Balanced SS Amps to put in your shopping list
Nov 16, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #31 of 49
A couple local audiophile friends upgraded from initial 2000 dollar system and up all the way to a 30,000 dollar system and in the process they may have spent more than 40,000 - 70,000 dollars switching from system to system (hi-fi system, not headphone system). With pre-amp / headphone amp, I would set maximum budget, let the system serve me at least a good 10 years. Until I strike lottery, or get really rich in between...

Quote:

Off topic sorry...
There’s probably not a lot of sonic benefit I agree,
I do however feel that a fully differential approach from DAC chip to driver is an elegant approach, for me balanced is all about “potential”.
Piece of mind that an optimum has been implemented.  

X2

Quote:

well, with that B22 he can easily switch between unbalanced/balanced on the fly for comparisons.  maybe the BM DAC1 sounds better balanced, but there was a definite improvement.  i didn't want to hear a difference for some of the reasons you cited.

X2 Would be fun to have 2 headphones running concurrent too, as long as it doesn't fry the lower impendence / higher sensitivity phone

Quote:
X2
If you have to have balanced, get a Beta22, Dynamid or Dynamight.
If you want to run the HD-800 nicely, consider something like the Zana Deux. The HD-800 is better with tubes.
As for balanced, it's mostly marketing silliness.
Do you need to drive a line over several hundred feet? Likely not. Do you have a significant problem with channel separation or line noise? Probably not, and a good single-ended amp won't have those problems. Do you need a lot of power? Bridging amps delivers more power, but it costs less to use a more powerful single-ended amp.
Those are the benefits to running balanced. Do you really need it?
Then again, "balanced" is a status symbol. Do you want to drop an extra four figures for that?

Thanks UE. Great advice as before. I would say answers are ''no'' to most of them, minus line noise, plus considering adding HE6 into my current collection, and extending the use of pre-amp for my future speaker setup. Yeah my friends whose own those crazy hi-fi systems are brain washing me everyday with their furutech interconnect and power cables, so far I am trying very hard resisting those things, but wouldn't mind going balanced. You'll get the picture :)

My current budget would allow me to consider balanced, Beta22 is over though. My friend just rejected my request to build Beta22 so I'm currently out of luck in Malaysia. In fact he just sold all his DIY parts and turned to commercial systems. Thinking over tubes now...

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #32 of 49

Quote:

Thanks UE. Great advice as before. I would say answer is no to all of them, minus line noise, plus considering adding HE6 into my current collection, and extending the use of pre-amp for my future speaker setup. Yeah my friends whose own those crazy hi-fi systems are brain washing me everyday with their furutech interconnect and power cables, so far I am trying very hard resisting those things, but wouldn't mind going balanced. You'll get the picture :)

My current budget would allow me to consider balanced, Beta22 is over though. My friend just rejected my request to build Beta22 so I'm currently out of luck in Malaysia. In fact he just sold all his DIY parts and turned to commercial units.

I have Furutech interconnect and Silver Dragon with Furutech connectors but not really sure it is much better or not.  I don't heard much differences on the cable.  On the power cable, I use the Cisco one from the enterprise level switches, it is thick and if it is good for Cisco and it should good for my system.

On commercials headphone amps, I have heard few $2000+ amp but nothing come close to beta22.

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #33 of 49

Quote:
Depends what kind of tubes you have and what mod is in the WA22.  I can tell you that a tubes can be more than half of WA22.

Yes, Corey of SWA built it.  You can contact him on pricing.  I requested few upgrades.  Like Gold Point Stepped Attenuator and loop out.

Thanks jc9394 for your information. I put SWA link in 1st post for Beta22 reference.

Wow looks like some good homework (and money) required on tubes too.

Quote:
I have Furutech interconnect and Silver Dragon with Furutech connectors but not really sure it is much better or not.  I don't heard much differences on the cable.  On the power cable, I use the Cisco one from the enterprise level switches, it is thick and if it is good for Cisco and it should good for my system.

On commercials headphone amps, I have heard few $2000+ amp but nothing come close to beta22.

Oh my friend is running on speakers, not headphones. He's setup is at insane level (30,000) that i would not be able to budget for with my current stage. This is probably still consider normal for a speaker system though... He used to DIY his DAC, pre-amp and amp, but now runs a complete commercial system.

