Balanced HD800 Impressions
Oct 12, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #166 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very nice. i bet the black dragon is a good match with the 800. i like those connectors too.

Thanks!

I will hold off on impressions for a while on the Black dragon. But, I have tried APS V3 balanced cables with nuetricks and another with Furutech XLRs. My advice go with the furutech xlrs if going for APS, I personally found the difference in SQ due to the connectors far from subtle. Also tried a locally DIYed murdoff .5mm cable balanced with Neutrick HD XLRs. I found I liked the Black Dragon to my liking compared to the other 3 balanced cables I was lucky to try. =)

Now have to wait for the silver dragon. =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This connector is weird, mine are nothing like that (I bought them from APS). Mine are exactly like the HD-800 default conectors, not having the piece second from the left, and the left most piece being much simpler.

I found though that 24 AWG wires will fit (Cryo Parts OCCC) so I imagine 22 AWG would be the largest size that would fit, with some removal of the insulation around the wires.

I believe I had the same standard connector. I found the one posted in the picture. Different from what I had terminated my black dragon with.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #167 of 226
I am interested in the SAA Voice, for those that recable with the Voice, is it still worth the jump after a month or two? I appreciate very much for further feedback regardless good or bad.

Also, do you know with hardwiring the Voice to the HD800 and bypasing the limitation of the connector, was the Voice able to use use heavier gauge wiring? Or could it be the reason why they still don't have a detachable version?

For those of you that have the Voice, was there any other considerations besides the Voice?

Thanks for your input.

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #168 of 226
I have become EXTREMELY happy with my balanced Voice HD800's. I believe that the reason they are hardwired is due to the thickness of the cable and the removal of one potential weak link in the signal transmission chain...namely the connector. I would not switch different cables in-and-out anyway, so there really was no point in keeping a connector in the chain that could potentially degrade the signal.

Bottom line, if I had to do it all over again, would I have my HD800's recabled with SAA Voice, even with the high price?

YES.

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #169 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have become EXTREMELY happy with my balanced Voice HD800's. I believe that the reason they are hardwired is due to the thickness of the cable and the removal of one potential weak link in the signal transmission chain...namely the connector. I would not switch different cables in-and-out anyway, so there really was no point in keeping a connector in the chain that could potentially degrade the signal.

Bottom line, if I had to do it all over again, would I have my HD800's recabled with SAA Voice, even with the high price?

YES.

Thank much for your feedback. Did you have the white sleeve that is no longer available or the current version (black sleeve)?

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #170 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank much for your feedback. Did you have the white sleeve that is no longer available or the current version (black sleeve)?

I had the choice and made the one that people with good taste and proper esthetic perspective would make....BLACK!
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #171 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the choice and made the one that people with good taste and proper esthetic perspective would make....BLACK!
tongue.gif

That would be me also. I finally pull the trigger and order the Balance Voice and now on to the waiting. Thanks.

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #172 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This connector is weird, mine are nothing like that (I bought them from APS). Mine are exactly like the HD-800 default conectors, not having the piece second from the left, and the left most piece being much simpler.

I found though that 24 AWG wires will fit (Cryo Parts OCCC) so I imagine 22 AWG would be the largest size that would fit, with some removal of the insulation around the wires.

Our connectors here at APureSound are custom modded so that you do not need to glue anything to be able to use them with large gauge wires.
smile.gif

hd800c2.JPG

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #173 of 226
WOW.. can it get better than this?

Got my hardwired Voice (black sheath, black furutech) burned in with Voice XLR to 1/4" adapter from James about 100 hours of playing time. Very professional job when it came back to me, the furutechs are so hot looking and the wood is a nice touch. BTW the cable is even more bendable/flexible than stock.

Best sound I have heard from my system so far, coming from xlr to 1/4" into my MPX3. I can't wait to see the improvement when I go balanced with a BA. Once I get the BA I will be comparing HD800 balanced and single ended (using matching adapter should minimize other factors) along with my hd650 balanced and single ended (both with zu mobius v1, no adapter). I love the hd800s and this cable.

Brian

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #174 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Our connectors here at APureSound are custom modded so that you do not need to glue anything to be able to use them with large gauge wires.
smile.gif

But then they aren't shielded no? One of the ideas of the stock is that its 100% shielded all the way and correct me if I'm wrong but most of these after marked cables are not even shielded and that is something everybody can agree should be done.
wink.gif

To be frank its highly questionable from a pure engineering science perspective that any cable is worth just a percentage of its, in audio world very high, cost if its not shielded all the way, end-to-end including connectors unless one agues that you "modify" the sound by EMI etc.

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #175 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Got my hardwired Voice (black sheath, black furutech) burned in with Voice XLR to 1/4" adapter from James about 100 hours of playing time. Very professional job when it came back to me, the furutechs are so hot looking and the wood is a nice touch. BTW the cable is even more bendable/flexible than stock.

Best sound I have heard from my system so far, coming from xlr to 1/4" into my MPX3. I can't wait to see the improvement when I go balanced with a BA. Once I get the BA I will be comparing HD800 balanced and single ended (using matching adapter should minimize other factors) along with my hd650 balanced and single ended (both with zu mobius v1, no adapter). I love the hd800s and this cable.

Brian

Congrats, Brian! I hope you have great luck with perhaps the best headphone/cable in existence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be frank its highly questionable from a pure engineering science perspective that any cable is worth just a percentage of its, in audio world very high, cost if ...

This reminds me of the phrase "If it measures well and sounds bad, then it is bad. If is measures poorly and sounds good, then you have measured the wrong thing." In many areas of high-end audio, I would doubt that the things we hear as improvements in sound reproduction can be explained/measured "from a pure engineering science perspective." Yet here we are, and the ears hear what the ears hear, despite being able to explain it or not.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #176 of 226
Quote:

Brian

Gratz! Got the Voice adapter too...haven't tried it yet tbh. My HD800 is running balanced on m B52 ofc...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #177 of 226
Quote:

smile.gif

hd800c2.JPG

Looks good Alex!

Oct 17, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #178 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gratz! Got the Voice adapter too...haven't tried it yet tbh. My HD800 is running balanced on m B52 ofc...
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess you aren't missing much running directly balanced
600smile.gif

You could burn in your adapter with your balanced hd650 into the S/E plug on b-52! Be interested to hear your thoughts of s/e hd650 vs balanced.

Alex - those custom connectors look great.

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #179 of 226
Quote:

smile.gif

hd800c2.JPG

Thanks for that. Explains my confusion! I hadn't realised about the modded connectors, but regardless I'm glad they were.

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #180 of 226
Quote:

Brian

Just got a quote for the adapter for my hardwired voice: $700 !?!?!??!!??

$700 for two xlr connectors and a phone plug? If I'd know this beforehand I wouldn't have gotten the Voice hardwired....or maybe not at all.

joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back