Balanced SS Amps to put in your shopping list
Nov 9, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #17 of 49
My B22 should be here next Monday. If your budget is $3k, I really don't think anything is better than B22.

060.jpg

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #19 of 49
Finally received the beta22 and listening it with HD800, it is a killer combo.  I slightly prefer my WA22 with HD800 but the WA22 (modded with right tubes) is doubled the cost of beta22.  One thing is make sure you have a very good source, this amp is not forgiving at all.  I can clearly tell the difference with DacMagic and PWD.

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #20 of 49
That is a lovely Beta22, very well built. Congrats! 
I preferred my EHHA with the HD800’s than the Beta22. The HD800’s just need a bit of tube loving.
Have you tried the LCD-2’s with the Beta22? I prefer that combo overall.

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #21 of 49
Yes, totally agreed that hd800 loves tubes.

listening to LCD-2 r2 with beta22 now.  It is a killer combo, better than m WA22.  I heard details that I have to look for it on WA22 and better 3D like soundstage.

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #23 of 49
B22 and dynahi are way better than the rest of that stuff in the OP.  I agree with john that the HD800 sounds best with tubes...even then I much prefer OTL amps for it.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #24 of 49
B22 and dynahi are way better than the rest of that stuff in the OP.  I agree with john that the HD800 sounds best with tubes...even then I much prefer OTL amps for it.

X2

If you have to have balanced, get a Beta22, Dynamid or Dynamight.

If you want to run the HD-800 nicely, consider something like the Zana Deux. The HD-800 is better with tubes.

As for balanced, it's mostly marketing silliness.

Do you need to drive a line over several hundred feet? Likely not. Do you have a significant problem with channel separation or line noise? Probably not, and a good single-ended amp won't have those problems. Do you need a lot of power? Bridging amps delivers more power, but it costs less to use a more powerful single-ended amp.

Those are the benefits to running balanced. Do you really need it?

Then again, "balanced" is a status symbol. Do you want to drop an extra four figures for that?

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #25 of 49
Quote:
My B22 should be here next Monday. If your budget is $3k, I really don't think anything is better than B22.

That's a beautiful build.  How much did it run you, if you don't mind my asking?  Did you build it yourself or commission it from someone (SWA?)?

The beta22 is the only SS amp I've liked more than my Headamp GS-1, though I only listened to it briefly.

I'd second all the tube recommendations.  My favorite aspect of the HD800 is the soundstage, and no SS design I've used is as good as a tube amp in terms of sheer expansiveness.  Go 300B or go home!

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #26 of 49

Quote:
Do you need to drive a line over several hundred feet? Likely not. Do you have a significant problem with channel separation or line noise? Probably not, and a good single-ended amp won't have those problems. Do you need a lot of power? Bridging amps delivers more power, but it costs less to use a more powerful single-ended amp.
Then again, "balanced" is a status symbol. Do you want to drop an extra four figures for that?

Off topic sorry...
There’s probably not a lot of sonic benefit I agree,
I do however feel that a fully differential approach from DAC chip to driver is an elegant approach, for me balanced is all about “potential”.
Piece of mind that an optimum has been implemented.  

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #27 of 49

Quote:
X2
If you have to have balanced, get a Beta22, Dynamid or Dynamight.
If you want to run the HD-800 nicely, consider something like the Zana Deux. The HD-800 is better with tubes.

well, with that B22 he can easily switch between unbalanced/balanced on the fly for comparisons.  maybe the BM DAC1 sounds better balanced, but there was a definite improvement.  i didn't want to hear a difference for some of the reasons you cited.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #29 of 49

Quote:
WA22 (modded with right tubes) is doubled the cost of beta22?
shouldn't wa22 be around $1900? ($2500 if maxxed)

Depends what kind of tubes you have and what mod is in the WA22.  I can tell you that a set of tubes can be more than half of WA22.

Quote:
That's a beautiful build.  How much did it run you, if you don't mind my asking?  Did you build it yourself or commission it from someone (SWA?)?

The beta22 is the only SS amp I've liked more than my Headamp GS-1, though I only listened to it briefly.

I'd second all the tube recommendations.  My favorite aspect of the HD800 is the soundstage, and no SS design I've used is as good as a tube amp in terms of sheer expansiveness.  Go 300B or go home!

Yes, Corey of SWA built it.  You can contact him on pricing.  I requested few upgrades.  Like Gold Point Stepped Attenuator and loop out.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #30 of 49

Quote:

well, with that B22 he can easily switch between unbalanced/balanced on the fly for comparisons.  maybe the BM DAC1 sounds better balanced, but there was a definite improvement.  i didn't want to hear a difference for some of the reasons you cited.

I hooked up both balanced and unbalanced from PWD, I did tried it both with volume matching as much as possible.  I do heard slightly more details on the balanced, it is noticeable to me but it has to be a quiet environment and with good source.  I also tried it on DacMagic at work before taking it home and I do not notice much or any at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back