQ Curve... interesting thus far.  It will take some time to get used to the reduced bass.  

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #1,683 of 2,875
Hello,

Can anyone help me if I understood the difference between H6 v1 and v2 correctly? I am keen to purchase either version and read through thread and reviews.

It seems that V1 is more neutral with rolled off bass and need more power to drive properly so may not ideal for portable use. V2 on the other hand has bigger bass and easier to drive so more suitable for portable use.

And, which one would be ideal for acoustic, folk, pop, rock and female vocal?

Thank you in advance....

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #1,684 of 2,875
  Hello,

Can anyone help me if I understood the difference between H6 v1 and v2 correctly? I am keen to purchase either version and read through thread and reviews.

It seems that V1 is more neutral with rolled off bass and need more power to drive properly so may not ideal for portable use. V2 on the other hand has bigger bass and easier to drive so more suitable for portable use.

And, which one would be ideal for acoustic, folk, pop, rock and female vocal?

Thank you in advance....

I did a large review comparison between the two when I had them both. It's in the middle of page 101 of this thread if that helps.

But yeah, you pretty much have it right. Now, to be clear, the "more power" isn't so much about volume, as it is about bass presence. My IPhone 6 could power the Gen 1s to a comfortable outdoor volume with about 1 tick mark left over (Not ideal, but not terrible). But outdoors they have no bass, which thins out everything else.

I personally liked the sound of Gen 1 better when at home. The bass had this sort of realistic surprise presence that I loved (especially on bass heavy tracks). However, I decided to keep the Gen 2s because they are much more convenient as portable headphones (in terms of bass presence and volume). 

Keep in mind, they are not very different. But they are different enough to have to consider between them.

The H6 is amazing for any genre. I guess the important question is, where will you be using them, and will you have a portable amp? (The Dragonfly amp is actually pretty good at driving my Gen 2s well past anything I'd need.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #1,685 of 2,875

I did a large review comparison between the two when I had them both. It's in the middle of page 101 of this thread if that helps.

But yeah, you pretty much have it right. Now, to be clear, the "more power" isn't so much about volume, as it is about bass presence. My IPhone 6 could power the Gen 1s to a comfortable outdoor volume with about 1 tick mark left over (Not ideal, but not terrible). But outdoors they have no bass, which thins out everything else.

I personally liked the sound of Gen 1 better when at home. The bass had this sort of realistic surprise presence that I loved (especially on bass heavy tracks. However, I decided to keep the Gen 2s because they are much more convenient as portable headphones (in terms of bass presence and volume). 

Keep in mind, they are not very different. But they are different enough to have to consider between them.

The H6 is amazing for any genre. I guess the important question is, where will you be using them, and will you have a portable amp? (The Dragonfly amp is actually pretty good at driving my Gen 2s well past anything I'd need.

Thank you very much. I will be using mainly at home and library.  I use Shanling M1 for portable source so not sure if it is powerful enough to drive H6 v1.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #1,686 of 2,875

Thank you very much. I will be using mainly at home and library.  I use Shanling M1 for portable source so not sure if it is powerful enough to drive H6 v1.

My bad, the actual review you are looking for is the first and last post on page 103 of this thread (especially the bottom post).

If that's the case (which is mainly what I use them for too), library, then you'd be fine with either. And to be honest, any extra power is more than enough. So you'll probably be just fine with that source. Otherwise, something like a Fiio E17k would give you abundant power (more power = more bass presence with the Gen 1 (for the most part). 

The Gen 2s are the safest buy (and sound incredible), but the Gen 1s are so special I'd suggest you try them out if you have the chance.

To put these headphones into my personal perspective, if I had to choose between my LCD-2 and my H6s, I'd have to think about it for a while. The LCDs sound mind blowing, but the H6s are so versatile, and do everything so well, that they've easily become one of my top 2 cans. Not to mention their price/looks are nice too. (Mine are Gen 2).

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #1,687 of 2,875

My bad, the actual review you are looking for is the first and last post on page 103 of this thread (especially the bottom post).

If that's the case (which is mainly what I use them for too), library, then you'd be fine with either. And to be honest, any extra power is more than enough. So you'll probably be just fine with that source. Otherwise, something like a Fiio E17k would give you abundant power (more power = more bass presence with the Gen 1 (for the most part). 

The Gen 2s are the safest buy (and sound incredible), but the Gen 1s are so special I'd suggest you try them out if you have the chance.

To put these headphones into my personal perspective, if I had to choose between my LCD-2 and my H6s, I'd have to think about it for a while. The LCDs sound mind blowing, but the H6s are so versatile, and do everything so well, that they've easily become one of my top 2 cans. Not to mention their price/looks are nice too. (Mine are Gen 2).

Thank you very much for helping me to decide. :) I will go for Gen 2. The price is a bit too much for me at the moment so will definitely snatch one up when it is on sale. (Hopefully soon...)

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #1,689 of 2,875

Thank you very much for helping me to decide. :) I will go for Gen 2. The price is a bit too much for me at the moment so will definitely snatch one up when it is on sale. (Hopefully soon...)

Yeah, they are definitely awesome, and I'm glad to help!

I know it's kind of hard to compare but I have an audeze sine, weight/comfortwise do you think the H6 gen 2 beats them for comfort?

