Balanced VS Electrostatic-Which do you prefer
Jul 12, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're not aquainted had you perhaps not ought to read up on at least the very basics before trying to get spoon feeding out of the high end forum where you will be, as you have just said, out of your depth?

my thread was not intended to be in the high end forum. also, i am not asking for explanations, i asked for opinions. i just thought it may be an interesting topic. To me, it seemed that for true "top quality" listening, the two main contenders were balanced and electrostatic. I just thought which people liked more and why. If i wanted an explanation, google is there, and if i wanted suggestions, i would have asked. so please, at least read before insulting me. often my threads lead to me being insulted, mainly due to me being misunderstood. and more often than that, it is because people don't read. if you dont have any opinions then fine, at least don't insult me.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #17 of 54
I agree with catscratch; different animals. I loved my balanced setup, especially with the 650. That phone just scales and scales. The HR balanced desktop made for a really fun listening experience. But I will say that I felt like I could still hear the equipment, amp, phnes, etc. Not in a bad way, just that it was there.

My Stax stuff, on the other hand, disappears more than any other rigs I have had. Not that it isn't colored or that there are no flaws, simply that stax equipment hits a sweet spot for me when listening such that I keep the phones on my head for hours without meaning to. Listening to stuff I haven't desired to in years.

To me, it's not a question of which is better. Who knows. The more important question is which rig will reignite your relationship with your music collection.

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #18 of 54
Monkey, that was a really a great and helpful analysis and description. I've never really been able to nail exactly what I was looking to get "past" in my HR balanced rig. As you said it's both fun but...something does get in the way and I am looking to have the gear itself melt away and "dissapear" so I can "reignite my relationship with my music..." That's exactly it. So...I'm either going to get Justin's BHSE w/Stax Omega MKIIs and go electrostatic (I've not heard "modern" gear.) or go to the far reaches of the dynamic world and get Pete Millet's new TTVJ 307A. Then again, they call it the "Monster" so how can I expect it to melt away and dissapear? Oh, by the way, did you sell your HR balanced? Still a great amp/dac. I may just keep mine. Dunno?

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #19 of 54
We need to remember that most of the threads that are in here, were moved here by jude to try to populate this forum with appropriate threads.

The only stat cans that I would want to own, outside the HE90 would be the HE Audio stats. Short of that, a nice balanced B22 or perhaps a GSX (haven't heard one in a while) with 650s would be my choice. Probably the best balanced amp I've spent any time with would be the SDS-XLR. I don't believe I've heard a stat rig that I would prefer. I will readily admit that I've spent less time with stats at meets so there may be some out there I would prefer. The balanced 650 sounds great to me in pretty much every balanced amp I've heard.

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We need to remember that most of the threads that are in here, were moved here by jude to try to populate this forum with appropriate threads.

The only stat cans that I would want to own, outside the HE90 would be the HE Audio stats. Short of that, a nice balanced B22 or perhaps a GSX (haven't heard one in a while) with 650s would be my choice. Probably the best balanced amp I've spent any time with would be the SDS-XLR. I don't believe I've heard a stat rig that I would prefer. I will readily admit that I've spent less time with stats at meets so there may be some out there I would prefer. The balanced 650 sounds great to me in pretty much every balanced amp I've heard.

Yea, pretty much. In a perfect world, I'd have a balanced HD650 rig AND a nice electrostat rig.

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #21 of 54
How large is the market for electrostatic amps given the limited headphones? I recently heard someone buying a pair of HE90s for $9K and they thought they got a deal as someone followed their purchased with a WTB for $10K.

With a good balance set of cans with upgraded cable in the $600 to $700 range, I struggle with the size of the electrostatic market. However, with all that said, I haven't really heard the recent electrostatic amps and headphones.
confused.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #22 of 54
^^ the HE90 is a unique headphone. it is very much sought after and has a legendary (holy grail-type) reputation, which of course accounts for its price. but a good (or very good) electrostatic setup is very attainable. an O2 or HE60 (both top electrostatic headphones, imo) paired with a KGSS or Woo GES, while not cheap, is also not terribly expensive - esp. when compared to an HE90 setup.

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HE90 for 9k? thats a steal considering that they were on for lik 35k in audiogon a few weeks ago. there is a thread here somewhere about it.

You probably mean $12k!?
Cause the listed price of $35K were for 2x HE90's and 1x HEV90...

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably mean $12k!?

That's the real figure.

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably mean $12k!?

yea, my bad. its the 35 that stuck in my head.

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #27 of 54
The title says it all: Reload this Page Balanced VS Electrostatic-Which do you prefer

I haven't heard either but I strongly think I would probably get something from both worlds.

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #28 of 54
The only headphones I have heard that give me complete and accurate insight into the minds of the musicians are electrostats. Balanced HD650 was highly enjoyable, but insight gained was minimal in comparison due to lack of details. Of course I can see why lots of people prefer balanced dynamics.

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #29 of 54
Just to make this forum a wee bit more price variable, I have built a balanced Millett Max amp with OPUS DAC for ~$600... and a baby balanced Millett Hybrid for about $200. Honestly, the Millett with DAC is more 'fun' than the Blue Hawaii / HE60, and we'll see how the new baby stacks up through the Azur 840c, with either 650 or 600.

All in a 5.5" x 8" package

So, balanced is not all about $$$.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to make this forum a wee bit more price variable, I have built a balanced Millett Max amp with OPUS DAC for ~$600... and a baby balanced Millett Hybrid for about $200. Honestly, the Millett with DAC is more 'fun' than the Blue Hawaii / HE60, and we'll see how the new baby stacks up through the Azur 840c, with either 650 or 600.

I would be very interested to hear your impressions on how this turns out. Balanced has piqued my curiosity for some time, but always remains just out of my budget reach.

I'd also be interested to see how the balanced HD600 and HD650 compare. I've always heard the 650 scales better, but few direct comparisons between the two when balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back