Balanced Solid State Amp
Feb 27, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by simmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Budget is probably around 2K USD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RSA Apache is $1K over-budget for the thread starter and would still be over-budget at used price too.

Apache is still over, but i figure there is some room there.
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #17 of 35
Yeah I'm most likely going to have a balanced beta22 commissioned to go along with my GS-X (I'm getting it tomorrow
biggrin.gif
) After the shootout one of the two will likely be for sale....

Feb 27, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I'm most likely going to have a balanced beta22 commissioned to go along with my GS-X (I'm getting it tomorrow
biggrin.gif
) After the shootout one of the two will likely be for sale....

A fair and non biased shootout of these two amps is something a lot of us would be interested in reading. I have my preconceived idea of which would win, but that's an idea totally lack of any hard evidence. I hope to read your impressions.

Feb 27, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #20 of 35
so with 1k, I can only get balanced Mini3 or CK2III?

Do you guys think a CA 840c will be overkill for balanced Mini3?

I already have a SE M3, probably I'd ask someone to build the other half of a balanced M3

Feb 28, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Apart from the Apache what other balanced solid state amps are available?

Budget is probably around 2K USD. The headphones I am using are Ultrasone Edition9's

Thanks

Hi Simmo,

Just curious, but are you looking for an alternative to the Apache?

Feb 28, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, Singlepower and lack of general information on its amps are synonymous. I've heard Mikhail is going to update his Web site later this year tho. And the Square Wave XL is definitely still in production.
smily_headphones1.gif

I also heard pigs are going to fly non-stop NYC-Denver in celebration...

Feb 28, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Simmo,

Just curious, but are you looking for an alternative to the Apache?

Kinda of, a friend is looking at getting a balanced setup but feels the Apache is abit too expensive.

My Apache is currently being sent back to Ray for repairs as the right balanced output was giving problems. Once it is back though, I'm 90% sure he is going to crack and get one after hearing it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Does anyone know how some of these amps that have been listed compare to the Apache?

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

My Apache is currently being sent back to Ray for repairs as the right balanced output was giving problems.

what do you mean?

Feb 28, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you mean?

When I plug in the right xlr headphone connection into the right output I would hear music + distortion. The left output was ok. e.g if I plugged my right or left headphone connection into the left Apache output it worked without any issue.

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so with 1k, I can only get balanced Mini3 or CK2III?

Do you guys think a CA 840c will be overkill for balanced Mini3?

I already have a SE M3, probably I'd ask someone to build the other half of a balanced M3

Hmm, don't you actually just need 1/3 of the M^3? After all, they are 3 channel amps. Just need to populate another board, and do some re-wiring (and the changing of plugs), and changing of power supply.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Feb 28, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #29 of 35
Is there any cheapest non-DIY balanced amp? tubes or SS fine.

Feb 28, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjj121 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you rate HR balanced amp? I'm very interested in getting a desktop balanced for its small size and price. Thanks.

It would be a good idea to make sure the posters have heard the amp and what they have compared it to before you start taking advice from them. Have you tried the search for any threads by owners of the amp? Also I think Headroom has a return policy. Might be worth looking into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back