Balanced Drive sounds better? How?!
Feb 26, 2012 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

akiroz

Previously known as b1o2r3i4s5.
I recently came across balanced headphone driving and just don't understand how this will make it sound better.
I understand how Balanced line transmission can cancel out interference induced to the cable using a Differential receiver.
but a headphone with a max cable length of maybe 5 meters?

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 24
The (headphone) driver is usually the weakest link so I don't see a balanced amp making the sound much better if at all. On a nice unbalanced amp neither distortion, nor noise or crosstalk is a problem which are areas a balanced amp could improve.

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 24
As I understand it, with some headphones, the increased voltage swing can make a difference. But otherwise, it appears to be mostly marketing. 

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
Read this and learn:
http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/art-i-balanced-vs-unbalanced.php

All well and good but it would be nice to see the results of some level matched blind tests and/or some FR measurements for the different ( balanced/unbalanced) configurations

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 24
It's a design choice, like the rest of an amp's circuit. Every designer has their own ideas about what works best for what they wish to achieve.

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
It's a design choice, like the rest of an amp's circuit. Every designer has their own ideas about what works best for what they wish to achieve.

True, but just being a choice doesn't necessarily justify it. I can choose to smear cake over my PCB and even entertain the idea that it works best for optimum treble clarity...it's a deliberately stupid example, but the principle of being able to challenge a design choice stands, especially when the advantages are ill-defined and/or offset by significant disadvantages.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 24
I made a simple test circuit on a breadboard to try out Balanced drive, its basically a OP-amp output stage using 2 OP's per channel, both unity gain but one is configured to be inverting.
the test headphone is AKG K518 since it can take up to 2.5W (incase something bad happened, with a breadboard you never know...) and already have individual cables for each channel.
I hear no difference compared to driving it normally with 2 OP's parallel configured unity. So.... that means it doesn't make much difference?

btw nice DP Willakan, Fourier series :)

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1o2r3i4s5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So.... that means it doesn't make much difference?

Exactly that.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
I hear no difference compared to driving it normally with 2 OP's parallel configured unity. So.... that means it doesn't make much difference?

How does that apply to amplifiers with a dominant second order harmonic distortion? 
How does it apply to amps with lowish damping factor? Lets define it as anything less than 5 single ended.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

How does that apply to amplifiers with a dominant second order harmonic distortion? 
How does it apply to amps with lowish damping factor? Lets define it as anything less than 5 single ended.

Even order distortion is reduced, and output impedance is increased (so lower damping factor). But for reducing the distortion, it might be more cost effective to build a better amplifier with unbalanced output.

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #15 of 24
I haven't expressed an opinion on the merits and value of balanced sources/headphones, because I am not an expert on the matter. Just pointing out what should be obvious - that any claims of improved sound quality from a website that sells said equipment should be treated with suspicion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back