Balanced Solid State Amp
Feb 27, 2008 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

simmo

New Head-Fier
Apart from the Apache what other balanced solid state amps are available?

Budget is probably around 2K USD. The headphones I am using are Ultrasone Edition9's

Thanks

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 35
You could have a Beta22 custom built for you. Configured correctly, you can even use it as an amp for efficient speakers.

The 4 channel kit is $340 at Glass Jar Audio, which leaves plenty left over for the build and any custom case you could want.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 35
balanced solid state amps

- RSA Apache
- HeadAmp GSX
- Beta22 (rockhopper audio builds them)
- HeadRoom Desktop and Home Balanced
- Rudistor NX33 and RPX100
- Moon Audio Luna (hybrid i believe)
- SinglePower (something custom made)

i think that's all or most of them.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 4 channel kit is $340 at Glass Jar Audio, which leaves plenty left over for the build and any custom case you could want.

Just a point of clarification, that doesn't begin to cover the cost of that build. While that represents the cost to populate the 4 amp channels you then need a at least one sigma22 power supply and really you should use two. So add a minimum of $110, but really $220 to that to get the raw parts cost ~$560. Then figure 2 large, even crappy chassis are going to cost ~$100 each and you're up near $800 (w/ shipping). You still don't have a volume control which is where the real pain hits. The cheapest is a 4-channel alps ~$50 if you're lucky, but I wouldn't use one for an amp like this. Next would be [2] DIY Steppers at ~$100 or you can go with any of the commercial offerings which start ~$200. Then you still need all of the chassis accessories which will run the better part of $100 if you're careful and much more if you're not. So as you can see, if you're talking just the cost of parts, I'd say $1000 is a reasonable number for the parts for a balanced beta22. Now, try and factor in that it probably takes 30hrs or so to build and case one and it's not hard to imagine a builder wanting $1500 or so for a completed version. I was recently asked to quote someone what I thought would be a reasonable price for a professionally built balanced beta22 (note: I don't build them) and my figure was closer to $2000. And if a "real" manufacturer ever built a balanced beta22 I'd expect that number to at least double and still be worth every cent.

Sorry to spend so much time harping on this but I get nervous when I see people throwing around numbers based on Jeff's kits which don't tell even half the story.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a point of clarification, that doesn't begin to cover the cost of that build. While that represents the cost to populate the 4 amp channels you then need a at least one sigma22 power supply and really you should use two. So add a minimum of $110, but really $220 to that to get the raw parts cost ~$560. Then figure 2 large, even crappy chassis are going to cost ~$100 each and you're up near $800 (w/ shipping). You still don't have a volume control which is where the real pain hits. The cheapest is a 4-channel alps ~$50 if you're lucky, but I wouldn't use one for an amp like this. Next would be [2] DIY Steppers at ~$100 or you can go with any of the commercial offerings which start ~$200. Then you still need all of the chassis accessories which will run the better part of $100 if you're careful and much more if you're not. So as you can see, if you're talking just the cost of parts, I'd say $1000 is a reasonable number for the parts for a balanced beta22. Now, try and factor in that it probably takes 30hrs or so to build and case one and it's not hard to imagine a builder wanting $1500 or so for a completed version. I was recently asked to quote someone what I thought would be a reasonable price for a professionally built balanced beta22 (note: I don't build them) and my figure was closer to $2000. And if a "real" manufacturer ever built a balanced beta22 I'd expect that number to at least double and still be worth every cent.

Sorry to spend so much time harping on this but I get nervous when I see people throwing around numbers based on Jeff's kits which don't tell even half the story.

So you're saying that the 4 channel kit is only $340? Thats cheap!

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 35
Yeah, so the 4-channel Beta22 kit is only $340?!

$340! That's the only number getting through my thick skull.
tongue.gif

But I might pay a premium for a balanced Beta22 made by Vince Vaughn.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 35
Just to add to the list, I believe that Eddie Current showed a prototype of a balanced SS amp at the Mayberry Meet a couple weeks ago.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to add to the list, I believe that Eddie Current showed a prototype of a balanced SS amp at the Mayberry Meet a couple weeks ago.

I may be wrong on this (I've been known for that from time to time), but I think that he's decided to not produce it at present, which would be too bad as it sounded quite good. I would like to have tried it out with some different headphones (there was a Grado love-fest happening in that part of the house), but didn't get around to it. jp blossoms has the scoop on it.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, so the 4-channel Beta22 kit is only $340?!

$340! That's the only number getting through my thick skull.
tongue.gif

But I might pay a premium for a balanced Beta22 made by Vince Vaughn.

wink.gif

But in all seriousness to the OP, in the last group buy Rockhopper Audio was charging just over cost of parts, a ridiculously low price considering the end product. I'm looking forward to receiving mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

where my smileys at up in this piece? i'm having a hard time expressing my emotions on this board without all my smilies.

Feb 27, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may be wrong on this (I've been known for that from time to time), but I think that he's decided to not produce it at present, which would be too bad as it sounded quite good. I would like to have tried it out with some different headphones (there was a Grado love-fest happening in that part of the house), but didn't get around to it. jp blossoms has the scoop on it.

does anyone know if Craig is still making the tube based one. i wrote him an email a while back (Nov of last year) and he said available in May of this year. no idea if that is still happening though.

Feb 27, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone know if Craig is still making the tube based one. i wrote him an email a while back (Nov of last year) and he said available in May of this year. no idea if that is still happening though.

I think you'd be best emailing him, as it does seem that the products he has decided to develop/produce have changed.

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
balanced solid state amps

- RSA Apache
- HeadAmp GSX
- Beta22 (rockhopper audio builds them)
- HeadRoom Desktop and Home Balanced
- Rudistor NX33 and RPX100
- Moon Audio Luna (hybrid i believe)
- SinglePower (something custom made)

i think that's all or most of them.

RSA Apache is $1K over-budget for the thread starter and would still be over-budget at used price too.
wink.gif

Also, balanced Beta 22s can be commissioned by other DIY-ers and amp builders, not just Rockhopper Audio.

HeadRoom Home Balanced, RudiStor RPX-100, and Moon Audio Luna are also over the thread starter's budget.

Singlepower's current balanced solid-state, the Square Wave XL, is not a custom amp.

The clear value leaders in current balanced solid-state amps on the market now are the balanced Beta 22, Singlepower Square Wave XL, HeadAmp GS-X, and HeadRoom Balanced Desktop.

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, balanced Beta 22s can be commissioned by other DIY-ers and amp builders, not just Rockhopper Audio.

Actually, I think you'd probably have a hard time commissioning one these days. Most builders are finding out just how much work they represent and how little people are willing to pay for it.
Quote:

Moon Audio Luna

Also, not solid state.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Singlepower's current balanced solid-state, the Square Wave XL, is not a custom amp.

Yeah, but where would you find any information about it. I'm not trying to knock Mikhail but I haven't seen much about this amp for a long, long time and honestly wondered if it was still in production.

Feb 27, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Actually, I think you'd probably have a hard time commissioning one these days. Most builders are finding out just how much work they represent and how little people are willing to pay for it.

True enough, but it's a DIY amp regardless and hence commissionable on that basis.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Yeah, but where would you find any information about it. I'm not trying to knock Mikhail but I haven't seen much about this amp for a long, long time and honestly wondered if it was still in production.

Heh, Singlepower and lack of general information on its amps are synonymous. I've heard Mikhail is going to update his Web site later this year tho. And the Square Wave XL is definitely still in production.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back