Bands You Missed Live, But Wished You'd Seen
Jul 14, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #31 of 47
Are you really old enough to have "missed" Glen Miller and the likes?

Technically, I could have listed Jimi Hendrix, but since he died when I was ten, and I didn't know who he was until I was much older I didn't think I'd really "missed" him.

I don't think you can "miss" a band that last performed before you were born.

It would be a shame if this thread just became another list of "greatest artists".

biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #33 of 47
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
The Who
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
Cream
Buddy Holly
Elvis
Albert King
Grateful Dead
Miles Davis
Stan Getz
Charlie Parker
Louis Armstrong
Led Zeppelin
Paul Desmond
Bob Dylan and The Band
Ella Fitzgerald
Billie Holliday
John Coletrane
The Wailers
The Sonics
10 years after
Dire Straits
Booker T. and the MGs
Del Shannon
The Beau Brummels
The Astronauts
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Hendrix
Canned Heat
John Lee Hooker
Robert Johnson
Otis Redding
Ray Charles
The Viscounts
Fred Neil
Dizzy Gillespie
Duke Ellington
Dean Martin
Glenn Miller
Benny Goodman\
Creedence Clearwater Revival (original form)

I gotta stop now...I'm getting depressed! Most of the music that I like is by people who are either dead or people who won't get back together with their original groups...

Jul 15, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @
Did the Beatles play very many shows, after their early period? I'd kind of thought they sort of had to almost go into hiding or something. Not being up on these things I could be very wrong.

The last concert the Beatles played was on August 29, 1966 at Candlestick Park in San Francisco. Funny thing is that "The Stick" could accomodate around 42,000 (at the time) but only around 25,000 attended the show. The concert lasted around 30 minutes. According to the website Photos of Unique Beatles Rarities The Beatles played over 1400 shows from their beginning until the final concert at The Stick. From then on it was the studio only until they disbanded.

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
The Beatles played over 1400 shows from their beginning until the final concert at The Stick. From then on it was the studio only until they disbanded.

Just my guess because I'm not a Beatles freak and thus I don't really know, but I suspect a lot of this had to do with:

1) security risks*
2) crowd control issues,
3) no need for money,
4) competing demands on their time,
5) personal disharmonies among the Fab 4.

* Afterall, JFK did get shot in late '63 and from the mid-60's on, things were starting to get pretty wierd.

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #36 of 47
The Smiths. I had tickets and Morrissey got a sniffle and they cancelled the show. They didn't make the show up and of course the band broke up before I had another chance. A big regret of my youth.

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by periurban
I don't think you can "miss" a band that last performed before you were born.

It would be a shame if this thread just became another list of "greatest artists".

biggrin.gif

I'm not trying to be argumentitive at all here, but thought I'd make a point that might be worth considering because when I read your post, I thought, "Dang, he's got a point there!" But then I thought, no wait...

What you've said is true, but music has a way of touching people's lives such that they feel an identity with certain artists, either because of the lyrical style, the structure of the melodies, the mystique about the performers themselves, whatever.

If I were asked which sports figures I wished I hadn't "missed", I wouldn't have even thought to list Pele, Wilt Chamberlain, or the Muhammad Ali, even though all of them lived and performed during my lifetime. Let alone Babe Ruth or Jesse Owens, who were obviously way before my time, and indeed before my birth. But as exciting as sports can be, the events themselves come and go. Oh sure, you can watch the 1988 NCAA college basketball National Championship over and over (like some of us who were graduate students at The University of Kansas at the time have done). But on the whole, sports pretty much come and go.

Music has a more eternal quality. People are still "discovering" Beethovan for the first time (even though it is not Beethoven himself that they are hearing, as some young people don't quite grasp at times). In any case, anyone who might think of listing composers who've been dead for centuries in this thread would obviously be doing so just for effect. As if to say, "Beethoven... that's the guy I really wish I could have lived to see" (in a time warp kind of way, borrowed from Hollywood).

But I really do wish I could have seen Elvis, The Beatles, and The Doors, although realistically I was just a young child in the 60's. I feel like I "know" Elvis and Jim Morrison, well not really... but there is a sense of identity that music brings, unlike anything else.

