Bands with best live sound?
Feb 4, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #31 of 49
Steely Dan is an awesome concert.
Eagles - sound awesome live and do a great concert
Pink Floyd - great sound and great visuals
Roger Waters - see above note for Floyd

I got to see Roger Waters in Phoenix many years back right after the Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking and then saw Pink Floyd outdoors a few months later. Both were very good!

Tom Petty was also very good
Jackson Browne
Bob Seger
REO Speedwagon
James Taylor

All above average!

There were a lot of concerts that I left wondering how they ever managed to sound good even in the studio. They sound horrible and lacked talent. Maybe they were all milli vannilli...

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #32 of 49
Stereolab at a small venue in Detroit (The Majestic) blew my mind with an extremely clear and powerful sound. Stereolab is surprisingly rockin live.

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stereolab at a small venue in Detroit (The Majestic) blew my mind with an extremely clear and powerful sound. Stereolab is surprisingly rockin live.

lol. The Majestic is across the street from me! Did have any pizza from Srgt. Pepperoni?

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

QFT... Stereolab (RIP) used to put on really loud, high-energy, loud shows... definitely a different experience from their albums, which is a good thing.

did i mention that they play exceedingly loud?

a couple of concerts that had abnormally good sound quality (for a rock show) were Tom Waits at the Beacon Theater when he was touring for Mule Variations, and Zappa Plays Zappa's first tour, also at the Beacon. I guess I like the Beacon.

and the Metropolitan Opera has quite phenomenal sound quality, too.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #37 of 49
I agree with the votes for NIN. I've seen them about 4 times and they sound better every time.

I also dig this band, Intronaut. They have a lot going on and every note came out so clear...awesome live band.

I also think that Adam Jones from Tool has the BEST live guitar tone ever.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #38 of 49
I think Steve Vai was pretty great live, but Sevendust was amazing.

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #39 of 49
Has anyone seen The Shins live? I've heard so many great things from friends, especially about their keyboardist, that I have wondered if a casual fan like myself would be rewarded to see them live sometime.. not to hijack the thread!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a couple of concerts that had abnormally good sound quality (for a rock show) were Tom Waits at the Beacon Theater when he was touring for Mule Variations, and Zappa Plays Zappa's first tour, also at the Beacon. I guess I like the Beacon.

Tom Waits is great live.. when he actually tours.. if you can get a hold of tickets...

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by keithdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tom Waits is great live.. when he actually tours.. if you can get a hold of tickets...

yeah... the show i went to, Keith Richards was sitting behind me, and about five minutes before it started... the entire house gave Elvis Costello a standing ovation just for walking in and taking his seat.

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #42 of 49
One of the best live sound mixes I can remember is Mutemath. Everything was simply perfect.

Opeth also had an incredible sound mix when I saw them, but that was several years ago.

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree about Stereolab, but disagree on Tool. The times I saw them they sounded good (for a stadium venue).

Weird, I thought it was a known problem that their sound mixer sucks. It wasn't too loud? It was needlessly loud when I saw them, after the first couple of songs they turned to mud due to how loud they were. And because the guitar had so much bass in it, the bass and guitar just kind of melted into one big mushy mess. I guess it depends on the venue?

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QFT... Stereolab (RIP)

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Don't say RIP! They are just taking a break!!
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back