Balanced headphone amp, which one is your choice? RSAB52 or Rudistor RP010B MkII
Aug 2, 2008 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

peeradonn

100+ Head-Fier
Dear,

Now I'm cosider to buy RSA B-52 or Rudistor RP010B MkII but still hesitate which one is the best choice, do you have any comment/recommendation about this? The pre-amp function of B-52 is not necessary for me since I'll use it with my old lovely Mark levinson No.38S My Cans is HD650 K701 and GS1000 all recabled to be balanced by equinox cable.

Please help,

Kim

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 11
The B-52 is a balanced tube amp and the RP010B MKII is a balanced solid-state amp, do you not care or have a preference?

If you just want a balanced amp, cheaper options can be had like the HeadRoom Balanced Home ($3K) or the HeadAmp GS-X ($2.2K). You'd save quite a bit of money and both of them are well-designed amps. Just because the B-52 and RP010B MKII are more expensive doesn't necessarily make them better amps and price isn't a reliable indicator of quality either. Though if you'd prefer a cost-no-object level of balanced amp, the highest levels can be attained from the DIY Beta 22 amp for solid-state and the TTVJ Millett 307A for tubes. I've heard both and both were very impressive.

I would also advise you to reconsider the Equinox re-cable in favor of APureSound or Moon Audio. If I could go back in time, I would not have had my K701 re-cabled with the Equinox for a variety of personal reasons that reflect negatively on both the cable and SAA.

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The B-52 is a balanced tube amp and the RP010B MKII is a balanced solid-state amp, do you not care or have a preference?

If you just want a balanced amp, cheaper options can be had like the HeadRoom Balanced Home ($3K) or the HeadAmp GS-X ($2.2K). You'd save quite a bit of money and both of them are well-designed amps. Just because the B-52 and RP010B MKII are more expensive doesn't necessarily make them better amps and price isn't a reliable indicator of quality either. Though if you'd prefer a cost-no-object level of balanced amp, the highest levels can be attained from the DIY Beta 22 amp for solid-state and the TTVJ Millett 307A for tubes. I've heard both and both were very impressive.

I would also advise you to reconsider the Equinox re-cable in favor of APureSound or Moon Audio. If I could go back in time, I would not have had my K701 re-cabled with the Equinox for a variety of personal reasons that reflect negatively on both the cable and SAA.

Dear ARS,

Thanks for your opinion, but I prefer to buy only B-52 or Rp010B MkII Only, Thanks also for equinox issue but it's too late now, and I'm very happy with equinox.

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 11
Well the B-52 and RP010B MKII are different amps and you haven't stated what you're looking for from an amp exactly. I don't see how any one person's opinion is going to be relevant to your decision if you don't know what you're looking for.

I'd highly advise against buying either amp blind unless you find them used and can hence re-sell at minimal loss, or unless you can audition either. Going to meets is a great way to audition equipment, even if informally. If you're in the USA and aren't on a particular timeline, I'd suggest waiting for the next meet that Ray Samuels attends, as he tends to bring his B-52 to every large meet. Just keep an eye on the Meets forum from time to time.

Between the B-52 and RP010B MKII though, I'd personally be more inclined towards the B-52, for the mere reason that RSA is based in the USA and RudiStor isn't. And RudiStor's return policy seems to be only 7 days, whereas RSA's seems to be 30 days. Only if I had to pick between the two though, as I wouldn't personally buy either and would much rather sooner get a HeadRoom, the Millett 307A, or an EAR HP4 (since I've extensively heard the GS-X and B22).

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 11
Dear Ars,

Thanks for your kind opinion. Now I made my choice, I'll go rudistor, This is due to the price and the function of B-52 Preamp which I don't need ( I let my Mark Levinson No.38S to do this job ) the B-52 seems to be a better choice if I can afford it, I have to pay more 1500 USD If I want B-52 instead of RP010B MkII. For your question, I need to find a balanced headphone amp to drive my 650 701 and GS1000 and I want the best one! it can be Solid state or Hybrid or tube.

Thanks, Hope I choose the right choice on Rudistor

Kim

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 11
peeradonn, if you're set on the Rudistor, enjoy them.

I'd like to say, the best 'headphone' setup I've ever heard in my life included Meridian 808 > B-52 > Balanced HD650 w/ SAA Equinox

That's all.

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 11
Where did you get the idea that these two are the best ones?
I get the feeling that you asked someone "Hey, which are some of the most expensive balanced amps out there?" and someone spit out the names of these two.

Unless you are so filthy rich that this is chump change to you, do some research before your purchase, man.
Or better yet, try to listen to them, so you can get a more informed opinion from the person that matters most: your own ears.
The Rudistor amp is 3500 in Euro by the way, that makes it about the same price as the B52.

I have not heard any of these amps (but like many, I like to read about gear), but I would advise you to take up the Beta 22 and the new TTVJ 307A amp under consideration too.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 11
[size=11pt]I think, the best choice for solid top high end amp is the Rudistor’s RP 010B. B-52 is excellent tube amp with precise construction, I think B-52 is more hybrid. When you want to tube amp there Balancing act is excellent choice with good price tag. But naturally, WA 22 is perfect idea too. All depends what you expect. When you want top sound reproduction, then the recabling with very serious headphone cable is necessary. Stefan Audio Art can deliver you excellent cable for you. Or, when you want very individualy preciselly made cable for your headphones, the cable which satisfies all special properties of your headphones, then Mr. Kraut from Czech republic can do for you the reference quality headphone cable for you, ideal one for amps like RP 010B or B-52. But naturally, the pricetag is higher then „consume class“ cables. Simply said, what you expect from sound reproduction. If you want top silid amp then Rudistor. If you want to tube amp B-52 or Balancing act, but when you are top music enthusiast, then purchase both one solid and one tube. For concrete type of music you can do best choice for you as you want, where is better to apply tube one, you can use B-52 or BA, where you want to detail or soundstage, for classical music or blues, then solids. When you want electric music and top details, solids etc and etc.[/size]

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 11
I also highly recommend attending a meet before committing this level of money. If I were to buy a high-end balanced amp, I'd look to the Balancing Act, TTVJ 307A and a Beta22. Heck, I'd also look at a custom made from any of the popular DIY designs - almost all of them can be built balanced. I'd do a lot more homework before committing this level of money, though.

Aug 2, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Holly old thread!

It doesn't matter. Shilling about Mr Kraut cables is everywhere and always right. Regarding the amps - Rudistor RP-010 MkII seems to be the best choice for solid state amps. It's a no feedback design (first advantage over Beta22) with quad mono supply (second advantage over Beta22) and military standard assembly including screening and component selection - third and the biggest advantage over any Beta22 build you can obtain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back