Balanced Dac Questions
Jul 4, 2009 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

KingStyles

Headphoneus Supremus
After looking around a little it seems there is a hole in the balanced dac selection. There is a lot of units around 1000 and a couple around 3 grand but there seems there is a hole after that from the 3k to 5k range. There also seems there is not a lot of variety of balanced dacs unless you diy one. There is only a couple of nos dacs and none of them would be considered hi end. Its seems a little unbalanced that there is a lot of highend balanced amps that are a step above the rest but where are the balanced dacs to really get the most out of those high eand rigs?

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 17
I do not fully catch your question...
Under $500 you have the DacMagic, around 1k Lavry, around 2-3k Weiss, and 5k Berkeley.
So... you just miss a 4k balanced DAC?

Jul 4, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 17
I hadnt seen the berkley dac. I guess if source is so important, what balanced dacs are getting paired up with the higher end balanced amps. I guess I like variety when choosing to get the flavor that best suites me rather than having to accept the product thats available because its the only one available. There is a lot of info for 1500 ondown but a lot less info on the higher end balanced dacs.

Jul 4, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a lot of info for 1500 ondown but a lot less info on the higher end balanced dacs.

What sort of information are you looking for?

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio-gd Reference-1 for $1500. Truely balanced unlike some of the others listed which share power supplies and DAC's.

How many psu’s has got nothing to with true balanced operation.

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 17
Also if it truly uses 2 boards for 1500 you probably are only getting 700 dollars worth of sound quality.

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

What sort of information are you looking for?

Well right now I am using an isabellina dac which I really love, but I have been thinking about going balanced but havent seen any hi end dac that woud seem to have the anlog/musical flavor that I have come to love. I am thinking about possibly contacting a mod company about having my isabellina turned into a balanced dac by attaching coupling transformers to the ouput. I dont know how this will change the sound though.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many psu’s has got nothing to with true balanced operation.

Yep, you're right on that- I guess I was referring more to the dual mono nature of the design (as stated above)- 4 1704UK chips per side, separated enclosure. If someone can find more technology for the money, please let me know. And yes, it does equate to high quality sound IMO as well as quite a few others. If I am sounding like a fan (of high value), I am.

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #12 of 17
Im sure its a great sounding dac. The only point I was trying to make is for 1500, you need two of everything in that design. Would a 1500 single ended dac sound better because it allows the manufacture to use higher quality of parts or use a better power supply for the cost? If you just took half of the audio dac so it was just single ended and used the leftover 600-700 dollars for upgraded parts and a better power supply, I think the single ended version of it would sound better than the balanced. Thats why I feel it isnt worth going balanced untill you get up higher in price where balanced will start to top single ended.

Jul 5, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well right now I am using an isabellina dac which I really love, but I have been thinking about going balanced but havent seen any hi end dac that woud seem to have the anlog/musical flavor that I have come to love. I am thinking about possibly contacting a mod company about having my isabellina turned into a balanced dac by attaching coupling transformers to the ouput. I dont know how this will change the sound though.

Yeah, you probably want to find out what transformers would be used and then contact Vinnie at Red Wine to ask what the impact might be. A transformer is going to add its own impedance, capacitance, and inductance to the output stage.

The other thing to consider is the internal circuit will still be unbalanced. So adding transformers won't be that much different than making use of a direct box.

Jul 5, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio-gd Reference-1 for $1500. Truely balanced unlike some of the others listed which share power supplies and DAC's.

x2. I have one on order now. The technology in this is very similar to the Esoteric D-01 which is about $10,000, and similar to the Mark Levinson 30.6 which is also up around that price range. Audio-gd equipment is ridiculously cheap for the quality of gear they offer. Owning the Audio-gd Phoenix balanced amp and looking at the internals, if that were made in the U.S. or Europe it would easily cost between $3.5K and $5K.

Jul 5, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. I have one on order now. The technology in this is very similar to the Esoteric D-01 which is about $10,000, and similar to the Mark Levinson 30.6 which is also up around that price range. Audio-gd equipment is ridiculously cheap for the quality of gear they offer. Owning the Audio-gd Phoenix balanced amp and looking at the internals, if that were made in the U.S. or Europe it would easily cost between $3.5K and $5K.

PJ, that Esoteric DAC is mono, two are needed- it's a $20,000 DAC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back