Balanced HD800 Impressions
Sep 8, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #91 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
using cardas golden reference as a headphone cable. that is very patrick82-esqe.

now i want one too.
biggrin.gif

i wonder if drew at moon audio could make one . . . hmmm. wait. 2M of GR is pretty expensive. 3M is ouch!

I suppose it's not really something I would do normally but the original owner of the cable was selling for a very good price and since I'm such a huge fan of the GR I couldn't resist
tongue.gif
. Now I'm glad I didn't resist! But I don't think I could have dropped the money for a new one.

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #93 of 226
You've given me more motivation to try a warped idea I've had which is similar, which is to obtain the inner wires of some famous ICs from the manufacturer. It depends on the manufacturer agreeing to send or sell me some though.

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #94 of 226
Actually the idea of using cables from ICs isn't that new.

Here in SG, jaben is selling a Crystal Cable Piccolino wired Balanced HD800 cables. They have been doing several headphones and iems in this cable. =)

HD800 Cable... Powered by Crystal Piccolino

I haven't ried it and I have no lpans of getting one for the moment. =)

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #95 of 226
Has any one tried the SAA Equinox (for HD650) Balanced cable with HD800? How is the sound? Thanks.

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #96 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by iTui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has any one tried the SAA Equinox (for HD650) Balanced cable with HD800? How is the sound? Thanks.

The connectors are not compatible, thus it's impossible to try that. Otherwise, I would have done it, owning a balanced HD650 Equinox.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #97 of 226
I just hooked up my balanced cable yesterday. It is built with ALO's SXC wire. The way I would describe the change is like this : With the single ended connection, I had a large plate full of appetizers. Everything was there on the plate and it was very satisfying. Now that I am using the other half of my amplifier (Supra-XLR) it added some Meat and Potatoes to the plate. The extra voltage really filled things in and brought the cans to life. The sound sig doesn't change, but it adds this effortless authority to the cans. I am very pleased at the change.

I am not a huge believer is large changes in wire material - so don't ask about that. I just like the use of quality materials.

It seems as the upper end is tamed now too, but this is because the rest of the spectrum has been fleshed out too - so it does not make notice to itself.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #98 of 226
My new recabled HD800's are breaking in fairly well. One thing the recabling did not help to a great degree...the lack of bass weight. Previous comments made me hope for a little more. The headphone's bass is tight and tuneful, but relatively lightweight, especially compared to my balanced and recabled CD3000's and SA5000's. There is also more drum resonance heard through the two Sony's. I hear the the skin's of the drums just fine through all, but the body of the drums is a bit truncated via the Sennheisers. Again, not what I expected. The cymbals also are a little whiter via the HD800's, where are a bit more colorful via the Sony's.

Will further break-in help? God I hope so.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #99 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Will further break-in help? God I hope so.

Could be, but can't be sure as mine was burnt-in before shipping to me.
What I can say is that my HD800 does exhibit even more bass than my old recabled, balanced HD650, yet, it's a different bass perception: it sounds more focused and it doesn't mask anything in the rest of the spectrum, something I couldn't say about the HD650. Could be that there's not a perfect sinergy with the rest of your setup? But I seem to remember you are quite well served gearwise...

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #100 of 226
I also considered a synergy issue. The TTVJ 307A is wonderful with every other headphone I have tried, so I expected nothing less for the HD800's. However, I have not had the ability to hear the HD800's with other balanced amps to know if there is a better pairing to be had. As what others have said about the HD800's is a little different than what I have experienced, then perhaps synergy is an issue. Then again, I may be more sensative to the "negative" portions of the sound signature of the HD800's, especially in regards to the whitish treble, which is a sound issue that many different types of gear have that I find annoying.

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #101 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also considered a synergy issue. The TTVJ 307A is wonderful with every other headphone I have tried, so I expected nothing less for the HD800's. However, I have not had the ability to hear the HD800's with other balanced amps to know if there is a better pairing to be had. As what others have said about the HD800's is a little different than what I have experienced, then perhaps synergy is an issue. Then again, I may be more sensative to the "negative" portions of the sound signature of the HD800's, especially in regards to the whitish treble, which is a sound issue that many different types of gear have that I find annoying.

Have you tried rolling input or output tubes to see if that makes a difference? I would suggest at least giving that a shot if you have not already.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #102 of 226
I have a feeling that you really can't add much bass to these. Especially with how open they are and add that to the very large amount of air space inside + around your ear in the cup.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #103 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a feeling that you really can't add much bass to these. Especially with how open they are and add that to the very large amount of air space inside + around your ear in the cup.

There's plenty of space between a sub and my ears.

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #104 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's plenty of space between a sub and my ears.

Well isn't that special???

Your sub is a freeair 50mm driver that plays full range flat below 20hz to above 20khz off of milliwatts? No - well that sucks, but thanks for you super post.

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #105 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well isn't that special???

Your sub is a freeair 50mm driver that plays full range flat below 20hz to above 20khz off of milliwatts? No - well that sucks, but thanks for you super post.

Well, nothing is flat for that frequency range anyways. The way you generalize, one would think no open headphones would ever be able to make bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back