I think they weigh the same, but I hear a lot of people complain about the comfort of the Sine. However, I've never used them before so I can't say for sure. Maybe someone else here could do that comparison.

The H6 are very comfortable. The pads are unnaturally soft leather, and they have just the right amount of clamp (at least for my leaning on larger sized head). Keep in mind that the ear cups are not huge, so they sit in a position where they are somewhat on ear, somewhat over ear because of the round shape of the hole (I have medium sized ears). But the softness of the pads helps mitigate that. I find them very comfortable.

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #1,690 of 2,875
  I know it's kind of hard to compare but I have an audeze sine, weight/comfortwise do you think the H6 gen 2 beats them for comfort?

Although they are the same weight the H6s, due to their design and pads, just feel lighter than the Sines... I found the Sines to be extremely uncomfortable (more so than my LCD-2s) and their sound (especially imaging and timbre) to me was noticeably behind my H6s.  The Sines do isolate better though.

I ended up gifting my LCD-2s after a silly foray into open-back territory which ended badly for them as they just gathered dust once I purchased the H6s.  Their (LCD-2) isolation was poor and they were uncomfortable (way too heavy; heavy clamping; sweaty as hell) and they really didn't sound much better than my H6s (probably due to weak, shallow bass) and I really found the imaging of the H6s very close if not comparable to the LCD-2s and dare I say nearing that of the HD800!

B&O H6s are super comfortable... the only headphones that I have found to be as, or more, comfortable than my H6s would be the Ether C, DT770, HD598, HD600, and definitely the HD800.

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #1,691 of 2,875
Wow! I must say that this thread is progressing nicely! To hear that the H6's bass is superior to that of the LCD-2 @WoodyLuvr is pretty cool. My LCD-X's handily out perform the H6 in every aspect except comfort imho hands down. I also own the AKG K267 and the Focal Spirit Pro's(FSP) and those 2 cans are definitely competitive with the H6's besting them in some areas and losing in others. The FSP's are really linear to my ears and have a delicate treble presence that has a slight roll off but never fatigues whereas the K267 has the ideal treble presence for me but doesn't have that uber deep sub-bass that the H6 has when amped correctly.
My Phiaton MS500's have too much elevation in the presence region and sound almost splashy compared to the H6's. I think for a closed can the H6's are just awesome and hold there own against even some open cans. I think I will compare them at some point to my AKG K712s hmmm.

Apr 25, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #1,692 of 2,875
Wow! I must say that this thread is progressing nicely! To hear that the H6's bass is superior to that of the LCD-2 @WoodyLuvr is pretty cool. My LCD-X's handily out perform the H6 in every aspect except comfort imho hands down. I also own the AKG K267 and the Focal Spirit Pro's(FSP) and those 2 cans are definitely competitive with the H6's besting them in some areas and losing in others. The FSP's are really linear to my ears and have a delicate treble presence that has a slight roll off but never fatigues whereas the K267 has the ideal treble presence for me but doesn't have that uber deep sub-bass that the H6 has when amped correctly.
My Phiaton MS500's have too much elevation in the presence region and sound almost splashy compared to the H6's. I think for a closed can the H6's are just awesome and hold there own against even some open cans. I think I will compare them at some point to my AKG K712s hmmm.
I think the open feel varies with headahape. For me they were always closed in. They sounded little beyter when i keep them loosw on my head, where bass lacks. They were no open competition ro my previous akg k551. To me they sounded open for a closed headphone not these

Apr 25, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #1,693 of 2,875

Yeah, reject WoodLuvr's experiences, because we all hear different things. But I'm pretty confident that my LCD-2f out perform my H6s also in every way except comfort from my experience using both daily.

Keep in mind, the H6s are not bass monsters, but like the saying goes, "It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it."

For closed cans, they have excellent sound stage (better than most closed cans, and better than many open headphones in their range). And they have absolutely incredible imaging. My LCD-2f still has better imaging, but I would say the H6 are 70-80% of the way there with this. This is also the case when it comes to clarity (except the H6s mids are not as forward so guitars are not as detailed. Vocals, Treble, and bass are.)

The H6s can reach headphone vibrating levels of bass (not too much, but you can feel it), but they only apply it where necessary. These are not headphones for people who feel that bass should ALWAYS be present in their music. Those people will likely consider the H6s lacking in the bass department (especially with the Gen 1s). My LCD-2f bass is ridiculous, in a positive way (I still have to explain my slang lol). The LCD-2 bass is Mike Tyson like punchy, it reaches down under the soles of your feet, and still manages to not bleed into the other frequencies. The reason I explain this is because if you read my review from before, you'll see I enjoy the H6 bass just as much, but for different reasons. They are two different beasts for two different purposes. You got the Knife (H6), multipurpose tool that is good at many things and is IMO irreplaceable in it's domain (The kitchen maybe?). And you have the Hammer (LCD series), monsters that are irreplaceable in their own domain (The workshop?)

Either way, the H6s are awesome headphones and they are very underappreciated in their price range. I think they can compete with many headphones worth twice as much. That's pretty awesome if you factor in how small, light, comfortable, and sexy they are.

Apr 25, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #1,695 of 2,875
I think I will compare them at some point to my AKG K712s hmmm.

My K7XX (modded) are more detailed, clear and airy (being open).

But H6 Gen2 are coming very close, I was actually surprised that closed cans can sound that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back