Balancing Act Tube Rolling
Nov 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #47 of 471
Nov 12, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #48 of 471

Quote:
If I were you, I would drop that idea and start to try something that easier to get. Dont get me wrong, but there are many options that may fill your needs for much less than that.

Quote:
This may be a new record for a Western Electric 300b.. Now that I want one, they seem to have gone up in price. http://www.allegrosound.com/WE300B_AllegroSound.html

First,, these are re-issue what is the matter with these people..http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250722466678&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Second what other options are you thinking of 300b clones?

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #49 of 471
I do not think that something wrong with people who want buy something that by many found to be the best ever, but there is, as always, the other side of the moon. How many times you read about that their mids are to die for, but the rest are nothing special. I have searched the whole internet and do see what some done, they sold their WE for big buck, bought some alternatives and very happy with it. I cant say I am in the same boat, because never tried WE, not original or re-issue, so, this is totally uknown territory for me, but maybe, just maybe, you miss the point up here, thing is, you can be very surprised how good the clones can sound and for 1/4 to 1/6 of the WE costs only, so, why not try first. And, to call them all clones, hmmm, dont think it would be correct.
Check EML, KR, AVVT ( not in production ), TJ or Sophia's and the feedbacks of the folks who bought them and you will see for yourself. I didnt mention EAT, but only because they are very expensive, however not sure if they are that much more, other than that, sure they are worth to try as well.

I would start with KR, EML and Sophia's maybe, get all of them at the same time ( if the funds are not the problem ), roll and keep the one you like at most or keep them all. I would never sold my Sophias mesh if the money were not an issue, but thats not a drama, cos I always can get them again, but the most important, I know how they sound like.

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #50 of 471
Mark,
Try the EAT 300B with a ECC32 drier, the mids and detail are not bad at all.
And you pay a lot less for this wonderful combo than a set of WE300B reissues costing $3950 or $4950.
You can get a pair of re issues for about $1000-$1200.
I had the opportunity to try a pair of AVVT AV300BM SL D. Ennemoser patent and they were excellent.
Unfortunately one tube is crackling and that's a shame.
I don't own or have listened to WE300Bs so my comments are very subjective.

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #52 of 471
I have tried 6SN7, ECC32, ECC33 and B65.
B65 and 6SN7 are equivalent.
ECC33 is very similar to 6SN7.
ECC32 is not a drop in replacement for the 6SN7 bur the BA can handle it.

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #54 of 471
I have but they are not as nice sounding as the KR PX4.
Don't forget how important the driver is.

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #55 of 471
Is the kr px4 discontinued? I can't seem to find where it's still available.

I have the following 6sn7s:
Brimar cv1988
Ken-rad vt231
RCA vt-231
Sylvania 6sn7gtb
Sylvania 6sn7wgt
RCA 5692
Shuguang treasure

Currently trying out the brimar. HAven't had much time to tube roll yet. Is the tung-sol round plate really that good? Has anyone tried the Mullard ecc32?

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #56 of 471
The KR PX4 is available for sale.
I have tried two versions of the ECC32 they are good and so is the TS 6SN7GT BGRP.
I would try the Tungsol next.

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #57 of 471
So I bought a pair of TJ full music mesh plate 300b (should be the same as the Sophia mesh plate 300b) over the weekend and I was lucky enough to find a single mullard ecc32 for a fair price.

About the ecc32: I can understand why so many people love this tube. The mids are incredible. However, for my taste in music, the bass is too loose and possibly rolled off. I prefer the Brimar cv1988 more (althought, of course the mids are not as nice).

I'm now trying the ken-rad vt-231 with the full music 300b to see how it goes -- I thought it was too bassy with the JJ 300b. More details to come. 

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #58 of 471
Jonathan,  you might want to try the Tungsol 6SN7 Mouse ears.

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #59 of 471
This may clear up some confusion, which I also have had, so, I sent an mail to Sophia and got this article from them.

added: I see that this link dont work, let see what I can do. 

Quote:
So I bought a pair of TJ full music mesh plate 300b (should be the same as the Sophia mesh plate 300b) over the weekend and I was lucky enough to find a single mullard ecc32 for a fair price.