On cable I would believe a reasonable priced good cable will reduce noise, noticeable improvement on sound, but I'm skeptical about the "heavens" that a $$$$$ cable brings :p

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #34 of 49

Quote:
Thanks jc9394 for your information. I put SWA link in 1st post for Beta22 reference.

Wow looks like some good homework (and money) required on tubes too.

Oh my friend is running on speakers, not headphones. He's setup is at insane level (30,000) that i would not be able to budget for with my current stage. This is probably still consider normal for a speaker system though... He used to DIY his DAC, pre-amp and amp, but now runs a complete commercial system.

On speaker rig, I do agree on going commercial.  I have a friend in CA, all his audio components is more than my house.  

Back to headphone amp, if you are looking for SS amp, there isn't much better out there than beta22.  I heard few version of beta22 during a meet and finally decided to get a balanced one myself.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #35 of 49
OneSec, you shuold really try your HD800 with tubes.  Yes, it is a pain to get the good/proper tubes to match the headphone but that is part of the fun.  Since you are in Asia, you should not have issues getting good NOS tubes.  My HD800 will be primary connect to WA22...and the LCD-2 will be beta22.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #37 of 49

Quote:
OneSec, you shuold really try your HD800 with tubes.  Yes, it is a pain to get the good/proper tubes to match the headphone but that is part of the fun.  Since you are in Asia, you should not have issues getting good NOS tubes.  My HD800 will be primary connect to WA22...and the LCD-2 will be beta22.

Urgh this is so tempting. But having something that weight 20kg built in US, and to ship to Malaysia (if I can find someone), possibly without the VAT (who wants to pay more
deadhorse.gif
), and after the rough custom handling, hopping it will run flawlessly upon first connect... Needs a couple miracles.
beerchug.gif

One question for HD800 on WA22 / Beta22 - Which is better for orchestra / chamber music? I'm after good instrument separation, accuracy,  analytical. Vocal is not my main interest. I'm always given the impression that tube is good for vocal, same as woodies, as such I wasn't very keen after the tubes since day 1. I might get a vocal phone to pair with my amp if necessary, but HD800 will be my main classical can for sure.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #38 of 49

Quote:
Urgh this is so tempting. But having something that weight 20kg built in US, and to ship to Malaysia (if I can find someone), possibly without the VAT (who wants to pay more
deadhorse.gif
), and hopping it will run flawlessly upon first connect... Needs a couple miracles.
beerchug.gif

One question for HD800 on WA22 / Beta22 - Which is better for orchestra / chamber music? I'm after good instrument separation, accuracy,  analytical. Vocal is not my main interest. I'm always given the impression that tube is good for vocal, same as woodies, as such I wasn't very keen after the tubes since day 1. I might get a vocal phone to pair with my amp if necessary, but HD800 will be my main classical can for sure.

beta22 for sure

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #39 of 49
i've received a couple of requests over the past 24 hrs via my website for B22 builds, and don't want to waste anybody's time, but i will not be taking orders on B22 builds until next spring/summer.  with my busy schedule i would rather focus on smaller builds.  i hope this isn't a breach of MOT rules to post this.

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #42 of 49

Quote:
Wow, I guess I'm lucky contacting you the right time.  I totally understand, it is a lot of work on this puppy.  

yes, but you waited patiently.  most people decline when i tell them the length of the waiting list or have bailed by the time it's their turn.  i have 2 builds on the burner right now with 2 on the back-burners and i'm working on my own DIY design as well.

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #43 of 49

Quote:
yes, but you waited patiently.  most people decline when i tell them the length of the waiting list or have bailed by the time it's their turn.  i have 2 builds on the burner right now with 2 on the back-burners and i'm working on my own DIY design as well.

I don't mind waiting as long as the wait is worth it and this is more than I expected.  Once you are done with your DIY design, please let me know.

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #44 of 49
With my hd 800 i use even for audio mastering purposes this excellent constant current drive balanced amplifier by Qes Labs :

http://www.qeslabs.com/e_listening.asp

a wire with gain with plenty of power to drive your hd 800.

It's a product aimed totally at the pro audio market.No sound coloration.

Since i've bought it i've stopped looking around for other amps because with all the others you listen to.With this you monitor the source.

Highly recommended!! 

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #45 of 49
Companies that don't have a price list put me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back