Balanced HD800 Impressions
Oct 9, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #151 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ i asked for black dragon. said not available for 800. not sure if he meant not available yet or not at all.

the silver dragon is definitely sounding better with burn in but it is not quite there yet.

I think Drew means not at all (I asked him to make one as well). My *guess* is that it is quite difficult or impossible to terminate the Black Dragon with the HD800 connectors because of the thickness of the cable... this is just my guess though.

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #152 of 226
Ditto for the Vortex pricing. I am assuming he still does not have the website up?

Oct 9, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #153 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Drew means not at all (I asked him to make one as well). My *guess* is that it is quite difficult or impossible to terminate the Black Dragon with the HD800 connectors because of the thickness of the cable... this is just my guess though.

That seems logical. I have read that one of the limitations in recabling the HD800's is that the small size of the connector precludes using larger diameter cables. You could always ask him to hardwire it with Black Dragon, if the connectors are the limiting factor.

I love Drew's work as I have had multiple headphones recabled with either SD or Black Dragon. I also wonder about the lower priced cables from Stefan AudioArt. I am incredibly impressed with the Voice so I would surmise that his lower priced offerings would offer tremendous value.

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #154 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much is that cable. is there a website.

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto for the Vortex pricing. I am assuming he still does not have the website up?

indeed the website is still under development, but very close now, just made the last payment to the web designer along with some more copy. I was a graphic designer in a past life (compositing primarily) so i've been a bit of a control freak in this process. It was difficult for me to hand over control at all, but its all in the works and will be sorted out VERY shortly. I do apologize for the delay, been too busy lately to give it the time it deserves.

I expect the the site to be mostly up by this time next week. cant comment on price in here sorry

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #155 of 226
Just to show up my SAA Equinox LE Balanced with Lawton Connectors for HD800.
atsmile.gif

14994d2660.jpg

11ef1acefb.jpg

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #156 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I paid $770, which included the 1/4 inch adaptor. Worth every penny.

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #157 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by iTui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to show up my SAA Equinox LE Balanced with Lawton Connectors for HD800.
atsmile.gif

brilliant idea. wish i had thought of that.

Oct 9, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #158 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That seems logical. I have read that one of the limitations in recabling the HD800's is that the small size of the connector precludes using larger diameter cables.

The size of the original connector is absolutely an impediment to big wires - even if you ream out the base of the connector to let a fatter wire and sleeve through the wire must fit up into the barrel of the connector which cannot be reamed out and do it without shorting anything against the barrel. You can go a little bit bigger gauge, but not by much.

So, how much bigger are the Lawton connectors and why haven't I heard of them before?

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #160 of 226
For my case, I didn't use the 2 parts (see pic.) of a Lawton connector set so that 2 mm diameter wires ( 1 mm each) can fit up into the barrel of the connector. Then acrylic glue was applied to secure wires in place. It works perfectly.

2ef5781511.jpg

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #161 of 226
Quote:

For my case, I didn't use the 2 parts (see pic.) of a Lawton connector set so that 2 mm diameter wires ( 1 mm each) can fit up into the barrel of the connector. Then acrylic glue was applied to secure wires in place. It works perfectly.

2ef5781511.jpg

Yeah, with my double helix cable we had to leave out some of those parts too, in order for the cable to make it into the connector.

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #162 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually the Black dragon wires can fit the original HD800 connectors. But it was really a tight SQUEEZE. I asked help from a friend (I suck in soldering) to re-terminate my SE Black Dragon to HD800 connectors and Oyaide XLRs.

2zxr22u.jpg

*Kudos to Darkkopi for the pic of my headphone on our last Headphone meet. =)

Now waiting for another set of HD800 connectors for my Silver dragon (which i plan to use Cardas XLRS). =)

Oct 12, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #163 of 226
those look amazing. best looking hd800s ive seen.

Oct 12, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #165 of 226
Quote:

2ef5781511.jpg

This connector is weird, mine are nothing like that (I bought them from APS). Mine are exactly like the HD-800 default conectors, not having the piece second from the left, and the left most piece being much simpler.

I found though that 24 AWG wires will fit (Cryo Parts OCCC) so I imagine 22 AWG would be the largest size that would fit, with some removal of the insulation around the wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back