About the ecc32: I can understand why so many people love this tube. The mids are incredible. However, for my taste in music, the bass is too loose and possibly rolled off. I prefer the Brimar cv1988 more (althought, of course the mids are not as nice).

I'm now trying the ken-rad vt-231 with the full music 300b to see how it goes -- I thought it was too bassy with the JJ 300b. More details to come. 

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #60 of 471
Here it is, article, as I have understand, that been wrote by Galen Carol

[size=medium]Sophia Electric Mesh Plate 300B Tubes [/size]
[size=small][size=small]There is a fair amount of confusion surrounding the popular Mesh Plate 300B tube. Some background is in order to clear the air. The story goes like this. [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]In 1999, with funding from a Taiwanese businessman, the Allmusic Company was formed to develop a unique 300B. Designed by a retired Chinese engineer (Mr. Z. Liu), the Allmusic tubes were manufactured in a factory located in Tian Jin, China. Though a robust design in theory, the early incarnation of the 300B proved problematic. Tubes were failing at a high rate and sales fell, resulting in a collapse of the venture. [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]Enter Sophia Electric. Sophia Electric’s Richard Wugang recognized the promise of Mr. Liu’s design and in 2001 the two established a relationship intent on making the unique tube a success. Now, backed by the significant technical expertise and resources of Sophia Electric, reliability issues and performance optimization could be addressed. To make the venture viable for both companies, Sophia Electric arranged to purchase 100% of the tubes that met their rigorous specifications. [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]In the beginning, Richard Wugang considered both the ST shape glass envelope and the globe style tubes. Sophia Electric opted for a unique globe style envelope for their 300B mesh plate design to distinguish their tube from the rigid plate designs offered other Chinese and Russian manufacturers which used the ST shaped glass. Tests of these less advanced designs revealed the small dimensions of the envelope sacrificed sonic performance, especially soundstage. [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]Word of the new tube spread like wildfire across the internet and by June of 2001 the 300B mesh plate tube was recognized as something special (one review tested it against other 300b tubes, including the venerable Western Electric, proclaiming the mesh plate tube the overall winner). It was during this initial rush of popularity that the tube became known as the TJ Mesh Plate 300B. Rather than a brand name, "TJ" was simply an abbreviation for the city in China (Tian Jin) where the tubes were made. [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]In August of 2001, one of the (many) dealers selling the Mesh Plate 300B tubes registered "TJ" as his trademark. Though not involved with the design or manufacture of the tube, the dealer became quickly associated with the tube, with many assuming the TJ tubes they supplied were made by the owner of the trademark, which was not the case. [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]All tubes are not created equal, and just like any complex hand made product, tube to tube performance will vary. Through the initial agreement with Mr. Liu, Sophia Electric had the rights to select the very best tubes for their own clients. Thus the cream of the crop are chosen and sent to Sophia Electric in the US for further testing and grading before a 30 hour burn in. These steps insure the tubes offered by Sophia Electric are the best sounding and most reliable 300B Mesh Plate tubes available. Indeed, the tubes are so well inspected, graded and tested that Sophia is able to offer a full one year warranty. [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]As good as the Globe style tubes are, further research and development by Sophia Electric has produced a new tube that is even better. The latest generation of the Mesh Plate 300B from Sophia Electric is the Princess 300B. [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]Sophia Electric discovered that the shape of the glass envelope, the size and the type of glass used, dramatically impact performance. Over twenty different shapes were [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]evaluated before settling on the new form. Those changes, in addition to refinements in the plate structure, have led to a significant increase in performance over the previous globe style tubes. The Princess offers considerable improvements in resolution, midrange timbre and air. Distortion has been lowered with improved bandwidth linearity, resulting in a sweeter more open top end. [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]A whole new set of quality controls have been put into place, along with even more stringent testing, insures that the performance of each and every Princess 300B sold meets the demanding standards of Sophia Electric, insuring you receive the very highest quality product. [/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small]It’s important to note that the Mesh Plate 300B Princess tube is proprietary product of Sophia Electric and exclusively available through Sophia Electric and their select Authorized Retailers. [/size][/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back