Balanced VS Electrostatic-Which do you prefer
Sep 14, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGhostWhoWalks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I've only heard the original Orpheus system, all I can say is that I prefer my headphone/amp setup to it. Of course, it's difficult to say having not compared them side-by-side in the same rig, but I've always preferred the R10s to the HE90s, and combine them with a tuned and maxed out SDS-XLR and I can't imagine anything beating it...

I should have a chance to conduct such experiments soon!

My SDS-XLR and ES-1 are on the way to Cayman. I still need to get my R10's recabled for balanced use, but I'll have balanced Qualia 010 and GS1000 on hand to get used to the SDS-XLR sound. Meanwhile, I'll be able to compare the HE90, O2 and 4070 on the ES-1, HEV90 and Egmont Signature amps. It should be fun.

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #47 of 54
I've compared my HEV90 and ES-2 side by side heavily. I wouldn't put the HE90/HEV90 (Orpheus) setup in my top rig's to die for category simply because it is true - a good balanced setup can beat this. It doesn't have enough of the electrostat qualities - lightening speed, transparency, effortless presentation, wide staging, realism, etc... that the HE90 is capable of, and achieves via my ES-2 - in addition to added texture and bass weight, which pulls it over the edge in terms of balanced dynamics - which are good at this, but can lack in the previous categories.

Neil

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #48 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've compared my HEV90 and ES-2 side by side heavily. I wouldn't put the HE90/HEV90 (Orpheus) setup in my top rig's to die for category simply because it is true - a good balanced setup can beat this. It doesn't have enough of the electrostat qualities - lightening speed, transparency, effortless presentation, wide staging, realism, etc... that the HE90 is capable of, and achieves via my ES-2 - in addition to added texture and bass weight, which pulls it over the edge in terms of balanced dynamics - which are good at this, but can lack in the previous categories.

Neil

Well Neil, you are really going to have to listen to my SDS-XLR/balanced R10 combo before any final judgments are made
wink.gif
. It has a lot of those qualities you listed, maybe, dare I say, even a bit more than the ES-2/HE90. The ES-2/HE90 does have more bass, i will give you that
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #50 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's a good solid state amp to go with balanced HD650 ?

sky's the limit. What's the budget?

EDIT: That said, a balanced β22 would do nicely.

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #52 of 54
Hi Folks;

This thread is finally about to mention specifics. I'd like to ask my "what if"

Given a 4k budget..basically whatever the current stax 007/ss or tube amp combo costs...what balanced ss dynamic system competes?

The source is already balanced (840c) and not in the equation.

I already own a HD580 (prefered to the 650, and with a balanced cable), and have a single ended Markl modded d5000. I'm willing to have them modded for the dynamic side to compete.

That said, what dynamic balanced 4k system would you compare against the same price stax? I'm guessing Apache or beta 22 or GSX..Rudi perhaps...and I'm willing to buy/mod a JVC 1k if convinced. I think I have the other 2 contenders. Note buying a L3000/R10/AKG 1000 puts me over 4k...(convince me that I need the akg..please..no..PLEASE...so tempted)

My sound preferences? I want to hear exactly what the recording engineer heard in the final mix, assuming he/she wore phones. I know, I've been told before here, can't be done. So lets go with tonal accuracy first, then balance between low/mid/ high, then a big soundstage. I don't want the phones to "wow" me. That was the artist's job. Accuracy please.

Enough of my rambling...given the basic stax (roughly) 4k 007/ss/tube amp system..what dynamic balanced ss systems compete?

Note I might mean O2 vrs 007..my stax nomenclature isnt good. If I've erred there, please have someone edit...I mean the Omega's.

Thanks;

Bazile

Sep 15, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #53 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No budget in mind at this stage. Perhaps something value for money is a good start. Where can I get a B22 built ?

Try Rockhopper Audio.

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #54 of 54
I'm unsure as I have only heard one stat can. But what I can say for sure is that I have not heard a better headphone than the HE60 and this with with the HEV70.

I am honestly thinking about getting rid of my dynamic rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back