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:55 AM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by -ries
Billy Holiday
Amalia Rodriguez
Nina Simone
WoodStock 1 ....all of em
Dead Kennedys
Miles Davis
Frank Zappa
The Beatles
Dave Brubeck
John Cage
Robert Johnson
Van Halen
Public Enemy
David Oistrakh
Thelonias Monk
NWA
Patsy Cline
Mahalia Jackson
Edith Piaf
Duke Ellington(w/whoever,whenever)
Any Old school Newport Jazz fest.
Ravi Shankar
Bobby Mcferrin
Willie "The Lion" Smith
Smokey Robinson
Roberta Flack
Nick Drake
Rachmaninov
Mercedes Sosa
Velvet Underground W/Nico
Bob Marley/Wailers
Richie Havens
Marvin Gaye
Glen Miller
Lee Scratch Perry "the Doc"
Tito Schipa
the Kinks
Boogie Down Productions
Jethro Tull
Elvis Presley
Doris Day
Invisible Scratch Pickles
Klaus Nomi
Uhmmmm I've just gotta stop. and everytihinglisted in previous posts

Tough Chin!

My bad periurban. But I sincerely "wish" to have experienced performances by the artist listed above and much much more. My greatest artists list is a little more conservative....well....okay, maybe not.

Has anybody ever been to a Pink Floyd Lazer Light show? It's not the same as the last 46 tractor trailer rig count for the production of the "Grass is Greener" tour. But good times none the less.

Peace

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Just my guess because I'm not a Beatles freak and thus I don't really know, but I suspect a lot of this had to do with:

1) security risks*
2) crowd control issues,
3) no need for money,
4) competing demands on their time,
5) personal disharmonies among the Fab 4.

* Afterall, JFK did get shot in late '63 and from the mid-60's on, things were starting to get pretty wierd.

My guess is that they were becoming more and more involved in the production of their recordings and that is where they were the most creative. Touring was old and they were burnt out on playing their "hits" to a bunch of screaming maniacs who didn't come to listen to the music.

Jul 15, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #41 of 47
Cocteau Twins
Durutti Column ( I know he's still going but I have no chance of seeing him here in sunny ol' Rochester )
Talking Heads.
Madness ( ditto as for the Durutti Column )

Nac...

Jul 15, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I'm not trying to be argumentitive at all here, but thought I'd make a point that might be worth considering because when I read your post, I thought, "Dang, he's got a point there!" But then I thought, no wait...

What you've said is true, but music has a way of touching people's lives such that they feel an identity with certain artists, either because of the lyrical style, the structure of the melodies, the mystique about the performers themselves, whatever.

If I were asked which sports figures I wished I hadn't "missed", I wouldn't have even thought to list Pele, Wilt Chamberlain, or the Muhammad Ali, even though all of them lived and performed during my lifetime. Let alone Babe Ruth or Jesse Owens, who were obviously way before my time, and indeed before my birth. But as exciting as sports can be, the events themselves come and go. Oh sure, you can watch the 1988 NCAA college basketball National Championship over and over (like some of us who were graduate students at The University of Kansas at the time have done). But on the whole, sports pretty much come and go.

Music has a more eternal quality. People are still "discovering" Beethovan for the first time (even though it is not Beethoven himself that they are hearing, as some young people don't quite grasp at times). In any case, anyone who might think of listing composers who've been dead for centuries in this thread would obviously be doing so just for effect. As if to say, "Beethoven... that's the guy I really wish I could have lived to see" (in a time warp kind of way, borrowed from Hollywood).

But I really do wish I could have seen Elvis, The Beatles, and The Doors, although realistically I was just a young child in the 60's. I feel like I "know" Elvis and Jim Morrison, well not really... but there is a sense of identity that music brings, unlike anything else.

Fair enough. If you really feel for an artist then list them. There aren't any real rules here (what'd be the point?) It's all just for fun!

The thing about those timeless artists you mentiion is that at the time when you might have seen them you would never have known that they were going to be legends. There are many, many artists who were huge in their day who have been forgotten now for one reason or another. Who can tell at the time which artists will be immortalised, and which will suffer the ignominy of obscurity? In my country T Rex, Slade and Wizzard were every bit as big as Elvis!

Myself, I thought Can were destined to be a household name once everyone plugged into what they were doing. 'Twasn't to be...... and I still miss them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back