baldur mk3 cable with westone 4R
Oct 6, 2013 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mrlawrence74

Head-Fier
Hi,

I read more and more things about upgrade to this kind of cable, is there a real improvement ? Does anybody really  know what does it sound like ? Is these cable worth the cost ? 

Thank's for your answers.

Oct 6, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 17
There are some who say it is all placebo effect but for me a pure OCC silver cable made a material improvement in the sound. It tightens up the sound from treble to the bass and adds greater clarity. The OCC copper or hybrid is less expensive if you do not want to spend $200 for pure silver.

I would suggest Headphone Lounge cables. Ted Allen makes some of the best cables at very competitive prices. Also, his turn around time is really fast. There is an appreciation thread for Headphone Lounge if you are interested.

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 17
  Hi,

I read more and more things about upgrade to this kind of cable, is there a real improvement ? Does anybody really  know what does it sound like ? Is these cable worth the cost ? 

Thank's for your answers.

personally i have used this cable, and was not fond of it,  i didnt feel like it yeilded sound quality improvements for the price it cost. there are other people like headphonelounge ted's_headfood or BTG_audio that make cables much better in quality and sound than that of the baldur mk2/3

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 17
  Thank you for your advice, I'll look a these cables. But is there a particular cable that you can advise me ?

well a few things you need to take into consideration,

Price, how much are you wanting to spend? 

Materials, do you want a Copper cable, silver plated copper cable,Pure silver cable, or Pure Silver With Gold.

Termination, do you want a viablue plug, oyiade Plug, Kobbiconn balanced,xlr balanced ect or just you regular 3.5mm plug

personally i like boutique cables from makers like Ted's headfood,toxic cables,whiplash, ect. 

boutique cable makers give you a little more custom options for your needs and money. for instance, sleeving, custom plugs, custom braiding, ect ect ect.

those are just a few things to take into consideration.

i cant really advise you on what cable might be good for you, i dont know if you are using a amp or dac, or what other interconnects or daps you are using.

i personally like Pure silver and gold Silver Poison from toxic cable, problem is, the wait is LONG and NOT cheap.

you may not like silver though, each material gives you a different sound, copper being a more dynamic sound, silver plated copper giving you a little brightness from the silver, but still retaining the coipper dynamic, the pure silver is a brighter sound, more sterile sound but it also depends on your other equipment. pure silver and gold gives you a kind of refinement of the pure silver, imo cleaning the sound up more.

so much to take into consideration lol

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 17
My opinion is the pure silver OCC from Headphone Lounge. The gauge is bigger than toxic cables making it softer and easier to handle. To me the silver does not make it brighter it just makes it more detailed which some interpret as brightness.

Also, adding gold to a silver cable has to be one of reasons upmarket cables get a bad reputation. It is a marketing gimmick by certain cable makers. The conductivity of gold is awful compared to silver or copper. You might as well add aluminum as the resistivity and conductivity is similar to gold.

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 17
My opinion is the pure silver OCC from Headphone Lounge. The gauge is bigger than toxic cables making it softer and easier to handle. To me the silver does not make it brighter it just makes it more detailed which some interpret as brightness.

Also, adding gold to a silver cable has to be one of reasons upmarket cables get a bad reputation. It is a marketing gimmick by certain cable makers. The conductivity of gold is awful compared to silver or copper. You might as well add aluminum as the resistivity and conductivity is similar to gold.

i agree. but i also think that there is kind of a play on here, between the silver and gold. pure silver to me sounds a bit analytical or bright, the Gold seems to refine the Analytical aspect of the silver some In my opinion. i have never bought a cable because it has had gold in it, im not like ow ow gold MUST be better.

ive paired all my cables together so my adapters,interconnects and iem cables are all toxic silver poison, even with all being silver and gold, i still feel like it doesnt detract from the brightness or detail of the sound maybe the gold gives a little more refinement to the silver aspect of the cable.

i do agree that silver and gold  and emphasize on the gold part, might be a big gimmick, to say you have a silver and GOLD cable. but im also looking at it on a level of how does pure silver VS silver and gold compare to eachother.

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 17
Yes, I agree, there is a lot of things to think to take into consideration  
blink.gif

I use a fiio X3 (warm sound) , and listen to a lot of diversity : Classical, alternative, Dubstep, pop, jazz ... 
I really care about the soundstage and the clarity of my earphones, and I love real textured and deep bass. 
That's all my expectation about the sound. 

I can spend beetween 0 - 150 (around) $ but If I spend 150$ I hope my cable would really improve my earphones. 

Thank you again for your many tips  :)

_and sorry for my english, I am trying to learn it :D_

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 17
One word of caution is as Mooses stated people have posted waiting more than 6 or 7 months for their cables. Yet another reason I would contact Heaphine Lounge.

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 17

One word of caution is as Mooses stated people have posted waiting more than 6 or 7 months for their cables. Yet another reason I would contact Heaphine Lounge.

yeah, thats just too long of a wait for me. i was able to pick my westone cable up off here already made and it was only post wait time. then i contacted toxic about a mini to mini and my luck he already had one made, soagain just post wait, since then i have turn my mini to mini into a rsa male to ibasso male interconnect, then i am turning my usb to lod into a ibasso balanced, basicly anything toxic silver poison i have that served one purpose, i went ahead and had ted make it into something else i could use so i could keep everything paired the same. im not keen on a wait 6 or 7 months long lol
  Yes, I agree, there is a lot of things to think to take into consideration  
blink.gif

I use a fiio X3 (warm sound) , and listen to a lot of diversity : Classical, alternative, Dubstep, pop, jazz ... 
I really care about the soundstage and the clarity of my earphones, and I love real textured and deep bass. 
That's all my expectation about the sound. 

I can spend beetween 0 - 150 (around) $ but If I spend 150$ I hope my cable would really improve my earphones. 

Thank you again for your many tips  :)

_and sorry for my en

i would contact headphonelounge or Ted's Headfood on here he can make you a excellent cable, and he will work with what you are looking to go for.

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #12 of 17
Lawrence,

So which cable that you end up with ?
Please share your experience here :)

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #15 of 17
  I finished with a BTG Audio Sunrise CIEM Cable, I am also very pleased about the built quality and the customer service. I do not perceive any improvement in the sound provided by my W4, but I still satisfied nonetheless.

Brians cable quality is very very very good. i loved my sunrise cable when i had it. so nice. love brians customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back